+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree654Likes

Thread: What simple things make you happy?

Re: What simple things make you happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4057746;
    Interesting. Really helpful for him that you figured that out.
    I feel sorry for this student (just started 6th grade) that he's been afraid or ashamed to tell anyone -- even me, who's been his tutor for over a year. I wish I could have figured this out earlier, but it's a possibility I'd never thought of. And the discovery was kind of by accident. But now that this is no longer a "deep dark scary secret," he's starting to have fun learning again.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

A vase of red tulips...

Being inside, warm, dry and cozy on a rainy day in my new (to me) dream house, with 3 large dogs, snoring nearby and hubby in his man cave, watching (his fav) James Bond on tv. I can be doing any of my favorite things: cooking, crocheting (while watching trash tv), reading or oil painting. This is how I descibe heaven.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Kissing my any of my gurls (kitties) on top of their noses!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

being warm and dry on a rainy Valentine's night...looking forward to spring flowers to come from this rain!

Very sweet and heartfelt Valentines from my EFL tutoring kids who've been in the U.S. for less than a month -- written on their own, in their own brand of "English." My personal favorite is from a first grader, who, according to his sixth-grade cousin, hates studying and homework: "Dear Mrs. ______. you are a nice teacher I ever met. happy valentine's Day! love, ________"

Sometimes I wonder if my *not* being a parent makes me appreciate my sweet, funny little tutees even more. My husband gets a huge kick out of them, too. (Sometimes he volunteers at the library where I tutor and stops by to say "hi, Mrs. ______!" -- and then asks the kid if I'm "behaving and being a good tutor.") The kids tell me: "You have funny husband!"

*Sigh* Now if only I could figure out how to make this lucrative enough so that we can afford to ditch Kaiser Permanente and go back to real insurance and the doctors and pharmacists we trust and love. (As a freelancer with a minor pre-existing condition -- which requires only a very cheap Rx medicine and, really, nothing else but a yearly blood test -- I have to buy insurance through my husband's employer's group plan. The rates were raised to a ridiculous level on the plan we used to buy. Now we have the most inefficient, inconvenient, dumb-ass plan on the planet. The French people I work with are shocked, as their [oooh! evil!] single-payer plan has NONE of the inconvenient red tape and waiting that we have to deal with constantly. But that's probably material for a different thread.) Anyway, yeah these simple pleasures from my "biz" makes this other crap bearable.
    Last edited by Ellen; 02-15-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Nice, Ellen! Thanks for sharing. I love the notes I get from my students. And I am a parent, but still get a great kick out of my school kids. I have a little sticky note from a student I have been working with - "I need a nou book!" Considering he was an absolute non-reader just 6 months ago, that note means the world to me. Not quite a simple thing, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;4193571;
    Nice, Ellen! Thanks for sharing. I love the notes I get from my students. And I am a parent, but still get a great kick out of my school kids. I have a little sticky note from a student I have been working with - "I need a nou book!" Considering he was an absolute non-reader just 6 months ago, that note means the world to me. Not quite a simple thing, really.
    I know, huh?! These "little" things are big steps, which take a lot of courage for these students. I always hope that I'm effective in communicating how proud I am of them, and not take these efforts for granted.

Some of you may remember me telling of the fight my son had to wage to see his youngest daughter. Well, we've had her in our lives for about a year now and I know she loves me. She runs to me yelling "gramma!" and hugs me when she sees me and when I tell her I love her she says "love you too." This weekend she climbed up in my lap, wrapped her little arms around me, put her head on my chest and said, "I love you grandma." There is NOTHING in this world better than that!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

So happy to read this, Lil Bit. Makes the battle all worth while.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread