+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help building website

Need help building website

As many of you know I am the director of a crisis center. We need to redo our website but have no one who is very good at it, nor do we have money to pay someone. I have VERY basic knowledge of HTML and am trying to learn how to use Dreamweaver (which I own). I think I can create a basic site with some text and images, but there are a few things we need that I don't know how to do, such as:
    -a password protected member area with calendar and message board
    (I was thinking of a free ezboard, but is a better way?)
    -a event calendar available to the public
    -an online application which people could fill out and email to us directly from the site

If any of you web designers out there have suggestions I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks,
    MollyRose

There's a very good HTML help site that describes how to build online applications. I believe that using tables can create a basic calendar, and a little tweaking can make it fancy. There are also membership by approval boards at EZBoard. Gold boards (no ads) require payment, and the EZOp gets free EZSupporter. I think that there's another type of board that is like EZBoard, but I'll have to look into it.

You could also use a free BB software like phpBB or InvisionBoard.

Where do I get those?

I use YaBB on my site - that was kind of ahrd to install but once i got it, its virutally maintenece free. Yabb.com

I teach graphics and web design here. I'd love to have my students do a live web site as a class project, if you are looking for volunteer work - it would be a great opportunity for my kids to work with a real client, and you could get the work done for free. The catch is that I would want them to have rights to use screenshots in their own portfolios.

phpBB is available at www.phpbb.com . It's a free download and there's tons of support on their forum. Even 13 year old webmasters get help! You can set various levels of membership acceptance, up to approving each member individually. You can also set each section's security, up to hiding them from unregistered people.
    There are a couple of examples at curvesforum.com and clubxm.com .

I know MS FrontPage has an option to password protect a page, I'm not familiar with Dreamweaver.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Invision Board, which is generally said to be the "best" of the free forum software out there (but each board's style suits different people), is at:

www.invisionboard.com

I suggest checking out a few examples of each board in action, and get a feel for which you think your users would be most comfortable with.

Hey everyone, thanks for all your replies. Blindart, that's a very generous offer! I'm PMing you now!

+ Reply to Thread