+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree693Likes

Thread: What simple things make you happy?

Re: What simple things make you happy?

After close to 42 hours with no electricity, heat, cable, phone, internet....having a warming home, lights, cable, phone and internet make me very, very happy! And the electric towel warmer in my bathroom warming up my towels while I took a hot shower were an added enjoyment too!

We were actually pretty lucky as we do have a gas fireplace in the family room, so that was put to good use. We could also warm stuff up on the gas stove in the kitchen if needed. Our cell phones were our lifelines. And my down comforter kept me toasty warm last night.

Hubby had to go to three Dunkin Donuts before he could get me a coffee and bagel on Friday and Saturday mornings! I so need my morning coffee!

I think we should invest in a transistor radio because I really missed hearing what was going on in the area during this ice storm. (I could have also listened to the Y&R on Friday too!)

One of the coolest things about the power outage was last night, the full moon was just soooo bright! I guess without the indoor and outdoor lights, it just reflected so brightly off all the snow and ice. It was really amazing and something I probably would not have noticed if we had power.

Now I just hope that all those still without power do get it soon. Some reports say it could be a week and a half before all are back up. It went down to 4 degrees last night and didn't get out of the teens today. A lot of people decided to go to hotels rather than spend the night in the cold. Some areas have opened up shelters as well in high school gyms, etc.

I am also glad I will be able to watch the season finale of Survivor tomorrow night!

I thought of you MamaC when I heard of the troubles in your area. Though we usually share the same weather warnings as you, we just missed the ice storm. There was ice and outtages all around us but for some reason our town had that pocket of warmth where we got nothing but hard rain for two days. I'm glad you finally got everything back as I know how it is to go that long without the basic comforts.
    CYA

I'm with MamaC- heat, hot coffee, clean towels, clean dishes, a hot shower. A huge thermos full of hot tea just in case. Now I'm going to see if I can get gas. The lines were prohibitive yesterday. Too many people still have to run generators and the gas stations are in and out of power.
    Count your blessings!

Knowing that in a couple of hours, I'll be in my seat at CBS waiting for the Survivor Finale to begin .... sorry, I can't stop saying it ...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

Have fun. How exciting.

My simple pleasure today? Knowing that I'm not married to an inebribiated complete and total jerk who doesn't know how to behave in mixed company. I am VERY lucky to have the husband I have.

We had a party last night and if you read the troubles thread, you can understand why I'm thankful to have a great husband.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3250962;
    I thought of you MamaC when I heard of the troubles in your area. Though we usually share the same weather warnings as you, we just missed the ice storm. There was ice and outtages all around us but for some reason our town had that pocket of warmth where we got nothing but hard rain for two days. I'm glad you finally got everything back as I know how it is to go that long without the basic comforts.
    Thanks for thinking of me, Bunny. My daughter lives 8 miles south of me in another town and she never lost power. However, a couple who also live in the same town died of CO poisoning! My parents live 35 miles north of me and they just had a snow event. They ended up with about 8 inches of snow, but never lost power.

As hardy as we are here in the Great Northeast, I really think if we had not gotten the power back on when we did, I would have bailed and gone to either my daughter's or up to my parents' place. My daughter is definitely closer, but her cable and internet were out. My parents had all the services. It would have been a tough choice! LOL

My daughter is thrilled we have power back but is not too thrilled about going back to school tomorrow! She had an early dismissal on Thursday, when it was snowing and had no school on Friday. There are still about 100,000 without power in the area and quite a lot of schools have already announced that they will be closed for tomorrow.

And Gut we had the same problems with the gas around here too. Either they were not opened, no electricity, or there were long lines. Fortunately, we had gassed up earlier in the week.

Our kids also got out early on Thursday and had Friday off.....for rain. We were forecast to have the ice but it just never happened. We usually lose our power in the summer when the thunderstorms roll through so while it's inconvenient, it's not quite as major as being in the dark in the winter.

A friend and I were out driving today to visit a friend who is just over the border in Mass. and we were behind a convoy of about 12 utility trucks from our area who were, I assume heading out to assist. I hope all who are still without power are soon up and running.
    CYA

Yes! We had power companies from Michigan, Buffalo, Rochester and Long Island up here. Still, there are over 100,000 without power as of 11 pm.

Tomorrow we are expected to get up into the 50s, which will be nice, but it is also supposed to be windy and that might cause some more issues! Then it will be back to near freezing by tomorrow night with possible snow. It isn't even officially winter yet!

(We actually had a couple of inches of snow in October....a few days before Halloween, but it didn't last very long. My daughter has already had two snow days and a day or two where school was delayed twice. I just hope this strange weather isn't an indication that we are in for one heck of a winter!)

We don't have school today and I have an appointment, so my simple pleasure is getting a sick day back. You never know when you're going to need those. I'm going to go to the main office and make sure they take care of it. I've heard sometimes sick days on cancelled school days slip through the cracks.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3250696;
    That's one thing I really hate. My husband is great at it though, so he wraps and I do the bows.

I find it relaxing and fun! I wrap all my mom's gifts, mine, and anyone else who wants me to! Plus it's a good way to make time go by faster.

+ Reply to Thread