+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Put on your thinking caps

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    dobolina,

I understand your point completely. College should be used to pursue a goal. Otherwise it is a waste of time and money. It worked out great for me but I know many people that became successful without college, and probably wouldn't have been successful if they went to college.

I've always thought that it really stinks that 17-18 year old kids have to make decisions that could/will shape the rest of their lives. We're too young at that age to know what we want to do.

And, yes, I enjoyed math and physics and science all my life. It's okay, I'll wait until you stop laughing...............

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I don't feel so bad now. I'm close to 30 myself and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy
    And, yes, I enjoyed math and physics and science all my life. It's okay, I'll wait until you stop laughing...............
    I dont know why I would be laughing....but Ok... Done! I have always been pretty good at math and science(not physics though, just not my cup o tea)--I actually slept through geometry in HS, and still got the highest grade in my class....and a negative comment from the teacher on my report card. Funny conversation with my mom "Why does it say that you dont apply yourself...you are in trouble for that young man" "Mom, I got the highest grade in my class...I aced all the tests, I can tell you all the theorums...whats the big deal??"

Anyway, I might have always been good at math, but it wasnt what I wanted to do. I went to college for what I wanted to do--something in finance or small business. And I have done that in the real world. I just think I would be better off right now if, instead of spending a bunch of money on college for a, basically, fluff degree, I had invested that money wisely while I worked those 4 years and increased my personal bottom line.

I guess the bottom line here is that you gotta do what you like, and what you are good at. If that is being a doctor, great, an engineer, awesome, a deli manager, totally sweet! Every job provides a benefit to society. Well, except for Carrot Top and his ad's for 1-800-CALL ATT...but thats an entirely different thread!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Yep. Be happy. Enjoy life. Depending on your beliefs, you only get one!

Oh, about the math comment. Most of the people I know laugh when I say I like math, but I guess you're one of us.

For what it's worth, I'm "one of you" as well. I've always said that if I won the lottery, I'd go back to school and get a doctorate in astrophysics. I'm 100% serious.

One of the reasons I'm thinking about going back is because my undergrad degree (in biology) is very limiting. It doesn't translate well into too many other areas, and unless I wanted to go back and do graduate work in the field, I can't go very far with it. In addition, having already spent my entire working life doing research, I know that going for my PhD is NOT going to happen. I'd be surprised if any of you can name a more boring job than mine. That's actually why I started this thread. I wanted one of you to say "I do (insert occupation here), and it ROCKS!" Then I'd copy you. I'm a sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    I'd be surprised if any of you can name a more boring job than mine. That's actually why I started this thread. I wanted one of you to say "I do (insert occupation here), and it ROCKS!" Then I'd copy you. I'm a sheep.
    Ahh yes, living vicariously thru our jobs

Chris

Amanda, the grass is always greener...People may be satisfied with their jobs, but in the end, they're jobs, and very few people love them, or even if they love them, wouldn't trade them in a heartbeat for a chance to do something "better".

I'm very good at what I do - it's an extremely niche segment of IT work, and there are MAYBE 500 people in the country who do what I do, either full-time or as a consultant. I would rank myself as one of the top 10 somewhere, but that's simply because I've been in the right place at the right time to gain some unique experience.

That said, every company I work with is completely different, and some of them are complete new learning opportunities. So, I have the chance to look like an idiot several times a year, but I can blame it on the fact that what I do is so broad, and loosely defined, that everyone does the same thing different.

I'd still give it up in a heartbeat if I could survive some other way, or if my wife would agree that cruising the world on a 42' sailboat was a good thing. And I'm serious about that.

I'm sure you're right, John. I kept waiting for inspiration to strike; for my "calling" to start calling me. I was surprised when it never happened. I was even more surprised to find out that it never happens to most people. The ideas we get in our heads as kids about how "together" grownups are are tough to get rid of. Having to balance real-life needs in terms of paying the bills with our romanticized ideals isn't easy. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to find something biology related (as long as it isn't research), because, frankly, I don't want to start over from scratch. It's fun to dream, though.

And btw, sailing the world sounds amazing. You should buy some subliminal message tapes for your wife and play them while she sleeps. That would be a perfect life.

Amanda, I think it's funny. When I first got an office job (from the manufacturing floor), I thought "I have no idea how an "office person" is supposed to act, I've never been to college...pretty soon, they're going to figure this out and send me back where I came from."

But then after a while, I began to realize that no one really has a clue, but we all like to pretend we do, but I'm not sure exactly why.

When I noticed my job becoming so boring that I was going through the same old motions but not really caring about it any more, that's when I made the change. But I think some people secretly like going through the motions, I'm just not one of those people.

I'd rather flip burgers for minimum wage and love it, than sit behind a desk all day doing something I hate for good money. For me, it's not about the "work" or the "money", it's about liking what I spend my life doing. And I guess that's why I keep changing things up.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Amanda, I think it's funny. When I first got an office job (from the manufacturing floor), I thought "I have no idea how an "office person" is supposed to act, I've never been to college...pretty soon, they're going to figure this out and send me back where I came from."

But then after a while, I began to realize that no one really has a clue, but we all like to pretend we do, but I'm not sure exactly why.

When I noticed my job becoming so boring that I was going through the same old motions but not really caring about it any more, that's when I made the change. But I think some people secretly like going through the motions, I'm just not one of those people.

I'd rather flip burgers for minimum wage and love it, than sit behind a desk all day doing something I hate for good money. For me, it's not about the "work" or the "money", it's about liking what I spend my life doing. And I guess that's why I keep changing things up.
    I've always said that as well. About two years ago I was disgruntled with my current job and began looking for another one. I did find a promising offer and agreed to do an interview for the position. When I got there and really started listening to what they were telling me what would be expected of me, the more I began to appreciate my current job. So really, all that experience told me was that I've already got a good thing going. It changed my whole attitude towards this job and now when I have a bad day I just think how it could be if I had taken that other job.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast