+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: What were you in high school?

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    What a fun thread and WOW what a lot of talented people come to the Fort every day!

In HS, I was a shy, closet dork that liked to give the impression that I rode on the wild side just so I wouldn't be picked on by my "cool" friends for being a straight A student.

I started out as a volleyball/basketball player (5'9") but I transferred to a special school for Art after my freshman year.

Graduated one year early in '86,
    3rd in my class (there's no word for that-just 3rd)
    National Honors Society, 3 scholarships
    Recipient of many artsy awards

I've done nothing with art for my career-go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    In HS, I was a shy, closet dork that liked to give the impression that I rode on the wild side just so I wouldn't be picked on by my "cool" friends for being a straight A student.
    I'd like to borrow this line fand insert it in my post. I rode on the wild side - just not too far
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

FORT Fogey
    Daddio in high school = Jock/Stoner

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    A kindered spirit, I also played bass clarinet (less competition)!
    Yeah plus it was cooler!

Glad I found this thread...very revealing stuff. I feel like I know you all even better now (why do I feel like adding a sinister chuckle to that? Oh well, Mwah ha ha ha!)

I was like a lot of you.

My high school was pretty big, and I was shy, so I was fairly invisible. Luckily for me, the coolest kids were the smart ones (class president, captain of the football team, head cheerleader, etc.) so the nerds had it easy, good representation.

I was a clean and sober virgin (and still very glad that I chose that path). English was my favorite class, and I took the bare minimum of required math (still not using any of those stupid equations, Mr. Barber, so there! You can get through everyday life without algebra, trust me kids). P.E. was my own personal hell (I was dangerously uncoordinated). I had a little circle of nerdlet friends that I had a lot of fun with, but I never did the party scene. Dated a little, got my heart broken twice, and had a few long standing crushes that I never divulged.

High school wasn't too bad for me, but college was a thousand times more fun, and I highly recommend it to anyone who isn't sure if that's what they want to do.

By the way, Paulie, Class of '92 so rulz over class of '88.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    ....but college was a thousand times more fun, and I highly recommend it to anyone who isn't sure if that's what they want to do.

The best decision of my life was to go away to college. Lots more fun than high school.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    The best decision of my life was to go away to college. Lots more fun than high school.
    My "what were you in college" list would be totally different from my high school one.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    My "what were you in college" list would be totally different from my high school one.
    Amen to that sister Thank god for college.

ETA: Not to mention the fact that the sober virgin thing went the way of the dodo
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I was the girl in school with the multi-coloured hair and the thrift shop clothes.I thought I was Molly Ringwald.I had a good time in school.Not with the schoolwork.mind you,but I was friends with all of the popular kids and I also partied with the rocker crowd Good times.In our grad survey I was voted "Most Original".I thought that was pretty cool.
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

I agree completely. College taught me responsiblity, independence and how to fix my own mistakes. Plus how to flick a bottle cap 50 yards and how to drink a beer in about a second. Even though i don't use much of the classroom knowledge i learned in college (I'm a computer programmer, but i didn't take a single computer class back then), i think i learned more at college than any other time in my life.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread