+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What social groups do you belong to?

What social groups do you belong to?

I just received my membership today into the Sons of the American Legion (mainly because my whole family belongs, and I want the cheap booze and a pool table), and it got me thinking...

What groups do y'all belong to in that vein. AL, Toastmasters, Rotarians, Moose, Elk, Badgers, whatever...

my local Mother's Club. A far cry from the Elks!

I won an American Legion essay contest in the 4th grade...they looked like a bunch of old fogies to me (granted I was 9). Probably varies by region?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I used to be in Toastmasters.... gave it up because.... well, when am I gonna be giving speeches anyway?
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    I used to be in Toastmasters.... gave it up because.... well, when am I gonna be giving speeches anyway?

aakkkk! you just keep setting yourself up, don't you?

I belong to the FORT!

FORT Fogey
    I have no idea if this counts but anyway I am in NCL (National Charity League) Its some nonprofit organization that does community service. Girls start doing it in 7th grade and continue until 12th grade. You do it with your mommy and its really fun. We help places like Emergency Housing Consortiums, a place where poor people can get free food and clothes, Special Olympics, American Cancer Society, American Red Cross, Lucille Packard Children’s Hospital, YMCA, and an old folks home. It really depends on your location though. We meet like every month and we have 2 social events (go to Amusement parks etc.) and a cultural event ever year (opera, museums, and a rock concert senior year )

Anyway I think that its all over the nation (hence the National in NCL) Since I have no idea what American Legiion and Toastmasters are I have no idea if my post really belogns here but oh well!

pinkieparrot, you are adorable! Your group sounds like a fantastic organization.

Pinkie, not only do you love the Simpsons, but you're a humanitarian as well. Well, gosh darn, ain't that the cutest!

I belong to many, many art, writing, and theater organizations, local and national. Lots of great friends and priceless information from them (and lots of mail ). Some of them are "pro" as well as social, i.e. it's all about the business aspect of this area, and some of them are only social, i.e. "we work from home so we need to get out and see other like people!" and others are technical and social, i.e. novices and pros are mixed together and learn from each other, and still others are community-based and social, i.e. getting together to support the arts in the community and/or teach people how to make a living doing this type of thing etc. All have them have been really, really, fun. I love them! I would not be where I am today without all the great people I've met and the great education that I've gotten through these groups.

The only downside is that at this time of year I have a lot of membership dues come up for renewal.

I was a member of several choirs (does that count?) and also a member of Toastmasters for awhile (but I didn't have time for it!). I still aim to join Toastmasters again someday in the future.
    Last edited by Shazzer; 09-04-2003 at 02:43 AM.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I belong to Eastern Star and Mr. gracie is in the Eagles and VFW. His father is always trying to get him to join other military related organizations like the Purple Heart Club and AMVETS. If it counts we also belong to a bowling league. It's the one thing we do together and it kept me sane when my kids were little. That one night a week away from them did wonders. My aunt tried to get me to join the Angels Club, but I'm not that much into collecting them.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Well at this moment I'm in the PTA but I don't think that counts.

I'm in nothing, between work, the kids and the pets my idea of a good social evening is locking myself in the bathroom with a book.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

The Thursday Night Margarita taste-a-thon at any Chilis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast