+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's good for you ...

I was another veggie lovin kid with just a couple of exceptions. Spinach, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts NO PROBLEM!! Love them all!! The only ones I totally dislike are any sort of bell peppers, I guess like Miss F said tho, my mother didn't like or eat them and I just sort of followed suit. I can stomach peas and lima beans if I MUST, but those are also on the bottom of the veggie ladder for me.

my parents never made me eat anything... very laissez-faire for my conservative, roman catholic family (they were strict with manners and proper attire and posture-- but never ideas or debate or politics or anything else...well, my dad said he would disown me if I became a lawyer and my mom would die if i became an actress or wanted, worse yet, to become a "perpetual student"-- in my parent's mind "perpetual students" or philosophy majors are the biggest loafers of all! LOL)... with food, my mom always said, "if you don't want to eat it, there's probably a good reason")
    She was a believer in the idea that your body tells you what it needs...even if it is a thousand scoops of butter pecan ice cream (just kidding).

she likes real butter and cream and fresh veggies and fruit-- and i like nearly everything. so we never had a problem.

except raw, fresh tomatoes and peppercorn (i don't mind the cheapie diner pepper shaker pepper)...my mom loves both and is convinced that if she sticks one or the other or both on my food without asking, it will naturally follow that i, too, will love them...GRR.

However, i no longer live at home...and i sort of miss peeling tomatoes off of my sandwiches and scraping the peppercorn kernels off of my food.

Shazzer - you know how I learned to cook? Every summer until I was 18, my mother would force me to take a "one-on-one, intensive cooking course" for two weeks (she was the instructor, and the premise was our kitchen) - under the assumption that such skills would come handy in college, where she's afraid I'll become bloated with horrible-tasting, cholesteral-laden Occidental food. No recipes (she sniffed at Western meticulousness in cooking), no gloves ("What? You're afraid of a little hot oil splattering? Bah!"), just plenty of "tough love". As a result, I cook by instinct, not by recipes, and so the best I can offer are suggestions/general guidelines. If, in the future, one of the FORTers really wants to know the secret to an authentic Chinese dish or a dessert cake (did I mention my mother works in a bakery? Contradictory because baking is an exact science), I'd be happy to contact her and see what she can come up with.

I think the secret to liking those "detested" veggies is to cook them the right way. A lot of people don't seem to like asparagus, which is a pity -because asparagus has one of the best, most subtle flavours of all vegetables. When the shoots are young (i.e. when they're firm and you can see a ring of green around the inner white), they become crisp and tender once cooked. You don't want to blanch them for too long, though, or they become disgusting.

I can't imagine anyone not liking mushrooms. Button mushrooms go great with meat (especially red meat, because they impart a more lasting flavour) or stir-fried veggies, and of course in pasta sauce. Oyster mushrooms are a meal unto themselves. Shiitake can be marinaded with tofu or sauteed with butter (not recc'ed for those on a diet!), and regular Chinese mushrooms can be stir-fried with bean curd sheets after soaking. And of course, there's golden string mushrooms, which are to die for in casseroles.

Green bell peppers are pretty yukky, usually. I find the best way is to stir-fry them with beef or pork, and let them cook long enough in the juices so they don't taste so green. Here's a tip: try adding bits of bamboo shoots in with the stir-fry - they absorb flavours better than peppers and will balance them out.

Green beans *must*, must be stir-fried quickly, with little oil, under hot fire. This takes skill (because they might easily burn), but they'll taste so much better once you get the hang of it. Mix in bacon bits (remember those?) and sesame oil after the beans are taken of the wok.

Okra tastes best stewed with tomatoes. Or you can cook them in gumbo, with a roux. Or you can do a Portuguese ragout (I think) with them, replete with zucchini, egglants, tomatoes, and beef.

I really, really like whole shallots and other small onions in a veggie salad heated on the grill. Once the shallots become cooked, they burst into flavour when you bite down on them.

Spinach can be sauteed with ginger and black bean sauce, stir-fried with snow peas, tofu, and Chinese cabbage, or cooked in a soup with butter, lots of onions, cooked rice, and a chili-vinegar sauce. There are so many different ways to make spinach. However, I like them best when they're in M'Chicha - an East African dish - that consists on chopped spinach (you can buy this frozen), chopped peanuts, and grated coconut sauteed with butter in a saucepan. YUM!!

One word of advice for those into stir-frying veggies. Make sure the fire is as hot as possible before dumping in your ingredients. I mean it -they really taste best cooked that way. Don't be afraid of a little splattering - I learned that the hard way.

P.S. For granaire02 - sprinkle raw, slice tomatoes with granulated sugar. Leave them in the fridge for a while. The sugar will force the juice in the tomatoes to come out (osmosis, y'know), and what you'll get is a very healthy, sweet-tasting dessert. Who knows - you might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    Its going to take a while to make me like onion, bacon, broccolli, brussel sprouts, and mushrooms
    You dont like BACON, Cash???????? I find that incredible! You could go on Ripley's Believe it or Not with that one!!

I was never a huge veggie eater as a kid. I hated broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, green beans, spinach. But now that I am older, I love it all. (I have always liked mushrooms...sauteed in butter...mmmmmm)Not that I eat them all that often, but, yum!

I guess what happened was I started eating all of those with creamy sauces....cheese sauce on broccoli, hollandaise(bernaise?) sauce on asparagus, and spinach on pizza. Then I just started to like them all plain. I steam asparagus with olive oil, then serve it salted with a little more oil and sometimes lemon juice. Yum! Spinach on pizza with garlic and Sausage....its good in Chicago, at least, because they typically cook the spinach before topping the pizza. And broccoli is just good! I make a killer chicken divan....chicken, broccoli, creamy sauce, and cheese. Oh god, I have to eat something soon!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Shazzer - you know how I learned to cook? Every summer until I was 18, my mother would force me to take a "one-on-one, intensive cooking course" for two weeks (she was the instructor, and the premise was our kitchen) - under the assumption that such skills would come handy in college, where she's afraid I'll become bloated with horrible-tasting, cholesteral-laden Occidental food. No recipes (she sniffed at Western meticulousness in cooking), no gloves ("What? You're afraid of a little hot oil splattering? Bah!"), just plenty of "tough love". As a result, I cook by instinct, not by recipes, and so the best I can offer are suggestions/general guidelines. etc. etc...........
    Just have to comment on this lovely post. Oooooooo...makes me hungry for veggies. Good job, Naus. Are you going for the James Beard alongside the Poe? (And yes, now I remember your mom and the bakery, that's where I think I had the notion that you knew your way around a spatula )
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fogey
    I am the single pickiest person I know, but what are you gonna do about it? One of the only thingss that I REFUSSSSSSSSEEEEEE to eat is tomatoes. I dont like baby tomatoes, ketchup, spaghetti sauce, and I even peel back the cheese on my pizza and wipe off as much of the pizza sauce as I can. Yeah and then I don't like beans, peas, cauliflower, squash, cucumbers... OH and I don't eat salads either... Many people are surprised by this.

Things other than vegetables I don't eat are.... mexican food i.e. tacos, burritos(sorry, I just don't like it spicy. and I dont like refried beans), clams or mussels, indian food, ummmm I'm having a brain fart but theres more.

And don't think that I'm all fat and unhealthy due to a lack of healthy eating, but I eat carrots, and broccoli and corn and artichokes for my vegetables. Although, when I go to Fresh Choice, my friends all have nice colorful plates and I usually skip the salad bar thing and go get some mac and cheese. They make fun of me for that. They say I could never survive the Atkins Diet. and they're probably right.

Good question! When I was younger my Mom forced me to eat overcooked, mushy, canned mixed vegetables. I had to sit at the table until they were all done, no matter how long it took. I discovered if I opened up the window in the kitchen, I could throw them out the window and they would land behind the bushes. This worked until my Dad trimmed the bushes one day and noticed a HUGE pile of dried mixed vegetables. Needless to say, I was forced to actually eat mixed vegetables from then on. And no, I don't eat them now.

[QUOTE=ohiomobprincess]...This worked until my Dad trimmed the bushes one day and noticed a HUGE pile of dried mixed vegetables. QUOTE]

Man, that cracked me up!

I had a system too - I stuffed those awful carrot&peas mixes into my pants pockets, then carefully unloaded them in the bathroom by flushing them down the toilet. Until one day, I forgot to do it and my mom found my pockets full of veggies in the laundry...boy, she was mad and grossed out!

Love most veggies now. I LOVE asparagus drizzled with olive oil & salt then fried in a pan. Simple and delicious! Also like edame - soy beans, and I know I wouldn't have eaten those as a kid.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Okra...

And, no I still won't touch the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    Okra...

And, no I still won't touch the stuff.
    What about in gumbo? It just wouldn't be file gumbo without the okra. Although I will say any time I've tried to buy okra here in CA it's been tasteless.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast