+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: What simple things make you happy?

Re: What simple things make you happy?

Today's simple pleasure: finishing the 4 bulletin boards in my classroom. It takes me about 3 days and takes up the whole back wall. First I put up a fun pattern of brightly colored paper, then I make giant collages of photos I collect from magazines with the theme, "How do you define beauty?". Two of the boards are guys and two are girls and they're all nationalities and ages. Kids love it.
    Count your blessings!

Making my almost four-year-old niece laugh by being silly. She was being obstinate, and I told her if she didn't start being nicer to her Mom I would "throw on her the floor like an old towel." She thought it was hilarious! She kept saying "old towel" and giggling all night long. I dread the day I can't cajole her out of a mood by just saying something silly.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3171841;
    Don't you wish more negative people would learn this?

Wow, CA, I agree with the above, you've been through a lot more than a lot of us even knew. Keep on going. You are definetly an inspiration to a lot of people.
    I've wanted to ask but was afraid to, but do you mind (if you do, that's ok, I'm just curious-nosy really, but curious is a nicer way of putting it. ) telling us what happened that originally put you in the hospital?

I just am thrilled that you've come so far in such a short amount of time. Keep it up girl! You're doing great and you are certainly helping me count my own blessings. And one of them is you! It's a blessing to know someone who is so positive.
    I came into the hospital on June 7th because my mom and grandma brought me in. I was suffering from Anorexia. My brain was completely warped (and malnourished) as was my body. My body started breaking down because I wasn't feeding it enough and exercising too much. I was very sick. Then on top of that, my heart started breaking down (20 beats per minute or less), my liver, kidney, brain, etc all started shutting down. Also I had bleeding ulcers in my stomach which prevented me from eating (above and beyond my own restriction from food). They were more concerned about the mental aspect that my medical needs got lost in the process so my body shut itself down and around the 14th of June I coded and since that time my body's been trying to heal itself.

Mom and I figured it out yesterday. I had a feeding tube for 9 weeks, a pic line for 8, a cathator for 7, I was intubated via mouth and via trach tube (breathing for me) for 8 weeks, and so on. It's absolutely nuts to look back at where I was and where I am now both physically and mentally.

My simple pleasure today: getting dressed myself and doing my ADLs and having the nurses stop by without having a reason! They actually like coming to my room now .

Gut: I loved doing bulletin boards!! They're so much fun.

BT: Little children are so adorable!

Wow CA, you were very sick. I'm so glad you got into the hospital and received treatment. Please continue to get better and stronger and keep the great outlook you currently have! Love you girl!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Wow, CA, you have truly made a lot of progress. It's so wonderful to hear you be so positive after such a terrible experience. Keep on girl, you're doing great! I have just been uplifted so much by how much progress you've made especially in the past 2 weeks. You are really doing great and I'm sure that has to be big boost to you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It really has been. It's sort of feeding on itself. I know that I'll hit a plateau in my progress because I simply don't have the strength/muscle or endurance yet, but that doesn't matter because every day i'm just a little bit stronger and can do just a little bit more than the day before!

I'm so glad that you're getting the help you need, ca. It's sounds like you're in a really good place, mentally and physically.

I'm so glad you're letting us in to help support you angel.
    My simple pleasure today - a pair of black scrubs (pants) I found at Walmart. Inexpensive, lightweight, soooo comfy, yet when the elastic/drawstring is covered up, looks like a pair of dress pants. I'm so going to wear them to teach in. Probably every week.
    Count your blessings!

Gut, the bulletin board sounds wonderful! And the pants-my kind of pants! How did your mask turn out? I was cleaning out my sons room (they've all used it at one time or another) and I found a mask that Matt made about 10 years ago in art class. I thought about you as soon as I saw it! I will be putting it up in my sewing room (as soon as I replaster and repaint).

CA, I'm so pleased that you are doing so well and happy that you have good people in your corner!

The mask(s) turned out well. Thanks. I am going to do some form of mask making with the 5th graders I'm going to teach. Now sure how deep into it since I don't have a mess-friendly classroom. But I'll def be displaying my cancer mask.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread