+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actress Winona Ryder found guilty of shoplifting

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

Actress Winona Ryder found guilty of shoplifting

From Reuters
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.(Reuters) - A glum Winona Ryder was convicted Wednesday of shoplifting from Saks Fifth Avenue's posh Beverly Hills store after a sensational trial in which prosecutors repeatedly reminded jurors that the rich and famous were not above the law.

A jury of six men and six women convicted the 31-year-old Oscar-nominated actress of slipping out of Saks last December with some $5,500 of designer tops, handbags, hair bows and socks stuffed in her shopping bags and hidden on her person.

The jury panel, which included former Sony Pictures studio head Peter Guber and at least two others with Hollywood connections, found her guilty of grand theft and vandalism but not guilty of commercial burglary.

That charge would have required proof that she had deliberately gone to the store with intent to steal, legal experts said.

Ryder, who starred in "Girl, Interrupted" and was nominated twice for Oscars, sat wide-eyed and expressionless in the packed courtroom as the verdicts were read, but moments later appeared close to tears. She left the courthouse without speaking to reporters.

She faces a possible prison term of up to three years when she is sentenced on Dec. 6, although most legal experts do not expect her to spend time behind bars.

Legal experts were surprised at the severity of the charges brought against her, saying that shoplifting cases seldom go to trial. Some suggested that she was singled out for her celebrity.

The verdict was carried live on nationwide television, crowding out coverage of a decision by the U.S. Federal Reserve to cut interest rates to a fresh four-decade low in an attempt to revive the sluggish economy.

Prosecutors said at trial that Ryder walked into the tony Saks store last December with a pair of scissors and cut sensor tags off handbags worth hundreds of dollars in what amounted to a "simple case of theft."

Ryder's attorney, Mark Geragos, suggested during his closing statement that she was the victim of a frame-up by store employees. Ryder did not testify.

The jurors did not look at Ryder when they came into the courtroom to report their verdict. The waif-like actress turned her head to look at her relatives and friends and gave a slight shake of the head as if she knew what was coming.

The courtroom was so packed with reporters and spectators that many were left standing.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I'm not surprised they found her guilty.

I strongly doubt she'll do time for it though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Likewise, Fluff. Seemed like an open-and-shut case, but she'll get off with community service or something like that. Can't imagine her in the joint for three years. That'd be a first.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I thought there might be someone on the jury that would be starstruck and cause a mistrial.

She's an odd one, that's for sure.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

as i'm stuck in bed watching talk shows, today on "the caroline rhea show" caroline said, "winona ryder didn't take the stand today in her trial... but only because it was nailed down."

stupid girl.

that's pretty funny!

That's hilarious
    "That's Numberwang!"

JR.
    Bravo, apparently there was a producer or director on th jury that worked with her before. I don't know how they let that slide.

Originally posted by JR.
    Bravo, apparently there was a producer or director on th jury that worked with her before. I don't know how they let that slide.
    All the better for the undoubtedly soon to be produced TV Movie....The Winona Ryder Trial
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Bill!

Yeah JR, I heard about that somewhere....that surprises me that the person would have have been excused from jury duty!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast