+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's the longest you've gone without TV?

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Um... I can't think ? But I usually only watches it for MTV and stuff. When's there's nothing good to see, I will not watch. I have been watching TV quite a lot, but not a freak though.

Probably about 8 days while I was camping. During this trip I also went 4 or 5 days without being inside a permanent structure. This was about 8 years ago, before I was married and I could go run off and spend a week in the woods with nothing to worry about but keeping the beer cold.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

I went without TV for a month in London. Who wouldn't? Never did I think to myself, "I could go see Buckingham Palace, or I could stay in and watch AbFab."
    In regular life though, I have the TV on all the time when I'm home. I live alone, so it's like company.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I went two weeks without TV once. *crickets* No, really.... I did.

It was broken at the time. Luckily, I still had my computer and internet access.

A hotel room with no cable TV is my idea of roughing it. Good thing I wasn't born 300 years ago or I'd starve or die of boredom (like that time when the power went out for 3 days once. I didn't think I was ever going to make it).
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Wait, London wasn't the longest time I've gone. When I was 12 my family spent six weeks traveling out west, in a pop-up camper. So we didn't have TV then.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Newbie

TV or me

I was watching Family Guy with a friend last night and we got to talking about how much we depend on TV as a way to fill the voids. How it tends to suck up the hours. My friend said that she couldn't get on without TV more than a couple of days. I thought this was sad. She asked me, and I said TV is part of my life, but a small part. We agreed on a bet. If I can go 2 months without watching any TV at all, I win a fountain pen that I saw on line and wanted for my collection (about $300), if I lose, I will pay her the money that she would spend on the pen. Some might wonder why I would want a fountain pen or why they cost so much. Some folks are fussy about the pens they use--I am one of those folks.

The bet will be based on the honor system. I am allowed to use the computer, but only for things like this or e mail. I generally only watch about 2-3 hours of TV a week, so I think I can make it.

The question is, what would it cost you to give up your favorite shows and TV for two months?

I went without TV for much of the summer of 1997. I was staying in a sublet during summer break and there was no TV in the house. I was working the whole time, I had a boyfriend, and I had the radio, so I was able to survive.

I actually went without watching tv quite a bit in college. I just didn't watch it. I was too busy partying during primetime, I guess. The only tv I watched was Beavis and Butthead. I don't know what that says about me.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I haven't watched TV since Tuesday. I was busy packing and moving. Our cable won't be installed until Wednesday so it'll be a week. At least I'm not really missing anything!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I went without for about five years, just to force myself to read more and spend time with friends. What's pathetic though, is that I didn't read any newspapers and was oblivious to what was going on in the world. I didn't know about the Gulf War until Dolly Parton posed on the cover of Vanity Fair with a cruise missile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast