+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Bugs me/Couldn't care less

Being a pretty bad waitress; all I needed was for someone to say "birthday" and get me off track. I had a hard enough time just keeping up with my tables. I worked at the olive garden and we had the heaviest plates on huge trays. Imagine ten servers singing happy birthday and knocking your try clear off your hand as you pass by. Pasta and sauce flying everywhere. Not pretty!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I would have to say that people who DONT tip, bug me..its part of the package...you go out to dinner, you get waited on...you tip.
    I don't agree.

I get waited on when I go fabric shopping for my work but I don't tip them.

Why am I expected to still tip if I go for a buffet meal then?

I don't mind tipping, but I resent the assumption that I will tip no matter what the level of service I receive is like.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Princess
    I with you there, fluff. The way I'm "dealing" with it is that I know that certain jobs don't pay even minimum wages, and as Wayner said, they still have to pay taxes for the assumed tip, so I've just tried to learn which those jobs are and tip accordingly - even though I resent it.

So, just for future reference, Miss F, did that work?!?
    Uh, no. Although I am single, maybe I should look him up.

I think it was in the context.. we're talking about my dead grandfather or something and he's suggesting we go off naked. If he was joking he might have gotten a laugh.. but he was dead serious. Pardon the pun.

Back to servers.. I waitressed for years. It was tough work except Sundays which was buffet day. I hate that servers are allowed to be paid less than minimum wage, (at least in Ontario) and that they are expected to live off their tips. With that said, I'm a generous tipper.. yet I am the harshest critic of bad service.

Feif and Sher.. that server that threw out the comment card? Un-flipping-believable.

As far as Buffets, I tip a bit less.. but a server who busts their butt clearing your plates and making sure you always have a drink deserves something. That's how I judge a good server.. one who never lets you get thirsty. Nothing is worse than looking around desperately for a glass of water.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Princess
    Nothing is worse than looking around desperately for a glass of water.
    I practically never drink water with my food if I have ordered something else to drink. One of the things that really bugs me is when I haven't even touched the water, and they come to the table and "top it off". I was at a place, and my friend who I was with drank his water, and I didn't drink at all, but the waiter kept on filling my glass every time she filled his until my glass was overflowing on the table!

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I don't mind tipping, but I resent the assumption that I will tip no matter what the level of service I receive is like.
    I don't think you should tip for bad service. Like a few of the folks here that have waited tables, we're probably the harshest critics - because we know the job, and we know when a server is making a lame excuse about the kitchen, etc. If the service is bad, I not only tip but sometimes ask to speak to the manager. If the service is great, I tip great, and sometimes ask to speak to the manager - just for different reasons.

Originally posted by Wayner
    That sounds suspiciously like a "Chili's" gig to me, Sher. Am I right?
    close, wayner, very close....
    i worked at grady's when it was owned by brinker (owner of chili's, on the border, macaroni grill, etc.) i also did nightly cash out for the restaurant, which also paid $5.00 an hour. sucked b/c i was always a closer and then doing cash out i often wouldn't get outta there till 1 in the morning. also bad b/c i was the one that had to look for waitstaff adding numbers on the credit card receipt that weren't there. you know, adding a 1 in front of the 4 dollar tip in order to get a 14 dollar tip. got a couple of thieves fired, but sucky thing to do. waitstaffs are really close knit. it's a really incestuous kinda family!

Having worked 3 years of high school and my first year of college as a waitress (I quit recently), I appreciate tips of course. So, tipping at reastaurants is something I will always do, unless the service is absolutely AWFUL.

This bugs me but proby more so since I live in hellay. People who walk outside and start chatting on their damn cell phones. And the ones who leave them on at movie theatres, restaurants, churches, meetings, everywhere. This people are pathetic!!!! They feel the need to be needed by answering their cell phones the minute it rings. And nothing bugs me more than being in the middle of a restaurant and some twit is yapping on their phone and their volume level is within maximum ear decibel and listening to their mindless conversations about what needs to be picked up from the grocery store!
    You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty.

I don't own a cell phone
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread