+ Reply to Thread
Page 448 of 453 FirstFirst ... 348398438439440441442443444445446447448449450451452453 LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,480 of 4529
Like Tree2929Likes

Thread: What simple things make you happy?

Re: What simple things make you happy?

In November, I got deathly ill. I had to go on short term disability and there was some question if I would even get that. There was question if I would even live to the new year.

Many of my friends here and other places stepped up and helped me out so that in the time of uncertainty, I wouldn't have to worry about where I lay my head.

Fast forward to March.

I have been cleared to try to return to work. While I am scared and still not 100% I want to try.

When I get better off, I plan to do more but I have a burden for the homeless.

I am not quite sure what all I can do but I try.

When I get gas for my vehicle, I buy a sandwich and give it to the guy that is always sleeping in front of the QT.

I cleaned out my closet and got rid of a lot of clothes. In my profession, I have to dress professionally so most of them were "teacherish" but I had also collected quite a few pair of sweat pants and shirts. I also had several pairs of shoes and tennis shoes and fake ugg type boots . I realized that I had way too much when others had nothing.

There is a park across the street from where I live and the homeless hang out there a lot.

Last night we took all of those clothes and shoes and a couple of blankets (two people do not need 10 blankets) We laid them across the benches under the gazebo in the middle of the park. My spouse said we had to be careful because some people don't like it when the homeless are helped. That made me cry.

This morning when walking my dog, I noticed that all the shoes were gone as well as the blankets and almost half the clothes. Hopefully someone can find a use of all of them.

I feel much better about doing that than taking them to a goodwill where someone will charge people for things they got for free. I know goodwill does great things, but people that are homeless do not have money to shop at goodwill.
    I know it isn't much, but at the moment, it was all that I could do and when I noticed that most of the things were gone, it warmed my heart that someone needed it.

If I ever win the lottery or come into any kind of fortune, I will do something to at least help the homeless in my city.

It is a shame we have such pukes in office that do not care about the problems that we face every day.
    Punkin, Brooks, beerbelly and 1 others like this.

I really don't like how our local goodwill doesn't support our local poor and homeless population and exploit our disabled population for cheap sub-minimum wage labor. I give to the local homeless shelters a lot (one for kids and one for adults here). And we have things at work for toiletries and sometimes I'll buy some nice stuff and throw in there. Like not your basic soaps but things to make people feel good like smelly bubble bath and colognes and perfumes.

At work we always have emails going around looking for donations for clients too. We all keep some extra furniture to give away to families in need. Or clothes. People think the "government" buys that stuff. We buy that stuff. Car seats appear. Boots and hats. We build back packs for kids in school every year by donation. I've given away a couple vacuums like that and dishes. One of our homeless fellows got himself a job but didn't have anything to wear so we went out and bought him a bunch of clothes to wear to work.

Every year we figure out on case loads who needs holiday gifts and we'll go out and buy them gifts and wrap them up. Lots of foster kids. Very low income families. Adults who have no one. I used to go to the holiday concert at one of the assisted livings facilities because there was a really young person there who participated but had no one to watch her. She'd get so excited.

We have little bags for our foster kids too when they're pulled out of homes so they at least have a tiny collection of stuff that is theirs to own forever.

Little things mean so much to people and can change their day or sometimes even their lives.
    Punkin, Brooks, Gutmutter and 2 others like this.

I joined to volunteer for a non-profit recently and it's really making me happy. The group I was assigned really liked my idea of hosting monthly birthdays for kids in the homeless shelters! Also, I walked home with a lady who is a stuntwoman and lives a half a block away from me!!!

I was sort of feeling down today but am really happy now.
    Punkin, Brooks, Gutmutter and 3 others like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Getting a rental property we have sold finished and finalizing the sale. Been 3 long months working on it. I hope I don't have to see another piece of trim to have to paint for a long time.
    Punkin and causingchaos like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

The Robert Stack episodes of unsolved mysteries.

A strong cup of coffee.
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”

― Maya Angelou

Looking down and being happy with how my nails look today.

A text from my college-aged daughter asking me to come hang with her tomorrow. She misses her mommy.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Fort Member
    where its beautiful one day perfect the next

A few years ago my son and I were watching a Tattoo Nightmare show where the person had a cute cartoon bear tattoo they wanted covered up It was not a bad tattoo we thought until they showed the picture they had taken to the tattoo artist as a reference It was a full on grisly bear in attack mode My son and I laughed so much we cried it was a silly thing but we just laughed for days every time we looked at each other we saw the bear tattoo we just couldn't stop laughing My son has gone through some tough times lately and it has been a long time since I have seen him laugh but every time things get low I remember that bear tattoo and how much he laughed and I just have to remind him of it and he smiles
    See reality TV can make the world a better place sometimes lol
    Arielflies and Miss Scarlet like this.
    Happiness is an unexpected piece of chocolate!

Coworkers helping out when I was gone.
    dagwood likes this.
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”

― Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread