+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Bugs me/Couldn't care less

fluff,
    I love to tip a good waitress. I guess because I waitressed for a while and it is a gift I do not posses. When I waitressed; pay was $2.10 an hour plus tips. Man, no one could live on that. I was greatful for any tip I got. Be proud to tip your wait person when they do a great job. It really does show your appreciation in a way that really hits home.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

It bugs me that waitpeople are supposed to live on what they make. I agree tipping sucks, but if they got paid what they were worth, we wouldn't have to!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

SOooooo true Cali!

That would solve alot.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I don't tip the grocery clerk that packs my bag or the Walmart girl that rings through my purchases so why am I expected to tip someone who brings me food?
    I don't see the distinction.

The problem does rest with the restaurant owners who don't pay enough, but people enable them to do that by tipping as they know the staff will be able to make a decent amount through tips.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Princess
    It bugs me that waitpeople are supposed to live on what they make. I agree tipping sucks, but if they got paid what they were worth, we wouldn't have to!
    Couldn't agree more! It's such an old fashioned custome. Ppl should be able to live on their salary and not be dependent on tipping.

PKeeper
    Oh boy. This could be a entirely seperate thread.

I agree with Fluff on the begrudging 10% max. I guess I've seen viewpoints on this be heavily influenced by one's past vocations.

As far as RM's paying their waitresses more, it would result in higher menu prices thus forcing us all to pay whether we want to or not.

Good topic.

That's very true Pkeeper.
    "That's Numberwang!"

i waited tables for a while. hardest job i ever had physically. $2.13 an hour unless i was training a new waitperson. then i had $5.00 an hour plus tips.

when i find a waitperson to be really good, i tip them really good. often more than 20%. if they are good, i give 20%, if average... 15%, if not terrible but below average 10%. if i have a waitperson not worth 10%, i'm inclined to talk to a manager. having been a waitperson, i tip well, but i also expect the kind of service i pay for. i know it's hard, but there are ways to work it so no customer ever gets bad service.

and feif.... grrrrrrrrrrr on the waitress that trashed the card.

Princess
    As far as RM's paying their waitresses more, it would result in higher menu prices thus forcing us all to pay whether we want to or not.
    In Sweden the tip is nowadays included in the price - and it's still less expensive to eat out there than here. The reason, I assume, is that the owners make less profit, as there is a limit to what ppl are willing to pay to eat out.
    To me it just doesn't seem right that a waiter/waitress who has a bad day will risk not being able to put food on the table for the family...

Some restaurants will automatically add the tip in for parties of 5 or more. This happened to us at the beach, but no-one told us, so we tipped anyway… giving 15% of the total, which of course already had the tip in there! Yes, we should have looked at the bill more closely, but it irked me just the same.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread