+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's good for you ...

It's good for you ...

When I was growing up, my mother had a singular obsession with spinach. Which I despised. There wasn't much I could do about it as a kid, but I swore I would never touch spinach as an adult. And I didn't. Till I married ole Popeye himself. Now it's on our table at least twice a week. I learned to tolerate spinach and eventually grew to love it.

So, what hated food did your parents force you to eat? And do you eat it now?

I felt the same about spinach and broccoli. I never even tried the small brussel sprouts until a few months ago. My friend told me to try it, so I tried once, then 6 more. Now, all 3 are my favorite!

Peas,green peppers,brussel sprouts and mushrooms.I love them all now except I still haven't warmed up to mushrooms.
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Green beans, yuck. Broccoli, yuck. Asparagus, yuck. Okra, yuck. Brussel sprouts... if I was meant to eat grass I would have been born a cow (hopefully in India since no one would make a steak out of me).

I didn't eat that crap as a kid, so there's no way I'd eat them now.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Its going to take a while to make me like onion, bacon, broccolli, brussel sprouts, and mushrooms

I was that one weird kid who really loved my veggies, so my parents were good about not serving me the few that I disliked. Brussel sprouts and broccoli have always been two of my favorites. The only ones I don't like are the "mealy" beans (lima, kidney, etc.) and asparagus. I hate asparagus with every fiber of my being. Probably every fiber of your being, too.

My mother never really forced us to eat anything.... but she wasn't much of a cook.

What did end up happening was we took after her dislikes. I don't like green peppers or onions and my sister and I don't drink coffee - just like my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    I was that one weird kid who really loved my veggies, so my parents were good about not serving me the few that I disliked. Brussel sprouts and broccoli have always been two of my favorites. The only ones I don't like are the "mealy" beans (lima, kidney, etc.) and asparagus. I hate asparagus with every fiber of my being. Probably every fiber of your being, too.
    Lucky! I never liked too many veggies (outside of corn on the cob) until I became an adult. I was constantly being force-fed cooked carrots in combo with other veggies (I can't stand cooked carrots, can't stand them can't stand them can't stand them ). The story was, "for great eyesight". Still can't stand green peppers; we used to have stuffed ones all...the...time.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode in which Newman chokes down cooked broccoli in order to convince Jerry that Kramer isn't eating at Kenny's Roasters. He pours it down...and then spits it out violently, screaming, "Vile...WEED!" I scream this whenever I see asparagus. *shudders* Chewy, nasty, "vile weed".
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Asparagus is a lovely vegetable, Shazzer. I blanch the shoots a bit, then mix them with a dressing made out of soy sauce, sesame seed oil, minced garlic, and a bit of black bean. Yum. Or you can try it w/ a Bernaise sauce.

Maybe the reason you haven't find a hankering for it is because the shoots you buy are too old/too big/too tough?

As for green peppers - yeah, I don't like them, neither. I much prefer the extremely hot banana (Hungarian?) peppers. I roast them with onions, soysauce, ginger, Sichuanese chili paste, peppercorn. My favourite!

My personal "good for you..." veggie was spinach. Oh, was it ever the bane of my existance! Now I can't get enough of it - I put it in everything: soup, lasagna, salads, you name it. It figure it was my mother fault that I didn't like it during childhood - she must have been cooking it the "wrong" way all along.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 08-11-2003 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Asparagus is a lovely vegetable, Shazzer. I blanch the shoots a bit, then mix them with a dressing made out of soy sauce, sesame seed oil, minced garlic, and a bit of black bean. Yum. Or you can try it w/ a Bernaise sauce
    You're a girl after my own heart. This is the only way I eat veggies (cooked) now, i.e. with a soy dressing of some sort, i.e. stir fry. I can eat raw veggies 'til the cows come home, but cooked? Only like this.

You're right, I must've had tough, fibrous "branches" of asparagus only. Can't say I "luuuuvvv" the flavor, though.

Naus...why aren't you posting these tasty recipes in the "your famous recipes" thread???? Yum! Didn't I once see you post a bevy of deliciousness in a thread about what kind of goodies your mom used to make? Pass on the luv!!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast