+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer

Beer

I've been drinking beer from cans for awhile, but someone told me bottled beer is better tasting. Does anyone know why??

A lot of people think that beer in cans tastes "tinny" and slightly metallic, versus bottled beer.

Cans also can be affected by poor manufacturing processes which introduce lubricants, paints, and other contaminants into your beer.

But either way, oxidation happens, because the bottle also has a metal cap. Most quality beers remove the oxygen from the can or bottle before sealing, and can get down to 1 or 2 percent oxygen.

It also matters how your distributor and retailer store the beer. Beer stored for a week at 80 degrees F will taste as bad as beer stored for a year at 40 degreed F, because of the oxidation.

Light also reacts with the hops in the beer to make it "skunky". Brown bottles and cans can prevent skunking, but green and clear bottles do not. A bottle of beer in a green or clear bottle, exposed to flourescent light for about an hour, can "skunk" noticeably. Miller Brewing uses a specially formulated hop that doesn't skunk, but produces a slightly different flavor that hops used by other breweries.

Draft beer from a keg is ideal for true taste, because unlike canned or bottled beer, it is rarely pasteurized or even filtered (cans and bottles are heated after filling to pasteurize them, and filtered before filling). However, you need to find yourself a bar that cleans its lines once in a while, or you won't be able to tell the difference.

John, thanks! I bought a six pack of miller lite in the cans, and it tasted metallic, yuck. Any advice on what kind of beer I should get? Love to hear your thoughts.

Wow, that's like asking what kind of car you should buy.

Everyone has different tastes. Mine vary. When I go to the bar, I usually get Coors Light (in a bottle - I only drink beer from bottles, and only drink cola from cans). But if there's a good microbrew I'll get that once in a while, and sometimes I'm in the mood for a Labatt's or a Guinness.

My friend who goes to the bar with me likes Bud, and likes it in a can.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Wow, that's like asking what kind of car you should buy.

Everyone has different tastes. Mine vary. When I go to the bar, I usually get Coors Light (in a bottle - I only drink beer from bottles, and only drink cola from cans). But if there's a good microbrew I'll get that once in a while, and sometimes I'm in the mood for a Labatt's or a Guinness.

My friend who goes to the bar with me likes Bud, and likes it in a can.
    personally my choice in beer is as politcal as anything else. because of it, I tend to buy microbrews exclusively. In the seattle area they are cheap, good and plentiful...
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Hhmmm Duff Beeeeerrrr................

tv_is_fake, are you old enough to be drinking beer?!!?

anyway, i like the new michelob ultra. however, no real beer drinker would ever approve of my choice.

I was thinking the same thing about tv's age, sher.

Anyway. . . if I don't want to taste beer I drink Rolling Rock, otherwise I really enjoy Newcastle and Guinness.
    Who shot who in the what now?

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    wow- who knew Norm has been posing as John this whole time?

I prefer Bass or Newcastle from a keg and Yuengling from a bottle. When i was doing my undergrad in PA, Yuengling was a local microbrew- a great local beer that was dirt cheap. I know they now brew/distribute Yuengling at Ybors in Tampa- so it is available down here in FL (and who knows where else?)! GOOD TIMES!
    Quinn's advice for the day- if you haven't- you have to try Yuengling once- you wont be dissapointed...

I have to echo Quinn here - Yuengling is good stuff. And I don't even particularly like beer (liquor, on the other hand...)

Yuengling seems to be a solely east coast thing, though. Here's a list of distributors:
    http://www.yuengling.com/distrib.htm

Edit: "Seems to bee?" Yeah, I had to change that.
    Last edited by Amanda; 09-11-2003 at 12:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast