+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: What were you in high school?

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Moreso because I went to a "smart" highschool, and our freaking team name was "The Engineers". Yeah. We should have just bit the bullet and had our mascot be a guy with a short-sleeved white dress shirt and a bad tie. Bah.
    Can you imagine the football teams at other schools having to admit they'd been beaten by the "Engineers"? I can just see the headlines now... "Engineers Thrash Cougars".... "Engineers Stomp Bulldogs"..... "Panthers Upset Engineers"...
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    And lest any of you think I'm kidding, here's the proof:

http://www.hcths.com/oldindex.html

Check that guy out. I know engineers. I know a lot of engineers. None of them look like that.

Edited to add: I mean, come ON. The man is holding a freaking COMPASS. Wtf.
    That's one badass engineer! And he keeps chasing my mouse!

As the page was loading, I was expecting an open-shirted Harlequin romance kind of engineer with long, flowing hair and a square jaw. 'Cause none of them look like that, either.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Fade to black
    I was a brainy jock who was painfully shy and insecure around girls (I didn't have my first kiss or date until after high school). I had lots of friends though. I just couldn't ask a girl out to save my life (hell, I still have that problem, it takes me forever to get the nerve up).
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

That little engineer mascot looked a lot more fiesty than most engineers I've met.

My high school was "smart" too. Our football team's claim to fame was that it's average GPA was the highest in the state. The win/loss average wasn't as exciting.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by hazyshadeof
    I was a brainy jock who was painfully shy and insecure around girls (I didn't have my first kiss or date until after high school). I had lots of friends though. I just couldn't ask a girl out to save my life (hell, I still have that problem, it takes me forever to get the nerve up).
    Sometimes that shy thing can work to your advantage, Hazy. When my now-boyfriend first asked for my number (in a skeezy bar) he said it had taken him 20 minutes to get up the nerve to come over to me. I figured this lowered the odds that he was an axe murderer, so he got the number.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Rebellious, pot-smoking, leather jacket-wearing headbanger. It was the '80's, after all.

Marginal grades in everything except English, where I was the teacher's pet.

Oddly enough, I had some friends who were pretty straight, usually the academic type.

The classic underachiever, I suppose.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    the coolest kids were the smart ones (class president, captain of the football team, head cheerleader, etc.) so the nerds had it easy, good representation.
    Ditto for my high school. The nerds were representin'. Yo.

Or at least I thought they were cool. Probably because I was a too.

I was a floater like a lot of you too. I.e. no one "group". Example: One of my closest friends was the valedictorian. Another one failed every class, knocked up his girlfriend, and repeated school the next year, MARRIED at 18. (Oh, and to drag up a memory from the odd baby names thread of yesteryear, he married a girl named Pistachio. )

Nutshell:
    A+ nerd student, perfect attendance, top of class (go ahead and gag now)
    5 foot 8, almost 5, 9, so they kept trying to recruit me for basketball. I never joined though.
    Got lots of little cheap plastic medals and certificates of achievement for various things that I was geeky enough to be thrilled by back then
    Yearbook editor
    Heavy duty dance attender/football game goer/social party goer
    Was in a lot of clubs and started some of them
    Heavy duty recruiter, i.e. I used to talk people into joining various things
    Did parades, went to parties, announced things via the PA system that no one listened to
    Wrote for the paper
    Art Honor Society, heavily involved in art stuff/studio work/etc.
    Band for awhile (clarinet people, yo)
    No drugs or alcohol etc., although I was at parties where others were heavily drinking
    Wasn't in a clique, I hung out with whomever, as long as they were nice people who weren't nasty to others

Oh yeah, and I had one mediocre boyfriend, many unrequited crushes, and several "will you go with me" requests that I didn't have confidence enough to take seriously.

(Anybody else remember when people used to ask, "will you go with me?") Go? Go where?

And thanks for digging this thread back up, Stargazer. And like Spegs said, I feel like I know all of you much better. FORTers!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    AmandaG's proposed mascot looks like our entire high school. That's what we had to wear... every freaking day. 6th grade through 12th grade. Button down shirts with collars, tucked into our dress slacks, and a tie. So, I did what anyone would do. I got a job with no dress code, so now I can look like a slob every day and not worry about it.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    and several "will you go with me" requests that I didn't have confidence enough to take seriously.

(Anybody else remember when people used to ask, "will you go with me?") Go? Go where?
    I remember that! I didn't know anyone said that anywhere else than the bizarro land where I went to High School since I don't think I've heard it since.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Can you imagine the football teams at other schools having to admit they'd been beaten by the "Engineers"? I can just see the headlines now... "Engineers Thrash Cougars".... "Engineers Stomp Bulldogs"..... "Panthers Upset Engineers"...
    Lucy!

Amanda! I knew you was a smartie, but had no idea you were that much of a smartie!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    In all seriousness, I think it would've been fun to know what we know now and all known each other then.

What I'm really saying was I wish I hadn't been so shy in high school. I could've had much more fun and maybe I'd have allowed myself to find a bunch of people like you guys.

Hmm...drifting dangerously close to being dramatically philosophical. Better sign off before I embarrass myself.
    And Paulie, this was sweet! I agree! Although I wasn't too, too, shy, I did mess up a lot of opportunities (especially with cute guys) due to good 'ol adolescent insecurities! FORT high would have rocked. (especially if it were this much fun. )

ETA: Finallyhere, I'm glad someone can relate! It was a regular occurance in my high school.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread