+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where were you when the lights went out??

FORT Fanatic
    I had just turned on my answering machine at home when all the electricity suddenly went out. My first thought was "what the he** did I do?". Fortunately, I'm fully prepared for emergencies such as this. I have the battery operated radio, flashlights. and extra batteries. ...Unfortunately, I couldn't remember where I put the radio and the kids took the extra batteries. So, we ran around the house searching for the radio, and stealing the batteries from the remotes and hubby's nose hair clippers to get the radio going. I was relieved to find out I didn't cause the black out though.
    It's incredibly boring without electricity, and it was so hot last night. My eyelids were sweating. With the windows open I could hear every little cricket chirp and mentally decided to add bug killer to my emergency black out kit.
    At 2am this morning, I thought a 747 landed in my living room (thats where I fell asleep finally) only to find out that it was my dishwasher and the AC coming on.
    The whole day wasn't a disaster though. We had an impromptu pool party. We cooked on the grill, and I forced ice cream cake on everyone whether they wanted it or not.
    I've learned alot about myself from this experience. . I am definitely not cut out for Little house on the Prairie living....and I really, really, hate crickets.
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

I was at home, listening to some music when the player when out. I tought that it was going to be for a few minutes. Boy, was I wrong! Luckily I have flashlights, candles, portable radio, and even a battery powered TV!

Quote Originally Posted by haejin11377
    I was at home, listening to some music when the player when out. I tought that it was going to be for a few minutes. Boy, was I wrong! Luckily I have flashlights, candles, portable radio, and even a battery powered TV!
    I live in NYC, and I was at home watching tv, when it happened. At first, I thought it was just my apt, and then heard my neighbors outside, and we realized it was th ewhole building and there were some people trapped in the elevator, so we called 911. Luckily, I live on the 8th Fl. so I went down to get some water and food. Some people on the higher floors camped out in the lobby. (And to think, I had envied these people for having spectacular views.)

2 of my friends came over from work b/c they couldn't get home, so we had an impromptu slumber party. Luckily, my laptop still had batteries, so I could check the news from time to time, but I was freaking out when I found out it had happened to the whole northeast - terrorists were the first thing on my mind. I'm so glad that it wasn't and we all survived it, but it was just scary to realize how much we depend on electricity.

I was here in LA when I heard about it. We have many relatives over on the East Coast, mainly in NYC, so my entire family kind of freaked out. We tried to get in contact with them via their cell phones. Some of theirs worked and some didn't. Thankfully, for those whose cell phones didn't work, when they got their power back, we found out they were doing just fine the whole time. It's good to hear that all you FORTers are doing great too. I'm really sorry you guys had to go through that whole ordeal though! (At least it took the media's attention away from our embarrassing recal... Just kidding!)
    *Lacey

I was cleaning out my closet (getting ready for my move to collge) and listening to the radio and the radio station I was listening to went out. I thought it was odd so I changed the station and the next one I went to was fine. Then it started to get fuzzy so I went up and down the dial and nothing. I thought maybe it was just something in my city. Then my brother began yelling that the computer died and my mom was yelling about the TV and the lights. My father was in the basement working and my mom blamed him for the electrical problems. Then I explained to her about the radio stations and finally we learned about the blackout.

The power came and went out a couple times and then the company was going to cut power in our area and kept saying and saying it but never did...

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    I am wondering as a southern person not touched by the black out , if all those people I saw in cars on tv were offering people rides? I know my first instinct was either if I had a car I would have piled people in or if I was walking I would have asked a stranger. lol
    I was watching a news channel (no clue which one) and they had footage of all the people walking over the bridge. The announcer was saying that if people were driving in this, please pick up pedestrians.

The subway car under the river would have been my worst nightmare.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    The subway car under the river would have been my worst nightmare.
    The news had a man on who said that he was trapped in the tunnel when the lights went out. The guy said he just sat in his car and waited for the tunnel to fill with water.
    I know I'll remember that everytime I go through that tunnel.
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

I was getting a haircut and the radio was playing over the speakers. Someone had called in to ask about the power outage in Cleveland (I live in Columbus) and if it was all over the East coast also. I said to the girl cutting my hair "Did you hear that? There is a power outage in New York?" Her response was "You've got a cottage in New York?"

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    It was a case of DEAF YOUNG PEOPLE...
    I was in love with a difficult man.

I was replying to a thread on FORT and my freind was IMing people on the other comp, then everything went black im like wtf did you do? lol
    "I like children - fried."
    W.C. Fields.

!~*Beckster*~!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast