+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rebel against "engagement rings".

Quote Originally Posted by blindart
    If a man wants a woman because of her physical/material attributes - styled dyed hair, manicured nails, high heels, fake boobs, than it serves him right that such an empty gesture based on keeping up appearances should be part of the deal...You can't have it both ways though. You can't pick out a glittery trophy girl for your arm and expect to woo her with chopped liver.
    Not quilty, eventhough other men might be.

I don't like "dyed hair", excessive makeup and "glitzy nails" on a woman. I prefer natural hair (of any colour), little makeup, and plain clean nails. I am attracted to natural burnettes, blonds and redheads, and dislike dyed or wigged fake hair. Eventhough I often can't tell the difference visually, there is nothing like the feminine smell of just shampooed natural clean hair.

I hate "fake boobs" and cosmetic surgery. I am not attracted to big breasts even if they are real; smallish breasts seem more natural, healthy and virginal.

I prefer to wear causal clothings myself unless required for work, so I don't expect "glittery clothes" on my date/mate.

Being a legs man, my only guilty pleasure are women's clean-shaven smooth legs in silky stockings and possibly high heel shoes. To my knowledge, shaving gear and stockings are not expensive.
    Last edited by Bill747; 08-15-2003 at 12:41 PM.

Kind of along the same lines of the rest of this thread (but actually a totally different topic, I guess, for which I didn't feel like starting a new thread ), my wife and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in two weeks. I'd like to get her something nice to wear, jewelry-wise, but I'm not sure what to pursue. Any good suggestions? Some things to bear in mind:

1) My wife isn't flashy and doesn't like gawdy-looking jewelry.
    2) She prefers silver-colored jewelry to gold.
    3) She has plenty of earrings, owing to the fact that my mother makes jewelry and always lets her choose her favorites when we visit.

I suspect I'll just have to roam the jewelry stores and keep my eyes peeled. I'll probably know it when I see it, but I'm interested in any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by dobolina
    I dont know how long it will be, but Canada is rife with mineable diamonds. I saw a special on 20/20 about people who have found areas in Northern Canada that are rich in diamond deposits....I dont think there is much conflict in Canada--other than the price of da BEERS.
    Quite correct. Not all diamonds are "blood diamonds" from war-torn countries in Africa.

There is a boom in diamond mining in northern Canada, especially in or near Yellowknife. There is such a boom in town that there is almost negative unemployment, ie shortage of workers in all occupations, especially construction trades. There is such a shortage that even untrained summer students are snapped up by the mining companies; even the fast food restuarants are short staffed and are now crying for imported workers.

I don't care for diamonds myself, but I hope everybody else keep buying clean "Canadian diamonds."

See, I'm really glad that this thread went somewhere. Now I get to appease my girly side while not offending my ultra-PC conscience. Yay!

Paulie, I've seen some gorgeous silver bracelets (and necklaces and rings, for that matter) that incorporate birthstones into them. I don't know if your wife would like something like that, but they're really pretty.

FORT Fogey
    Paulie I like the illusion necklaces, they are the ones you can't see the string around the neck and the pendant part looks to be floating. I have two very small diamond hearts. They aren't flashy and I wear them w/everything. They are set in sliver. They are super small each heart is about the size of a an average nail head.
    Also, since it is a really big anniversary a really nice watch ( silver) that she can wear with everything would be a good one! Depending on what you want to spend. Then you can have the back enscribed with something great like the " the best time of my life" or something like that. And she will wear it all the time and think of you!

Thanks for the suggestions, Amanda and FG. And especially Feif, who sent me PMs with ideas.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    Or how about a trip for the two of you and you could get one of those cool Limoges boxes that is a symbol of your trip to wrap and give to her! Then you get to enjoy it too and she gets to have the box as a keep sake!

Princess
    I'm with Feifer, I LOVE sparkly ! However, I also want colour - strong colours, so diamonds won't do it for me. Hepcat, I love tantzanite too, I have a pendant with a tantzanite which is really sparkly and pretty . I also have a pendant with a large pink sapphire - very sparkly as well.
    I don't like to wear rings, so if I ever get married, I would be happy to get just a plain gold ring, and I would probably not wear it all the time. (Hmm.. maybe it could be worn in a chain around the neck? )

(Interesting about the Canadian diamonds, btw.)

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'm not a girly girl, but I love the tradition of the engagement ring, and I love mine.

When my husband and I got engaged we could barely afford our rent (yes, we were living in sin), yet alone jewelry.

But the simple solitaire that he picked out is so special it makes me smile whenever I see it. Sometimes I just sit and stare at it.

For our 5th anniversary, he asked if I would like a "nicer" one. I said Never! But what he did do was have it remounted in a different setting with 2 smaller stones on the side. It's still as beautiful as ever.

I like plasma tvs (though I don't have one), cars, wireless gadgets, etc... as much as everyone else. But I don't think there's much we have in this house from 7 yrs ago at all...and if there is, it doesn't mean anything to me, nor does it symbolize that time in our lives like my ring does.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    ...(Interesting about the Canadian diamonds, btw.)
    For those concerned about where their diamonds came from, there is now a paper trail for every Canadian diamond.

Code to establish origins of a diamond
    CBC North Nov 8 2002

Yellowknife, N.W.T. - Figuring out what makes a Canadian diamond Canadian is an issue that the country's diamond industry has been wrestling with for several years.The federal competition bureau says a diamond is Canadian when it's mined in the North at Ekati mine - Canada's only diamond mine.

But diamonds are often cut and polished overseas. And the numbers don't add up. More gems are sold as Canadian diamonds than are mined here in the North. "I've seen many diamond programs where I wouldn't have a clue where the diamonds came from. That isn't to say they aren't proper and there isn't a trace back to the Ekati mine," says Graham Nicholls, vice president of BHP-Billiton Diamonds.But there's no proof that extends all the way from the mine, through a cutting plant half way around the world, and back to the jewelry store.

The Canadian Diamond Code of Conduct is supposed to change that. "This code is about truth in advertising. It's making sure that the diamond industry and the representations made to consumers are clear and accurate and truthful," says Raymond Pierce of the federal competition bureau. The department has been fielding complaints about what's Canadian and what isn't.

Every diamond of every size is now supposed to be accompanied by paperwork every step of the way. Consumers can ask retailers to produce the whole paper trail for a small fee. Nicholls says BHP-Billiton helped develop the code in order to protect the Canadian industry. "What the code really does is link together work that ought to be done by different participants in the chain anyway."

He says the voluntary code won't create much extra work or add significantly to cost of gems.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those not concerned, there is a new place to find diamond rings.

Want diamonds? Try an N.W.T. dump
    CBC News 29 Jun 2003

YELLOWKNIFE - The capital of the Northwest Territories has some treasure hiding on the outskirts of the city, but the mayor is worried scavengers will get hurt hunting for it. The city's landfill is chock full of goodies in the garbage, including personal items, like jewelry, and various household merchandise, like appliances that are virtually unused.

The reason? Many people move up to the North to work for only a brief time, and when they head home they take very little back on the plane. "When people leave town, literally the whole contents of their house come out here," says one man who regularly visits the local dump.

"People have found diamond rings, they've found boxes of jewelry. It's quite amazing the things that you see show up here." "It's fantastic," agrees another man, enthusiastically sorting through all kinds of rubbish in search of riches. "You can find stuff here with price tags still on them, not even out of the box."

Scavenging is unsafe, says mayor. Yellowknife Mayor Gord Van Tighem says it's too dangerous having scavengers wandering through the dump. He says most communities across Canada have outlawed the practice, and it's time his city impose restrictions as well. Gord Van Tighem "One of the biggest concerns of course is safety because you have large trucks that are backing up," says Tighem, who admits his wife sometimes visits the dump to look for valuables.

"No one's been hurt out here yet. So I don't buy that argument," counters one local resident, who thinks politicians are more worried about image than safety. "A lot of people think it gives the town a bad name. But I think it's just the opposite. It shows how good we recycle things up here."

For now, Yellowknife has no plans to stop all scavenging at the dump. But the city is considering restrictions such as setting up a special area where people can look for treasures in the trash.
    Last edited by Bill747; 08-16-2003 at 12:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread