+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rebel against "engagement rings".

Nausicaa, I love star sapphires. My sister has a beautiful one and you don't see them much. I think in England they traditionally give a sapphire, not a diamond.

My hubby-to-be sold his car to buy my ring. But it wasn't an audi, it was a 15-year old Buick.

I'm not big on diamonds, don't know why, they just seem a little boring to me. I really love Tanzanite. We went shopping for a ring together. The first place we went to was called "The Family Jewels" (who could resist a shop like that?) and this woman was behind the counter with a leathery face. She just had that "rode hard & put away wet" look - like she'd had a long & hard life. My hubby said he'd like to see some rings with tanzanite, and she turned to me and said, "honey, you don't want that. You want to make sure he gets you a big diamond so that when you have to hock it some day, it'll be worth something." We thanked her and left. Way to bring down the sappy engaged couple!

I never really understood the diamond affinity so I told my hubby to be that I loved Tanzanite.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I must be getting old. The first thing I look for when I'm checking out a woman is the ring. When did that start happening?
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    . I really love Tanzanite. We went shopping for a ring together. The first place we went to was called "The Family Jewels" (who could resist a shop like that?) and this woman was behind the counter with a leathery face. She just had that "rode hard & put away wet" look - like she'd had a long & hard life. My hubby said he'd like to see some rings with tanzanite, and she turned to me and said, "honey, you don't want that. You want to make sure he gets you a big diamond so that when you have to hock it some day, it'll be worth something." We thanked her and left. Way to bring down the sappy engaged couple!
    She probably cut off her husband's "Family Jewels" and used that as a logo.

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    I just want the whole package, the commitment, the diamond and the ever after. I am sucker what can I say, I love diamonds. A tv, stereo will become obsolete. I like other stones too and realize many are more rare as well, like emeralds and colored diamonds. Diamonds just go well with every thing. I don't think it is shallow to like jewelry. We all have our likes and dislikes. Some it is electronics that cost much more than a diamond, or cars or airplanes, houses, horses, what ever. I like the tradition myself. And just like many other things I think it's fine to buy the best you can afford if it is what floats your boat. I am sure a lot of guys who don't give a rip about a diamond would spend over their budget to get the newest and latest TV screen, Computer what ever and they will all be out of date so quickly. At least with gems they don't go out, and you can easily have them re-set and mounted to become other pieces!
    I have to agree with FG here, and stick up for all the girly girls out there who love diamonds. I don't consider myself a materialistic person, and I would certainly never pressure, nor have I ever in the past demanded any jewelry from my husband. He just happens to be a very romantic and traditional man, who doesn't shy away from old-fashioned gestures of love that some people might think outmoded, like red roses, holding open doors, and diamond rings.

I was so touched when he surprised me on our engagement with a beautiful princess diamond ring that was exactly my taste. Same for my wedding band, a diamond and platinum wraparound that, as FG points out, goes with everything. He loves to buy me diamond jewelry, and always picks everything out himself--I'm actually more touched by the fact that he is in tune enough with me to select pieces I would enjoy than the fact of the money.

But believe me, if he couldn't afford it, I would have married the man if he put a ring of tin foil around my finger, because I'm not in love with what's in his bank account account, but what's in his pants-- Just kidding, I mean his heart. I am in love with what is in his heart.

I don't consider myself in the least bit high-maintenance. But a french manicure and diamond jewelry, are a subtle, low-key way to add polish to any ensemble, even a birthday suit. What's so wrong about that?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Just to play devil's advocate for a second here - for those of you who said that they really like the look of diamonds (and I count myself as one of those people as well), how do you feel about the manufactured ones? I know a woman who has a diamonique (sp?) tennis bracelet from QVC, and I'll tell you - without a loupe, you aren't going to be able to tell the difference. Would you feel cheated if you were presented with one of those?

[IMG]images/img/DiamondRing1.jpg[/IMG]

This is a picture of my engagement ring propped up on my wedding band. It is kind of fuzzy. I did not know it was so hard to take a good picture of jewelry.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Well, I love my ring, not for what stone it is, but what it means. It means my husband is committed to me through thick and thin. Every time I look at my hand I think of him and how lucky I am.

With that said, I definitely wanted a diamond engagement ring. Didn't want to break the bank, but wanted one. Got one. A beautiful one. But I'll tell you that as much as I love it (we went for quality, not quantity - it's a bit below 3/4 of a carat and is excellent quality - I forget - VS1 or something), what I remember about the day I got engaged is not looking at my finger to see what the ring looked like, but the fact I was under the christmas tree at Rockefeller Center getting proposed to by the man of my dreams

And AmandaG - for my wedding, my husband gave me a Diamonique Tennis Bracelet from QVC. It is spectacular and you cannot tell the difference. At all!!! I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Just to play devil's advocate for a second here - for those of you who said that they really like the look of diamonds (and I count myself as one of those people as well), how do you feel about the manufactured ones? I know a woman who has a diamonique (sp?) tennis bracelet from QVC, and I'll tell you - without a loupe, you aren't going to be able to tell the difference. Would you feel cheated if you were presented with one of those?
    When I turned 11 my dad gave me a beautiful gold pendant with a clear stone in it. He put it around my neck and I looked at him and said thank you with the biggest smile on my face. I asked, "Daddy, is it a real diamond?". His smile dimmed and he quietly said, "No, sweety it is a cubic zirconium". Without missing a beat I said,"It will always be a diamond to me." He beamed and gave me a huge hug. Neither one of us was let down that day.

To this day I still consider that as my first diamond. See, we did not have a bunch of money and my parents scraped together enough cash to have a birthday party at the local skating rink. It was a really big deal to me. I got to invite 7 people to my party. Woohoo! I really thought that the party was my present. Besides plain gold earings, I had never had any real jewelry.

I thought I lost it when I was 17 on a trip to Six Flags. The chain broke and I was devistated until I got home and undressed. I was about to step in the shower when I looked down and discovered that the pendant was stuck to my boob. It fell ito my bra when the chain came apart. I still have that pendant today and each time I wear it my dad beams.

I do not feel cheated in the least. My dad gave me a gift out of love.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

That's such a sweet story, Feifer. I'm SO glad you didn't lose it!

You have a very pretty wedding set, too.

But I guess my question is really more in terms of engagement rings. I'm kind of conflicted about this one myself, I have to admit. When my fiance and I decided to get married, it was just that - a decision that took place after a conversation. We didn't have a "moment", there was no getting down on one knee at sunset or anything like that. Therefore, there is not, as of yet, a ring involved. He told me at the time to let him know what I wanted as far as that goes (god, this is the most unromantic story EVER), and I can't make up my mind. It's like, on the one hand, I don't want to be brainwashed by DeBeers, because I really really REALLY think that they're evil. On the other hand, I *am* kinda brainwashed. There's this gnawing little part of my mind that says "Oooo...get a pretty sparkly rock", while the other is saying "Why should some poor African kids have to die so I can show off this overpriced (have you SEEN the markups on diamonds?!?") stone?" It's a conundrum.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I have to agree with FG here, and stick up for all the girly girls out there who love diamonds.
    He just happens to be a very romantic and traditional man, who doesn't shy away from old-fashioned gestures of love that some people might think outmoded, like red roses, holding open doors, and diamond rings.

But believe me, if he couldn't afford it, I would have married the man if he put a ring of tin foil around my finger, because I'm not in love with what's in his bank account account, but what's in his pants-- Just kidding, I mean his heart.
    But a french manicure and diamond jewelry, are a subtle, low-key way to add polish to any ensemble, even a birthday suit. What's so wrong about that?
    SFG, you crack me up!!!!
    Being an old fashioned guy, I have to agree with the holding open doors, red roses, etc. Gestures of love is a very appropriate name for it. If you love somebody, how can you not enjoy doing the little things to put a smile on their face and brighten their day? Hell, I do that for strangers!

+ Reply to Thread