+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 332 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393143 ... LastLast
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: What simple things make you happy?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    a nice uninteruppted weekend afternoon nap.

HEAVEN!!!!!!

Yes of which I have been woken up from twice.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

An instant message appearing on my screen from my sweetie because I'm on dial-up and the line's been busy 'cause I'm on the FORT!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey

A REALLY Simple Thing That Makes Me REALLY Happy

I've lived in my current apartment for more than four years, but up until last September I wasn't allowed to use any part of the yard because the jerks who lived in the apartment below me took over all the common areas of this property, including the yard, and they wouldn't let any other tenants use any of it.

They were evicted in September and ever since then I've been parking my little Jeep in the backyard, I've been feeding all the wild animals out there, and I will be growing a vegetable garden this summer for the first time in about 15 years.

What makes me so very happy is that the birds and squirrels have grown accustomed to my daily routine. On weekdays I'm up wicked early, even before they are, so I go out back by where I park and throw down food before they're even awake. Most days our paths never cross but on weekend days like today, I "sleep in" until about 6:00 a.m. so by the time I go out there all those little animals are eating the leftovers from the day before or they've gathered on the fence or they're sitting up in the trees just waiting for me to throw down some fresh stuff.

It snowed yesterday so today I took a little time to shovel an area so their food wouldn't sink into the snow, and I was cracking up 'cause they were gathered around me, making all kinds of noise, telling me to hurry up.

When I got back upstairs into my kitchen I got goosebumps watching them all descend on the little spot where I throw the stuff.

I get REALLY, REALLY happy when all the birds and squirrels come flocking to me when I'm out in my back yard setting out their food every morning. It's so simple, but I'm a sap, and it makes me so darned happy to see them out back there, not having to worry about where they're going to find their food this winter.

My daughter spilled some popcorn and I asked her to vacuum it up. Right now she is vacuuming the entire room plus my bedroom. I love it when she cleans instead of me having to do it.

giz
    Just thinking about pie makes me happy. Apple pie, rhubarb pie, onion pie, savoury apple pie with cheese and onions in it, Russian mushroom pie with onions and dill.

Pom that is a great story on all counts - you getting the yard back and the animals having someone feed them regularly. I have a birdhouse and try to keep it filled with seed but I hate it when the squirrels hog it all and run the birds off. I also have a feeder that hangs from the tree and has narrow openings just for birds but the squirrels are crafty. They jump to it and will bend and contort their bodies and stick their paws in to get the seed out. It's funny to watch but they are too greedy!

Pom and ArchieComicFan I just love watching little birds and squirrels enjoy feedings in my backyard as well. Good for you!

Giz This sounds yummy. Could you please post the recipe on the recipe's thread if you can. Thanks!
    Russian mushroom pie with onions and dill.
    My simple happy thing today was Tootles being totally capitvated by a bic pen moving under a piece of plastic. He's seen it a hundred times before, but every time is a FIRST time for his little self. So terribly amusing.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Watching my son take his first steps, finally! (he's 13 months)

DesertRose, for him! Now the fun really starts!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    Watching my son take his first steps, finally! (he's 13 months)
    Good for him! That reminds me of a funny saying my SIL once said - We spend the first two years trying to get our kids to walk and talk and then all the years after trying to get them to sit down and be quiet!

+ Reply to Thread