+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kinda freakin' out a little bit

Kinda freakin' out a little bit

OK, so I just got off the phone with my eye doctor. I've scheduled an appointment in early January for LASIK surgery, and I'm, as the subject line suggests, kinda freaked out. I've worn glasses since I was 9 years old (that's 23 years, for those of you scoring at home). I tried contacts briefly in college, but I suffer from ocular allergies that turned my eyes red all the time with the contacts in there because they accumulate dust and stuff.

I've been interested in LASIK for a while, but I'm, in general, pretty nervous about surgeries in general. I gained some confidence in maybe going after the LASIK after enduring a minor surgical pro-SEE-jer earlier this year. Scheduled the consultation, and the eye folks said I'm an ideal candidate for LASIK, which I think means I have enough money to pay for it.

It's not that I don't trust my doctor. Heck, the man saved my eye a couple of years ago when I developed a fluke bacterial infection that was feasting on my cornea. But I no longer have the illusion that the people I interact with in a professional capacity are infallible. Mistakes can happen, and I would feel horrible if my eyes plagued me for the rest of my life or (worse) if something catastrophic happened and I couldn't see my family anymore. I also don't know what might happen to me waaaay down the road because nobody really knows that since LASIK is relatively new. I don't want to make a decision I'll regret, even if I don't get burnt till I'm quite a bit older.

On the other hand, the notion of perfect vision is like a holy grail to me. I can get these dirty, scratched glasses away from my face. My wife says my eyes are really striking (light, light blue), and I think it would be great to get them out from their prison. I also would like to not get my glasses bumped off my face all the time. They seem to always get hit or fall off when something unexpected happens. I just want to be rid of them and be able to see normally.

I don't really have any questions. I just wanted to share why I'm suddenly a much more nervous and excited man than I was before I placed that call. I know the surgery's not for a couple of months, but wish me well. Thanks for listening.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I have a few friends at work who've had it done. I don't know their histories as to where they were coming from in regards to years wearing specs but all of em told me they had no problems with the surgery, it was easily accomplished and painless.

Hope that helps to ease your mind in a small way.
    A rose soft, pliant and fragile when touched will quiver excitedly

Paulie, best of luck to you! My biggest bit of advice is not to worry too much about it. Hard to do, I know.

I am a passionate believer in not living your life based on the "it's possibles, maybes, risks, etc" You obviously really want this surgery, and it's okay to be scared.

I'm sure everything will turn out for the best, Paulie! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

It does help, Perc. Thanks very much.

'Course, I'm a computer programmer, which means I'm trained to think about the worst case and prepare for it so I'll never be entirely free of my concern till I'm on the other side.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

And thank you, too, #1 Fan.

Good luck Paulie. I'm sure it will be fine.

I've had eye problems in the past.. I wear contacts but had to go back to glasses for about 4 months earlier this year. Had cornea ulcers. Ick.

Let me know how it goes. So far everyone I know has raved about it. I'd like to get it 5 years down the road.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    You are in our thoughts Paulie!

I know a lot of people who have done this, and they all have just loved the results! But I know that anything "elective" makes you feel like you are always second-guessing yourself.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Will do, Miss F. Thanks for your support!

Corneal ulcer. Yuck! That's what I had two years ago. Caught it just in time. Whew!

FORT Fanatic

Hey there, sweetie....

I know at least 10 people who have had LASIK done and ALL are happy with it. A few were fearful, most are conservative and waited until the studies came out before trying it....Everyone is Vastly thrilled witht he end result.

Good luck..you'll be fine and just think...in a few short weeks...Goodbye eye glass prints ont he nose...hellooooo BABY BLUES!!!!
    Loving YOU loving ME........

Ladies remember:
    The Treasure doesn't do the hunting....

makes you feel like you are always second-guessing yourself
    Exactly, Bravo!

These responses are so nice. I'm going to have to print this off when it peters out and dies. And I'll be sure to post an "AAAAHHHHH!!!!" thread the day before surgery (I go under the knife at 8AM on Jan. 9) to remind everyone what's happening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast