+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rebel against "engagement rings".

Quote Originally Posted by brenna
    I personally don't want a big diamond when I get engaged. I think the massive ones are ugly. I plan to care a heck of a lot more about the man than any ring he's going to buy me.
    And three months salary????? That's absolutely ridiculous!!!!!
    Brenna, will you marry me?

All I can add to this debate is my own experience.
    My wife and I have simple gold bands. the only thing special in them is the inscription on the inside. On both is our wedding date, followed by my name in hers and her name on mine.

Its not the cost of the ring that matters. its the symbolism. If cost is what seems to matter, then maybe thats where the symbolism lies, money, not love.

just a thought.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Just read that Wired article, very cool and very exciting! I want to buy stock in those companies, wonder if it's available?

I love how diamonds look, but I hate the price and all the stories I've heard about DeBeers and the conflict diamonds. I would buy a synthetic or "cultured" diamond without a second thought! I also agree with some of the other posts here, other stones are just as pretty, I also love sapphires.
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

All I can add to this debate is my own experience.
    My wife and I have simple gold bands....
    Thank you all for the feedbacks, many good points and excellent suggestions.

I like pearls on a woman, but I'm not sure if it's suitable for an engagement ring. Gold is an excellent suggestion. Diamond could chip or shatter, but gold lasts for ever.

Now if I can only find Miss Right.
    Last edited by Bill747; 08-14-2003 at 12:53 AM.

I have a friend that has a beautiful pearl wedding ring, it has two small diamonds on either side, she loves it.
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Thank you all for the feedbacks, many good points and excellent suggestions.

I like pearls on a woman, but I'm not sure if it's suitable for an engagement ring. Gold is an excellent suggestion. Diamond could chip or shatter, but gold lasts for ever.

Now if I can only find Miss Right.
    FWIW, gold is a relatively soft metal. The more pure it is, the more easily it scratches.... My band is actually quite scratched, due to a lot of working with my hands (since i never take the band off)
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Ooh, Unklescott, my very first preposal!!!
    I'm flattered!!
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

FORT Fogey
    I just want the whole package, the commitment, the diamond and the ever after. I am sucker what can I say, I love diamonds. A tv, stereo will become obsolete. I like other stones too and realize many are more rare as well, like emeralds and colored diamonds. Diamonds just go well with every thing. I don't think it is shallow to like jewelry. We all have our likes and dislikes. Some it is electronics that cost much more than a diamond, or cars or airplanes, houses, horses, what ever. I like the tradition myself. And just like many other things I think it's fine to buy the best you can afford if it is what floats your boat. I am sure a lot of guys who don't give a rip about a diamond would spend over their budget to get the newest and latest TV screen, Computer what ever and they will all be out of date so quickly. At least with gems they don't go out, and you can easily have them re-set and mounted to become other pieces!

I have a huge 3k diamond ring from when I had my daughter and I love it. Since it was from my ex I don't wear it but I will probably have it made into a necklace or pass it on to my daughter. I stopped wearing it when I started seriously dating my boyfriend because I felt it bothered him some.

When my husband proposed to me, he did give me a diamond ring that he had bought without my knowledge.

In Norway, where I'm from, when a couple gets engaged, the girl wears a simple goldband around her ring finger, and that's her engagement & wedding ring, some don't even wear an engagement ring.

Needless to say, I wasn't expecting a diamond at all (even tho my husband is American) & I would've been happy with a piece of string around my finger, because to me it's the actual symbol of the ring itself that's important.

I won't say I don't like diamonds, I mean who doesn't, I just don't think a huge diamond is necessary, nor should it be expected for a guy to spend 3 months salary on it that's ridiculous...

My sister in law however, she's the totally opposite... she's been married for a year and has had her diamond UPGRADED 3 times already.. (and I thought it was huge initially...silly me!! )
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

I, like several other posters here, don't feel a particular affinity for diamond. However, I do want a ring. Call it vanity, call it whatever...but girls like pretty things, and... a plasma TV? Oh c'mon - at least go for something romantic, like a trip to the Fiji islands or a multi-destination romp through Europe.

For tracylee and firegirl - here's a diamond ring I quite like. It's a platinum, Art Deco-style, 1.26 carat diamond solitaire ring, w/ 8 additional little diamonds flanking the sides totalling 0.26 carat. Nicely detailed, yet simple enough to be elegant. At $5,000, it's a little too expensive for me, but not bad at all, considering.

Have I mentioned my love for star sapphire? This is a 5.7 carat star sapphire platinum ring accompagnied by two small diamonds. Very nice. I bet whoever's going to wear that is going to feel like a princess.

P.S. This is very bad of me, I know. I'm supposed to be rebelling against the establishment, but here I am, endorsing the frivolities which womankind enjoys...

Last edited by nausicaa; 08-14-2003 at 02:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread