+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's the longest you've gone without TV?

Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    You should have hired an expert!

Chris
    Whats there to plugging it in? its the movers that were difficult.... oh yeah and everything else.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Back before MTV started I went almost 8 months without TV in college.

Since then, almost yearly the kids have had a TV free week at school, so we turn the TV off for that.

When we are up in the UP at my bro in law's camp there is no TV so anytime there we have been without (but that is no big deal at all there is so much to do)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I lived overseas for a couple of years as a kid and my parents never got around to buying a TV over there. I didn't go for the whole two years without watching television though. My friend had one and I would go over there on occasion to watch Noddy. I don't think I've gone more than a couple of months without watching at least a little TV.

Hmmm as I was reading, I found myself wondering how much 'other' stuff I would get done if I didn't have a tv dependancy??
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    We don't have Tivo north of the border.
    So that's why I don't know what they are. I always hear people talking about Tivo's and I'm thinking 'Am I that out of it?? When did it stop being TV and become Tivo???'
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Quote Originally Posted by brenna
    So that's why I don't know what they are. I always hear people talking about Tivo's and I'm thinking 'Am I that out of it?? When did it stop being TV and become Tivo???'
    Just in case you don't know, Tivo is a company that created software that makes it real easy to record (Tivo) your favorite shows, even if they change time slots. You can also search for favorite actors, genre's, etc. They put this software in an electronic component that has either 1 or 2 (DirecTivo) tuners. You don't record to a tape, but you record to a hard drive. You can output what's on the hard drive to a VCR tape for archiving purposes.

Depending on quality of signal, you can Tivo (record) anywhere from 20 hours to, now with the newest models coming out at approx 300+ hours. Yikes that's a lot of time. You can use a Tivo with either Directv or your local cable station. I believe Dish supplies their own software and hardware.

The best Tivo recorder out there are the DirecTivo's. It can only be used with Directv, but with it you get 2 tuners, meaning you can record 2 different shows on 2 different channels at the same, while watching a 3rd program that you had previously Tivo'd. Also the quality is digitally perfect. Whereas all of the other Tivo's bring the signal in digitally, the output is analog, so there is a loss of quality. The Directivo's are all digital, so you are getting the best picture possible.

I have had my first DirecTivo for almost 3 years now and last November I bought 2 more models, so I have a total of 6 tuners that can be recording at the same time. And the nice thing is, each extra DirecTivo is only charged $5 a month by Directv. Also there is no charge for the 2nd tuner on each DirecTivo.

This will be the first fall season where I will be able to record all the shows that I want to see. Because I only had 1 DirecTivo the previous seasons, I missed out on 2 shows that I really wanted to see, 24 & Alias. I did Tivo the 2nd season marathon of 24 this past weekend and watched it this week, so I have a good idea of how the show is. This year I can use the other DirecTivo's to record 24 & Alias. Now if I only had the time to watch all of this stuff.

Anymore questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    Just in case you don't know, Tivo is a company that created software that makes it real easy to record (Tivo) your favorite shows, even if they change time slots. You can also search for favorite actors, genre's, etc.
    Some of the Canadian cable systems offer a digital TV box which has similar features to Tivo.

The longest I've gone without TV was about a year in my final year of university; it was self imposed because I almost failed my 3rd year. My grades improved tremendeously, and I was finishing assignments well ahead of time instead of scrambling at the last minutes.

I was out-of-touch with trendy shows or fashions, so friendly conversations with me was probably less current and more philosophical. I did have a nagging feeling that I was out of touch with the rest of the world, but I felt more in touch with myself since I had more time to ponder and meditate. Since then I no longer sheepishly follow trends or popular opinions blindly.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

I think the longest I went without TV was about 3 semesters in college.... what broke it was desert storm.... since i had a friend in the navy then....
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Well, we just had the blackout a few weeks ago - that was pretty painful.
    I can decide to go without tv all day, but if someone takes the decision out of my hands it's really annoying
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey
    Um, let's see, I didn't watch TV for the entire Saturday when I moved into college. Today is really the first time I've actually sat down and watched it since Monday, with the exception of a movie a couple of days ago. Now with football season, I hardly doubt that I'll be able to go too long without TV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast