+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kinda freakin' out a little bit

Right, John. My eye doctor says I should be playing again shortly after. The surgery's on Thursday, so I should be on the court again for the next week's games.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

PKeeper
    Paulie, I can speak from experience on this. I had the procedure done June, 2000. I had worn glasses since I was 4. Went to contacts when I was 22. My correction was relatively high at -10.5 in one eye and -9.5 in the other. I also had Asitmatisom in both eyes. When you were told you were a prime candidate they probably meant your correction was in range and your cornea is thick enough to be shaved.

I was a bit anxious, but had a few close friends that also went through it. It was definitely worth it.

To describe the step-by-step process is enough to freak anybody out, so I will spare everone on that. But, Paulie, once you have had it, you will get pleasure out of giving this play-by-play to you friends.

Immediately after the procedure I noticed my vision improvement. It was difficult to assess at first since everytime I opened my eyes they ran tears like a river. When I returned home I took a nice nap. When I woke up I could see clearly. The slight irritattion lasted less than a day, and I felt I could have easily gone to work the next day.

After 34 years of wearing corrective lenses, it felt like being freed from a prison cell. Not that I would know anything about that.

Paulie, if you want more specifics send me a PM and I'll happily obilge.

You will not regret this decision my friend.

See Paulie, everything's going to be A-ok sweetie.

Best wishes from the FORT. We'll be thinking about you. And we can't wait to see the baby blues pics.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Paulie
    The surgery's on Thursday, so I should be on the court again for the next week's games.
    Good thing you have your priorities there buddy!

Seriously you'll be good as ever!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Thanks, PKeeper! So nice to hear from someone who's been through it. I know all the gory details that await me. But your story of recovery makes me happy. Truth to tell, I am really excited about this.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

As someone who has personally burned my cornea with a curling iron, (oh god ), twice, (don't ask ), and recovered fully to 20-15 vision, I can tell you that healing up shouldn't be a problem. I don't see how a good doctor could do much more damage than I have done.

I can imagine how excited you must be. I never take my excellent vision for granted, but I'm sure you will treasure yours. Think of all those little day to day things that you will never have to worry about. Good luck buddy.
    Im haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

JR.
    Ouch Zhora, it hurts just reading that. Ahhhh........

Holy guacamole, Zhora! A curling iron?!? You poor thing!

And thanks for the encouragement, Z. I think about those little things every day since I made the decision to go through with it. I'm ticking off the days in my head now that I have a day picked out. I want to grind my glasses underfoot when it's all done.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Oh, come on Paulie...you should keep the glasses around just for fun

Glasses are sexy! Don't you remember my comments in the TAR thread about Derek and Drew
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Paulie,

Good luck. I have wanted to have it done but it seems everytime I have a baby my eyes change (LOL) and they have to be stable for a specifc amount of time before they will do it.

I know many people who have had it done and all of them are happy with the outcome.
    RandysMom
    Don't Dream It....BE IT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast