+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: When to stop trick or treating?

I'd rather have high-school age students trick-or-treating at my house, too, rather than over at their friends' houses smoking the chronic, but I'll tell you one thing: If you're taller than me, you can go out and buy your own damn candy.

This thread has given me an idea, though: I'm going out in a few minutes to buy a bag of Tootsie Rolls, and any high school student who comes along gets a solitary one of those. They're getting something, but it's going to be a Pyrrhic victory because we all know a Tootsie Roll lasts all of two seconds.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

lol there ya go phat...cut off age should be when they can buy their own...classice working age. 15 LOL.

Y'all are so hard hearted! Did you stop getting a Christmas stocking when you turned 11? Did you stop getting an Easter Basket? Did the leprechauns stop peeing green pee in your toilet on St. Patrick's Day? (OK, we're a little weird here). Did you stop getting birthday presents or watching fireworks? If a kid still gets into the spirit with a costume and walks from door to door without vandalizing anything, why not give a little candy? Are you going to turn him away when he comes caroling at Christmas?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Y'all are so hard hearted! Did you stop getting a Christmas stocking when you turned 11? Did you stop getting an Easter Basket? Did the leprechauns stop peeing green pee in your toilet on St. Patrick's Day? (OK, we're a little weird here). Did you stop getting birthday presents or watching fireworks? If a kid still gets into the spirit with a costume and walks from door to door without vandalizing anything, why not give a little candy?
    I don't mind the polite ones in costume, even if they are 12, 13 or 14, but I do very much mind the ones like we had last night (my town is doing Halloween both nights so that the little ones won't have to go out on a Sunday ): the ones who burned skid marks through my neighborhood, riding around in a pick-up, and carried on loudly from house to house, smirking every time they came up to another door. They were more like 16, 17 or 18.

I'm not one of those people who shows up at school district meetings, beating my chest and yelling, But won't you think of the children?, but I do think that Halloween should be for children 12 and younger. If I didn't have to buy candy for children 13 and over, I could give more to the little ones.

So to the older ones, I say: Here's your Tootsie Roll. Enjoy it.

Are you going to turn him away when he comes caroling at Christmas?
    Probably what I do every year and burst out of my house and yell, "Bah! Humbug! Every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart!"

Although this year I'm hoping that John, LG. and Mantenna can visit me as the Ghosts of Christmases Past, Present and Future and save this miser's heart. (And, as you said, now we're getting weird.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I stopped going around when I was 15. By then I was at our new house for 3 Halloweens and knew who gave the good candy. I got the good stuff and stopped, the last few years have been fireworks and parties. This year I am just going to light off fireworks and be home early, I have to be up at 5am tomorrow morning

When I was 10, I went trick-or-treating with a friend and her younger sister, about 5. A group of teenage boys followed us around the neighborhood. Eventually they cornered us and took all our candy. My friend and I were annoyed and scared, but her little sister was terrified, then heartbroken to have lost the night's "work." That was over twenty years ago but it's one of my most vivid memories. I can't help but think of teenagers out on Halloween night as looking for trouble.

I hate to see a group of teens turn into a mob of vandalizers. We've had pumpkins smashed on occasion, and already this year someone TP'd the block.

I would much rather see them go to a party than troll for free candy. We turn off the lights as soon as all the neighbor kids we know have come by - usually by 7:00 or so.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

not all of them are like that tho...I wasnt...hell i game half mine away my last year of begging. I do think that teens like that should not be around...but what of the ones that just want to go out have fun acting like a kid again. For the reason you stated hep is the real reason the cop cars and firetrucks go out around the neiborhoods handing out candy, that and other people looking to take the kid not the candy.

Mmkay, after this year, I'm not going trick-or-treating ever again. Sure, it's nice to get loads of free candy, but I don't like walking around the neighborhood looking like a fool. I knew trusting my goth-punk friends to give me a Halloween makeover was a mistake. I'm 13, by the way.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Y'all are so hard hearted! Did you stop getting a Christmas stocking when you turned 11? Did you stop getting an Easter Basket? Did the leprechauns stop peeing green pee in your toilet on St. Patrick's Day? (OK, we're a little weird here). Did you stop getting birthday presents or watching fireworks? If a kid still gets into the spirit with a costume and walks from door to door without vandalizing anything, why not give a little candy? Are you going to turn him away when he comes caroling at Christmas?
    , Gutmutter. Your speech was just as inspirational as John Belushi's in Animal House.

I must say... if I followed phat's reasoning of not giving candy to anyone taller than me, there'd be quite a few 10 year olds out of luck. What can I say... I'm short!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

The last time I went trick or treating was my junior year in high school

I have no problem giving out candy to teens if they have dressed up and made an effort.

No costume no candy.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast