+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ghost no more

ghost no more

I've decided that I'm sick of looking ghostly despite living in sunny Florida and am considering going to a tanning salon to help out what I don't have the patience to let nature do for me. Only thing is that I've never done this before, is there any etiquette that I need to be aware of before going in to do this? I'm sure they'd fill me in at the place, but I'd like to have a heads up before going in. Also, when I go out in natural light to get sun I tend to burn very easily and then just peel and freckle afterwards (cursed with the very pale tradidionally red haired coloring)...do I need to worry about this when getting tanned? Thanks for any help y'all might have!!

Well Libra(i'm A Libra too)I work in a hair salon and we have a stand up bed and a lie down bed.There is no particular etiqutte for tanning other than turn up on time for your appointment.We are responsible for cleaning the beds ,rather than relying on the clients to do so.In your photo you look quite fair so I would recommend starting at 5min. in a lie down bed or 2-3min. in a stand up.Buy a package instead of paying a drop-in fee.It's usually cheaper that way.You could also ask about buying an accelerator.I don't tan personally biut alot of people buy them.It's funny that someone from Canada is giving someone from Florida tanning advice
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

Libra, I hope you've considered self-tanning sprays as an alternative to the tanning booths. My skin is a lot like yours - extremely fair, burns in minutes - and tanning booths have always done a real number on me, even if I only go for 5 minutes like Jules (rightly) suggests. The spray-on tanning stuff has gotten much better in recent years (i.e. you won't look like a pumpkin like people used to years ago when the sprays all sucked), and a lot of the more froo-froo salons even have booths where they spray you down, ensuring a more even application. Definitely think about this, because you could be saving yourself from a terrible burn.

Thanks Amanda, I looked around a lot earlier this morning as well and according to some skin type tests that I took online they said the same thing about the booths, that they probably weren't a good idea. I did actually take a step in the tan thing as well as trying to get some exercise and went out swimming for about an hour. My face and arms now look nice and healthy (just barely pink) but my legs, which is the main thing I wanted to get worked on are still ghostly white. I may have to find a day when I don't have anyplace to be and give the self tanners a shot just for them, either that or call the guy that does my hair and see if he can reccomend a place to apply the stuff like you suggested (since they don't do it at his small salon). Thanks for the advice gals!

+ Reply to Thread