+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Bugs me/Couldn't care less

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    A few more comments on the whole tipping thing. When I was a waiter, the law was that you were supposed to declare all your tips as taxable income. Nobody actually did that, but you'd get taxed on 8% of your gross sales even if you declared less. So, if I waited on someone for an hour at $2.35 an hour, and their check was $100, and they stiffed me, the feds would tax me as if I'd made $10.35 (my wage plus the $8 minimum they assumed I'd been tipped.) If the tax rate was 15%, that means that the feds took $1.55 from me. So, for that hour, I made a whopping $.80.

That's just an example. Here's a real-world situation. Because my wages were so low, after I declared tip income, I once got a paycheck of $4.60 for 60 hours of work.

The way I see it, tipping is part of the price of my meal. Unless of course, the service stinks.

And Cali, many of the restaurants I worked at included a 15% tip in the meal for parties of 8 or more. When I brought the check, I would always let the folks know the restaurant's policy, and tell them that if that wasn't okay, I could remove it. Folks usually said it wasn't a problem, and would usually throw in a few more bucks. Of course, I paid my way through college waiting tables, so I must not have been TOO bad.

The only time I waited tables without tips was doing baquet work at the San Francisco Airport Marriot. Tips were not included, but we made $13.00 an hour!

Queen of all boards
    I would have to say that people who DONT tip, bug me..its part of the package...you go out to dinner, you get waited on...you tip.
    Life is a game, play hard.

Surfer, I couldn't agree more.

And there's no better example of the fact that I'm too damned verbose than the comparison between our two posts above.

Queen of all boards
    LOL, i was simply agreeing wayner...didnt want to cut and paste your whole post, so I kept it simple.
    Life is a game, play hard.

Another thing that bugs me: kids that don't thank you for their candy on Halloween.

But I LOVE the parents that make sure their youngsters say thank you.

Princess
    Another thing that bugs me: kids that don't thank you for their candy on Halloween.
    Yep. Actually, rude kids bugs me in general.
    I could change that to: Rude ppl bugs me.

i waited tables for a while. hardest job i ever had physically. $2.13 an hour unless i was training a new waitperson. then i had $5.00 an hour plus tips.
    That sounds suspiciously like a "Chili's" gig to me, Sher. Am I right?

Chili's...

That reminds me of another bug.

What about those silly birthday songs that every major chain restaurant has? It's gotta be annoying for the poor wait staff to sing them too isn't it?
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

What about those silly birthday songs that every major chain restaurant has? It's gotta be annoying for the poor wait staff to sing them too isn't it?
    You have NO idea! The exception would be a place I worked just outside of San Francisco. We had a lot of folks that were on the "artsy" side, and a good portion of the staff loved to sing. It was frightening.

My daughter in law worked in a restaurant with a Texas atmosphere. All the waitresses were dressed up like Dale Evans in cowgirl skirts, western hats and cowgirl boots. They had to sing to the customers "happy birthday" and do a little western square dance thing by the table. One day, one of the waitresses slipped while she was doing the little square dance thing. Needless to say, she broke her leg, sued her manager and the owner of the restaurant and the waitresses were barred from doing the happy birthday square dance ever again. True story. Now can I be in the show?

+ Reply to Thread