+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: How/Why did you choose your avatar?

Princess
    Not really, Unclescott - notice that the candles are firmly set in the crown (and of course, for kids they use battery driven ones). The only thing to worry about is the candle wax that falls down on the hair as you walk - and you know it's quite hot, so they often put a damp cloth at the top of the head to protect the scalp (and the poor Lucia spends some hours afterwards getting rid of the wax stuck in the rest of her hair).

Quote Originally Posted by HomerRules
    I loved the early seasons of The X-files. I've always wanted the poster hanging in Mulder's office.
    I've got it framed, Homer!

Sheela posted my av in the party, and Stargazer suggested it as an av, so I had to comply! Come over to the party; drinks are on me!
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Modesty, I love that picture. Do you have any with you?

There's a group of Swedish moms I interact with and they went to a St. Lucia thing at 7:00 in the morning. Is that typical?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Princess
    Thanks hepcat! No, I haven't been "Lucia" since I was like 12 (before digital cameras). And yes, it's traditionally an early morning thing (though, of course these days it lasts all day long).

Btw, there has been some scared Nobel prize winners during the years!
    Those who stay in Stockholm a couple of days after the Nobel festivities usually get a visit by the Lucia and her "company" early morning the 13:th, offering them coffee and traditional saffron buns and gingerbread thins.

FORT Fogey
    Hepcat, your av is ADORABLE!!!!

Thanks. I "borrowed" it from a cat lover's site. Do you think the cat is in the red suit or did they just stick his head through?

Modesty, I'd still be terrified of setting my head on fire. What if you tripped?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Princess
    Well, hepcat, I don't think tripping is an issue really (never heard of any such accidents).
    The only accidents I've ever heard of are by those who carry candles in their hands accidently burning someone in front of them (traditionally they walk in pairs of 2 behind the Lucia to wherever they are going).

(And as I said, with young kids (and more than often otherwise too) they don't use real candles in general; I really had to search a lot to find those pics with real candles.)

On a side note: tonight - the day before Lucia - is a major drinking party night here, and lots of people are going to end up in a bad place.

Modesty, that is such a pretty pic of Lucia.

Princess
    Thank you, eldee .

I just had to change to my patriotic Foghorn after the capture of Saddam.

+ Reply to Thread