+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where were you when the lights went out??

Precisely. You know me too well, Amanda.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Regular
    :-P okay, but I didn't SEE all those people... only the ones outside the bars!

FORT Fogey
    Hmmm... good convo topic

I was watching TV (what else ), and it went out. I figured it'd just be a few-minute thing, and I was right. For a while. It then came back on, but went out again. We had ordered a pizza before the lights went out (for dinner, yes we eat early, like 4:15 ish). We were pretty lucky, because if we had ordered it about 5 minutes later, it wouldnt've been able to be made. *score!* Basically, I listened to the radio and read magazines the whole time. The one thought that went through my mind was, "It better be on by tomorrow at 3:00 PM" (That's when the Little League World Series Game is on!)

-Rach

I was at work. The lights started to dim on and off. Then they went off, the computers went black, and the AC died. On my way home a 20 minute ride turned into 45. It could have been longer if I took the main road.

At home, I read until the natural light was gone, washed some dishes, and ate a sandwich and drank ice tea and water. Although, it was declared a state of emergency, I went for a little ride with the AC on and it was very relaxing. I made and got some phone calls and listened to the radio. I also rested much more than usual and that was a good thing.

I got my electricity back on between 4-4:30 a.m.

If anyone missed the TAR, they will re-air it tomorrow.

In LA, thank goodness... but tons of people I care about are in the thick of the blackout...New York, Toronto, Detroit and Lansing...

I was at home(Texas) taking a nap and did not hear about the blackout until 4pm. I feel for everyone going through it though. I had no power for a few hours one day and went nuts. I can imagine how miserable it could be for a few days.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    In the bathroom. The light had gone out, and I pull up my pants and went to turn on the other lights. When they didn't go on a actually shouted, "What the f*ck going on?!?" Mom checked all the lights and she said, "They're all out." We checked with the neighbors, and they said that their lights were off. I first thought that our neighborhood was out. Then Stephanie (our sitter) called her sister and her sister said it was all over Staten Island. Then we found out it was citywide. Then we found out it was all over the place. Our neighbors were really nice, suggesting that we go to the store to get ice and none perishable food. It was fun but I'm glad it's over.
    I was in love with a difficult man.

I was here on the FORT. I live in the Seattle area, but have family in NYC. My dad got the worst of it, working for CON Ed. and my mom, who was trapped in a subway train under the east river.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Fogey
    I am wondering as a southern person not touched by the black out , if all those people I saw in cars on tv were offering people rides? I know my first instinct was either if I had a car I would have piled people in or if I was walking I would have asked a stranger. lol

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    They actually were I think.
    I was in love with a difficult man.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast