+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Put on your thinking caps

Amanda, truth be told, when you finally get to do that really “cool” thing you’ve always wanted to do, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I’ve gotten paid very well to do creative work, (and still have a very creative job that people who have my same interests would love to have) but you know what? The grass is always, always greener. I love art, love creating art etc., but after a year long illustration gig I had at one point, I could not touch my paintbrush for a year. A…year. I didn’t even want any assignments; I was completely turned off to it. It seems that no matter what it is, if you have to do it, it takes all the fun out of it. (Currently, I’m pursuing astronomical wealth and the ownership of a small island chain…I really can’t see any pitfalls in that plan…)

And P.S. I know a lot of dolts with degrees, and a lot of brilliant people without degrees. In general, a degree to me only means you turned in your busywork every time you had to, by the deadline.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Great thread. Personally, I could not decide what I really wanted to study and chose wrong. Well, back to school now to study a different degree, something I really thought I would have hated to do for living 10 years ago. Sometimes I regret all that wasted time with my first field of studies, but I suppose I can make use of all those credits and gained knowledge some day in the future while pursuing my new interests. I try to think it the way that at least I am not retiring unhappy and bitter after doing something I would have not enjoyed for 30 years.

Great question! Good choice for a thread.

I was fortunate that my parents were willing to pay for 4 years of college after I graduated from high school. I got into computers some my senior year of high school (Apple IIe's at the time) and entered college with a declared major of Computer Science. After taking basic requirements my freshman year and not being able to get into any computer classes, I decided I had to find something less competitive. I looked through the catalog and settled on Zoology. Why? Well, Marine Biology required taking speech classes and Zoology didn't!
    So, I got out in 4 years, discovering my senior year that the local zoo requires a masters to get in, and I couldn't afford to go on to graduate school. So I joined the Peace Corps!
    Came back, worked at pet stores, then for a chiropractor, and then as a bilingual customer service representative at a health insurance company. They had a program going where each year, they held aptitude tests and interviewed people and took about 4 people into a program where they sent us back to school to learn computer programming. So, guess where I am today! I love programming, (Yes, I am a geek) and the pay's OK too.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Cool thread! I know I'm still a newbie, but I just had to comment, because I was feeling almost exactly the same this morning. My difference was I just shelled out the money for LSAT's this am. Not that it makes much sense to just say that, so here's my story:

I went to University and got not one, but two degrees. When I entered college at the tender age of 18, I thought I knew just what I wanted...I even had the five and ten year plan down (not specifics, there was some flexibility)......But guess what? Life happens (has anyone else heard that song...it's so cool!!!)!! And I had one of those moments of time where everything that could go wrong did....and I did not handle the sudden upheaval well at all.....but I stayed with school, because I needed something to do, and I still hoped to somehow salvage my life plans. I graduated, was no longer under the self-impression of setting the world on fire, did not find a job in "my sector" (Music Business Management) within my set time period....panicked and took a full time job with the company I had worked with throughout school (retail sales). I had loved it part-time....hated it full time. Lots of respect for those that do it, but it was not what I saw myself doing for the rest of my life. Since then I have taught school, worked non-profit arts, mortgage originations, gone back to retail briefly, and now sell tickets at a Children's Theatrical production. (which will most likely be closing soon and puts me back in the search) Of all that I've dabbled in my absolute favorite was the non-profit arts and the current theatre job. Both because I felt like I was doing something I enjoyed, working with projects I believed in.

Law school was in my plans at first, and now that I'm facing another dead end, I've been heavily contemplating it. I've done the background research, even took a LSAT Field Test, and am now registered to take the LSAT's in October. I've been out of college a few years (obviously) and am the Queen of Self-Doubtful moments still. Am I smart enough? Can I afford this? Can I handle the work load? etc. etc. etc.

I've polled friends, family, co-workers, (and now strangers) and most of them say that if I can afford it and feel I can do it to go for it....In the end though, it comes back down to, What do I want? (and trust me, that's not something I ask myself a whole lot) Is this what I want to do? Is this going to do it for me? Once I take this step, where do I go from there?

There's the saga of WC in a nutshell.....

Don't worry about the cookie...

One word of LSAT advice: Time yourself when you're studying. I didn't do this, and I could SWEAR that on test day, the laws of physics were thrown out the window, and time sped up. You'll be shocked at how little time it seems you have for each section.

I'm so glad everyone's telling their stories in here. I've found this whole thing really interesting.

Thanks for the advice.....that's why I signed up for the Field test....it's set up just like the regular LSAT's..(minus the writing sample), timed and all, but they were "testing" a new format (listening comprehension along with reading comprehension)....

And when I did the prep for that (I tried to take it semi-seriously as it was goin to give me an idea how I'd do on the real run) I timed myself on the sample tests in my review books....

I'm not good on standardized tests (I'm not good on sitting still in a chair for four hours period, let alone make me take a test), so I tried to make the trial runs as smiliar to the "real deal" as I can...

You know, with all my writing, I probably didn't come to what I am trying to do to to solve a similar problem . I think that finding a career that you enjoy / are passionate about is important. Since I am still working on that, something with variety and where each day presents new challenges helps also. Most of my friends from school were in business or engineering and make quite a bit of money, but they also work up to 80 hours a week dealing with numbers and aren't happy with their jobs. I really wouldn't trade places with them.

Another thing I am trying to do is to be proactive with my searching. I really don't feel comfortable that "something is going to happen", I have to make it happen. Much of the rut that I am in has come from a lack of decisive decisions, so I am trying different approaches. I am amazed by how many interests I have and how I can use these to figure something out, although I am about to kill my guidance counselors because of the lack of info. they gave me .
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

I was 2 years into graduate school when it hit me that I did not want to ever be an academic, or get a job in government which is where I was headed. I ended up working my way up the food chain in big companies, starting as a clerk (not even a secretary) and up to supervising a small department. I found that everything that I really enjoy didn't really translate into a career - painting, writing, music, etc. - but I was happiest at a medium level job (not supervising people!) where I could finish my projects and go home at the end of the day and not be expected to work 80 hours a week. I took all supervisory experience off my resume and changed jobs, and found a really great job like this I enjoyed for about 3 years.

Then I got pregnant and decided to stay home with baby, and devote more time to painting & writing. That's what I've been doing for 3 years, and it is sooo great and I'm really grateful I'm able to be with my child and still do stuff I enjoy and I'm good at.

People have encouraged me to go into illustration or whatever but I really think that would ruin it (like Shazzer talked about above).

Sometimes I wish I was in an office with A/C and chatting over the coffee pot when I've had a bad day, but the good days outnumber the bad. And I discovered mom's clubs are funner for chatting.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Leo
    Premium Member
    Just to put my two cents about going/not going to college: not going never entered my mind. It's probably an economic thing as anything else: you're not going anywhere here if you don't have at least some college time.

I love what I do, it rocks. You can live vicariously through me if you want.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast