+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What social groups do you belong to?

Quote Originally Posted by aliasmq
    The Thursday Night Margarita taste-a-thon at any Chilis
    Now THERE'S a group I can get behind 100%.

But there's a reason I joined the S.A.L., besides the fact that all the males in my family are members...

I go to the bar usually once a week with a friend. If I have 3 beers at $2.75 apiece, plus a tip, that's a $12 trip. If I go to the AL post and have those 3 beers, plus a tip, that's a $7 trip. And for a membership cost of $15/year, it's definitely worth it. Plus, they have a pool table and my regular bar doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Now THERE'S a group I can get behind 100%.

But there's a reason I joined the S.A.L., besides the fact that all the males in my family are members...

I go to the bar usually once a week with a friend. If I have 3 beers at $2.75 apiece, plus a tip, that's a $12 trip. If I go to the AL post and have those 3 beers, plus a tip, that's a $7 trip. And for a membership cost of $15/year, it's definitely worth it. Plus, they have a pool table and my regular bar doesn't.
    John, I'll fax you a check and you can Ups the beers.

~*Perfect Princess*~ Blazingorchidlv's Avatar
    I was Vice President of Interact Club in HS. Which is a rotary club. We did gift a thons...and wrapped presents for underprivileged kids. And delivered the gifts to em and everything. And my moms bank goes to Shade Tree (a womans and childrens home where they can sleep and get food and clothes) And we do activities with the kids. We went for mothers day and the kids made mothers day cards with their pictures for their moms. And we went a couple months ago we went and the kids made bracelets and stuff with their names...and moms names and everything. its amazing to see their smiles when theyre doing it
    I swear the alcohol is coming out my nose

Ociffer...i swear to drunk i am not God...

I just joined the Sierra Club, because I love to hike!

Chris

I was once a member of a dart league, although it was nothing more than a thinly-veiled excuse to get plastered on a weeknight. Our team came in last, mainly because of aforementioned excuse. I once threw a dart and it landed in the board next to the one I was aiming at. Good times.

I like darts and pool. Never been on a league for either of those.

I have been on a bowling league, but only as a kid, and it was more of an excuse to ditch and go play video games with the money each week than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    I just joined the Sierra Club, because I love to hike!

Chris
    I believe that club has a lot of history behind it. It escapes me who the "big guy" was who founded it, but I believe Ansel Adams was one of its members. I was wondering if they gave you any interesting history on it.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    I believe that club has a lot of history behind it. It escapes me who the "big guy" was who founded it, but I believe Ansel Adams was one of its members. I was wondering if they gave you any interesting history on it.
    Here's the guy you're thinking of:

Who was John Muir?
    John Muir (1838-1914) was America's most famous and influential naturalist and conservationist. He has been called "The Father of our National Parks," "Wilderness Prophet," and "Citizen of the Universe." f our National Parks," "Wilderness Prophet," and "Citizen of the Universe." He once described himself more humorously, and perhaps most accurately, as, a "poetico-trampo-geologist-botanist and ornithologist-naturalist etc. etc. !!!!"

As a wilderness explorer, he is renowned for his exciting adventures in California's Sierra Nevada, among Alaska's glaciers, and world wide travels in search of nature's beauty. As a writer, he taught the people of his time and ours the importance of experiencing and protecting our natural heritage. His writings contributed greatly to the creation of Yosemite, Sequoia, Mount Rainier, Petrified Forest, and Grand Canyon National Parks.

His words and deeds helped inspire President Theodore Roosevelt's innovative conservation programs, including establishing the first National Monuments by Presidential Proclamation, and Yosemite National Park by congressional action. In 1892, John Muir and other supporters formed the Sierra Club "to make the mountains glad." John Muir was the Club's first president, an office he held until his death in 1914. His last battle to save the second Yosemite, Hetch Hetchy Valley, failed. But that lost battle ultimately resulted in a widespread conviction that our national parks should be held inviolate. Many proposals to dam our national parks since that time have been stopped because of the efforts of citizens inspired by John Muir, and today there are legitimate proposals to restore Hetch Hetchy. John Muir remains today an inspiration for environmental activists everywhere.

Chris

Let's see, the biggest social organization I belong to is the Friday night crowd at The Brick. . That's where we know most of our friends from!

When I'm not there, I'm a member of:
    The Sound Waves, a Women's barbershop chorus
    Steering committee for a local homeless shelter
    Oregon State University Alumni Association
    American Dairy Goat Association - not quite as social as some other things.
    about 20 different forums!
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

A barbershop chorus and a goat milk group? You AREN'T the average geek.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast