+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, does this sound like a scam?

Help, does this sound like a scam?

I don't know if this is an internet scam or not. Recently, I started getting emails addressed to "Stephanie Hazzard" (not my name) but at my email address, mostly from credit card companies thanking "Stephanie" for visiting their site.

My first thought was to reply and say, hey, there's no one here by that name...but I also remember hearing somewhere that you should never reply to these things because that activates something that allows them to get into your stuff. (?)

I'm not that computer-savvy, if you couldn't tell. Has anyone else seen this or do you know what to do?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    It sounds like absolute spam. All I can tell you is to just delete and and empty your trash bin because it will get it out of your email box. Make sense? That's what I do.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Yep, anything from an address I don't recognize I automatically delete. I downloaded a virus one time and didn't know it until my computer started having weird problems. It took me a few weeks to figure out that that's what it was. Then I had to download a fix for it.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Unless there's an attachment that they want you to download/open, it's just spam.

I'm sure you know, obviously, not to open any attachments from anyone you don't know or trust. If all this is is a message saying "thanks for checking out our site, please click here for more info", it's just garden-variety marketing crap.

(The above info comes courtesy of an information security pro, so I'd trust it. I personally don't know bupkes about this stuff, but he does, so...)

Leo
    Premium Member
    Those e-mails sound suspicious. Trust your instincts - and they're telling you it's a scam.

Try telling your ISP about it, they might be able to do something.

I would think that it's a scam. Or maybe it's just spam. You are right about never replying to these. Simply delete them or block them.

Thanks everyone - I got numerous replies that this was most likely spam, not someone trying to get a credit card in my name. Pretty effective - I almost replied because I was so angry!

I HATE SPAM! I know everyone does, but GRRR!

SPAM, the delicious luncheon meat. Good for all occasions. Lasts for years and years. You can will it to your grandkids!

Sing along with Monty Python:

"spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam"

Foggy Doggy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast