+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree775Likes

Thread: What simple things make you happy?

MRD

Re: What simple things make you happy?

Listening to Veteran's tell their stories. Especially one man today who told me that no one wants to listen and I said I do, please tell me and he did and then he got tears in his eyes and thanked me for listening when I was trying to thank HIM for not only serving, but sharing his experiences.

Sometimes listening is the best thing you can do for someone.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

True fall weather!

I love to listen to wise, elderly, experienced people tell their stories. There is so much to be learned from their words and tales.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3230957;
    True fall weather!

I love to listen to wise, elderly, experienced people tell their stories. There is so much to be learned from their words and tales.
    And sadly either their families are gone or live far away or don't want to hear it. This gentleman had outlived both his wife and only child. I know he was lonely and also just wanting to get the story out. We are doing oral histories and I got him to sign up to give his oral history to the museum, so it will be there for posterity.

I have met several elderly people with amazing stories to tell and they are always so grateful for an audience. There are 2 ladies that attend functions at the museum and because they don't get around so well, they tend to sit in one place. I always try to make it a point to sit down and spend time with them because so many people don't. And I don't know why because both are amazing and so funny. I keep saying I want to be like them when I "grow" up. Both ladies are also in their 90's, so I know they won't be around forever, so I'm glad to listen.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

So many people are written off because of their ages. What I find sad is how many people are missing out on such rich experiences...and I think it's more about them being afraid of what "old age" is bringing toward them. These people are fabulous!! The things that they can tell you are just amazing! They talk to you about things you've only read about in history books....and then the jucier parts that you will never get in history books!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My aunt passed away several months ago, and dad had the job of cleaning out her apartment. Had dinner at his place tonight ... he had some letters that my mom (who passed away in July '99) wrote to my aunt in the 1960s! It was so much fun to read them!!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

A great sale. I found a South Pole winter coat for my daughter regularly $80 for $35.

FORT Newbie

I wish I could post a picture of the cookie I'm eating right now. Dark chocolate, slightly gooey center, lots of walnuts. It is making me very happy indeed.

Getting a letter from The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society letting me know that the Columbus chapter of the society raised $680,000 through the 2008 Light The Night Walk that I participated in. Thanks to all of you that donated.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3231133;
    My aunt passed away several months ago, and dad had the job of cleaning out her apartment. Had dinner at his place tonight ... he had some letters that my mom (who passed away in July '99) wrote to my aunt in the 1960s! It was so much fun to read them!!
    SR5Rfan - that is great news! A bit of insight into the past.

And to Keymaster - the cookie sounds incredible

Dagwood - a sale is always wonderful especially if it is something that gives so much pleasure (like staying warm in the winter!)

Unklescott - great job on the fundraiser. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Oh yeah, my simple pleasure is receiving the photo book I made for my dad in the mail. I will be giving it to him for Christmas. It is all about him and a trip we took together.
    Last edited by Cootie; 11-13-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: forgot to add something!

Witnessing my French ESL student's "aha!" moment when, after a long struggle, she finally "got" when to use present perfect vs. simple past. Her whole face lit up just before she said, "Oh! THAT's how it works!" and I believe I heard an angel chorus somewhere in the distance.
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-13-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread