+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rebel against "engagement rings".

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Not to mention there will always be some snob who judges your fiance's sincerity, wealth, etc. by the size of the ring he gets you.
    I worked with a woman once that HIS grandmother took one of her rings off her finger and gave it to her, when she saw the "pitiful excuse for a ring" that he had given her. Then she chastised him for insulting the family, as in everyone will think the family she's marrying into is poor, when they look at "that".

I buy jewelry at auctions and in lots and some direct from manufacturer, and sell it on e-bay. There are a lot of second hand rings that are really nice, and don't break the bank. The two or three months salary thing is CRAZY. Also they inflate the prices too much in a fancy store. If you knew what the wholesale was , you'd flip. E-bay is a great source , you can even buy direct from the famous NY diamond sellers at wholesale.

Before you think a big screen TV will impress your girl and her family, think of Grannys thoughts

I have piles of rings and what do I wear? A simple eternity ring with about a ct of square cut diamonds bezel set all the way around. ( Good idea for the missus Paulie - it doesn't catch on anything ,but with all she gets into still with small kids, maybe only stones halfway round) My original (way too fancy, but I didn't pick them) rings were stolen. The simple ring was what I replaced them with.

Hey FG we should get together , captive audience and all that
    Last edited by eny; 08-17-2003 at 10:39 PM.

17 years ago my husband got my engagement ring, it has 5 small sapphires in a channel setting (they are flat in the ring) I think it cost him less then a weeks salery but it's a wonderful classy ring and I love it better then any diamond. Personally I think diamond rings are so boring. My mother's engagement ring was a pearl. My best friend's engagement ring was a "mother's ring" for her second marrage (her husband had his, hers and her kids birthstones put on it since he figured he was marrying into the family)

Personally I think the 3 month rule is farce, I think diamonds are over rated and I would much rather have a smaller ring and a better computer.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Paulie...a nice watch is a good idea, it's great to have a dressy watch to slip on when you aren't in mommy mode. My husband also went to a custom jewlers and had a pretty pin designed for me for our fith anniversay. It's simple but very pretty. (it has roses which was the flowers I carried at the wedding, I'm sure he didn't totally design the pin himself, he just went in with the idea of what he wanted)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FYI, I wound up getting her a nice ring. It's white gold and its S-shape is reminiscent of her engagement and wedding rings. It has an amethyst (her birthstone) in the middle and ten little diamonds embedded in the ring itself (five on each side of the main stone). Obviously, each diamond represents a year of marriage. I think it looks very pretty, and I think she'll be excited about it. It's pretty much the perfect blend of sentiment, beauty, and cost I was looking for.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Aww... that sounds so sweet. I like the 10 diamonds for each year of marriage idea.

So...you're thinking I should've bought a ring with 100 diamonds on it?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Um, yeah. You're so cheap, Paulie.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I was rather surprised when my honey whipped out the ring when he proposed...its a 3.4 carat yellow diamond, flawless Its princess cut and has four tiny white diamonds channeled set on each set. It truly is purty... I gave him a 42 inch plasma tv . So we are both happy...Well im happier..I have the ring, the tv, him and my two boston terriers Lulu and hoppy!!!
    I Actually would have been happy with a plain platinum band. So many females I know make such a fuss over the size of the stone...geez..when i got engaged...and showed my co-workers the ring..comments ranged from..."you got a good one" (I know) to "damn...is it big enough?" to "Oh i hate yellow diamonds.." WOmen can be soooo catty.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

FORT Fogey
    Paulie, Way to go!!! you did good babe! Pats Paulie on the back, thinks Mrs Paulie got a good one!
    I am impressed w/your thought and your sentiment!
    Lets hear it for Paulie!!

Paulie...you are so hot.

So when is she getting this 100 diamond ring?

+ Reply to Thread