+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's the longest you've gone without TV?

The longest was 4 years, and I did not even miss TV, only sometimes it would have been nice to rent movies and watch them at home. And even now, if I could make my significant other agree, I would gladly give up the TV. I would miss my reality TV, but hey, FORT offers better recaps than the shows are

When I was in junior high our TV broke and my dad was on one of his kicks and said we weren't going to replace it. He replaced it right after I left for college. Five years without a TV...I can't say I missed it, per se, but I was teased a lot by my friends, especially when they would discuss various shows. Of course, my mom was on one of HER kicks at that time as well and we were only allowed to listen to Christian or classical music during that time as well.

Maybe this is why I need therapy???

Really good idea for a thread.

I've tried to wean myself from TV plenty of times, and I've been successful cutting out things like reruns etc., but I still manage to watch it at least a little bit every day. I think the longest I've gone without it has been a week (cabin/fishing/out in nature). That is..until the resort I went to got TV! I guess I watch a little bit every day.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fogey
    Not very long...... :rolleyes

-Rach

I actually didn't have a TV for about a year when I first moved away from home to go to college. I only occasionally would see TV if I was visiting someone else or caught it at the lounge. I was so busy with so many new experiences, and meeting people and getting the grasp of a new city, that I didn't miss it at all!

Don't get me wrong, though, when I finally got a TV again I was like "WOW I've missed so much" and I'm one of those people for whom it is like an electronic hearth, something I leave on all day for it's comforting glow. I don't think I'd be as quick to forego my TV nowadays! Especially now that I'm a FoRTer.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

We have at least one, and most of the time 2, TV's on all day long. But I've gone without it for a week here and there, usually when I'm sailing and there isn't the possibility of TV. Music is an acceptable substitute.

I *like* TV, but I think I could survive without it pretty easily.

I recently went 3 months without a TV.... I had moved, and the first two weeks the tv hadn't arrived... after that, it was just my own laziness of not wanting to plug the darned thing in.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I went about 2 years at one point without a tv back in my early 20's. I'd do the occasional movie rental, but even that was very rare. At that point in my life I was extremely into going out and partying it up with friends and between that and a 50 or so hour work week I didn't even miss it. I can't imagine going without it now...even when I'm on vacation I end up using it at the hotel at night to fall asleep to, sort of gotten myself trained to having the background noise.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    About a week or two because i was grounded. I was dying on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    I recently went 3 months without a TV.... I had moved, and the first two weeks the tv hadn't arrived... after that, it was just my own laziness of not wanting to plug the darned thing in.
    You should have hired an expert!

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast