+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree633Likes

Thread: What simple things make you happy?

MRD

Re: What simple things make you happy?

There are magical hospital scrub stores, but Walmart sells a good brand that is a LOT more inexpensive than the uniform stores do.

Scrub pants are SO comfy.

My simple pleasure today? Getting some good bargains on produce at the flea market and a nap this afternoon and going to the baseball game tonight with hubby. (who finally gets to use the tickets I bought for his birthday back in APRIL!!!)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I can never find good deals/items at stores. I can search for hours and come up empty. Some people, like you mrd,seem to have the magic touch!

MRD

Well CA, I think it's my "turn". As I spent many years paying full price, never finding bargains, etc. It seems like the last few years, my luck has turned. But I also do more bargain hunting now than I used too. Can you believe that I had NEVER been to a yard sale, let alone had one, never been to a flea market and never bought a used car until I met my husband. He's never paid full price for ANYTHING. And I swear I feel like men do when they "bag the big deer" when I find a bargain. I was taught to not talk about money, but dayum, when you can get Liz Claiborne pants for $5 on sale, you have GOT to brag. (that wasn't today's bargain, but it was a bargain I got several years ago and I still get excited about THAT one. I think that may have been one of my top 5 all time bargains. )

My simple pleasure: enjoying a lovely evening outside that you could tell fall just might be, possibly, right around the corner and the oppresive heat we've had for the past few weeks has finally cleared out for a bit.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3174167;
    Another simple pleasure... unloading another huge mountain of moldy boxes at the dump. I've been at it for 4 or 5 weeks now, after thoughtlessly throwing every box for 7 years into the shed. Now to get rid of them, I have to break them down and haul them to the dump. It is stinky, yukky work, but coming home to a noticeably more open shed is my reward. I'm going to make another run now and then I think I'll only have about 2 more weeks to have it DONE! Then I'll start on the bags of fabric scraps in the attic.
    Gutmutter - There are a ton of quilting groups out there who create quilts for charity. I'm sure that one of them would be happy to take those fabric scraps off or your hands. I did a quick search and turned up the site below which has links to some of the charities.

Quilting for Charity

My simple pleasure today was spending a rainy afternoon working on a brand new jigsaw puzzle
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Ooooh, I love jigsaw puzzles. My simple pleasure this morning is ginger preserves on rye toast. Odd combo, but delicious.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3174583;
    I can never find good deals/items at stores. I can search for hours and come up empty. Some people, like you mrd,seem to have the magic touch!
    I have learned to head for the back or far side wall of a store to find what they want to unload as quickly as possible, and then make an offer (definitely less than the posted price) that they are likely to take! I call that area the "get this s*** out of my store" section. I have found amazing deals in this area. I am a gadget freak, and I found a 19.99 speed peeler for 2.00 in an area like this! It's been years ago, and it still tickles my very soul today, everytime I use it!!

I've also been known to stalk an item until it is ridiculously marked down. I got a couple of great sculptures like that. I was in that store every week until I hit paydirt! The sales clerk actually tried to talk me out of buying them because she wanted them. Sorry, Sister! You Snooze....You Loose!

It's called 'determination'!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That is great determination. I like these tricks of the trade. Maybe now I'll have more luck when I'm able to get to a store again.

I was happy today because I "woke up" to live and enjoy another day.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3175302;
    That is great determination. I like these tricks of the trade. Maybe now I'll have more luck when I'm able to get to a store again.

Once you get that "first capture" under your belt, you will be hooked!!!

Also look for stores going out of business (which are not hard to find with this economy). They always accept offers below posted prices. I've gotten great furniture that way! You make, what may seem to you, a ridiculously low offer and the sales clerk goes running off to find the manager...and then they come back and say, "Sold!"

I've even had sales clerks give me their employee discount. I got a $200 cashmere sweater for $40 once. Talk about a rush!!!

I calll it 'adventure shopping'.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

. . . Also look for stores going out of business (which are not hard to find with this economy). . .
    . . . or with the continuing proliferation of Wal-Mart. After seeing the documentary Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices, there's no way I'd ever set foot into one again. It's made me even more determined to give my business to privately owned stores before they're forced out of business. The quality of service and and uniqueness is a simple thing that makes me happy!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread