+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Phrases from Home

Interesting Phrases from Home

Is there something that you say at home that would sound wacky anywhere else?

At our house, we once threw a piece of cheese to get the dog to go into the office so we could exit the house without him running out the front door. Since then, we just fling air and say "get the cheese" and he goes in every time. So we call it "cheesing the dog" or "putting the dog in the cheese". Would that not make you raise an eyebrow if you overheard it in someone's conversation?

What wackiness goes on at your house?

we have a slew of words and phrases. they are mostly weird things my bf brought to the table, but they've stuck:

1. jank - it's a catch all really.
    2. sh*ts - another catch all, but not used in the way you might think as in, "those little sh*ts!"
    3. ten (aka "10") - means it's ten times as much as normal... in fact, it can be increased according to the level of intensity, but must be kept in increments of ten.

here's an example of a sentence using all three. upon seeing a decked out hoopdee of a car, you know, lowered with metallic paint and curb feelers, you can say, "pull up next to that jank so i can see them sh*ts! wow! that's ugly 10!"

Sher

I can't think of one that fits well here, but I do have one that makes me laugh....
    Once at a restaurant my daughters silverware was missing, so she said, in a rather loud voice "Where's my Fork-n-Knife"?

So now to laugh we just say "That forkin' knife"

Well, maybe you had to be there
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Nope. You didn' t have to be there.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

still funny, cali!

agentcarver
    The music department has our own word:

"Fnord".

It's where the socks that disapear out of the dryer go. It's what will happen if the trumpet players forget to clean out their spit valves. It's "ours" and we like it.

"Fnord" is a catch-all word from the Illuminatus trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. I believe it's meant to encompass those things that happen for no apparent reason but are actually the result of some secret force pulling the strings.

We use lots of phrases from movies. One of my faves is "Scoop of chocolate, scoop of vanilla". It's from City Slickers, and we use it whenever the question posed is so trivial to answer it requires no mental energy whatsoever.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

When my niece was around two, she would say "hommie" for icecream. Instead of correcting her, we just started saying "hommie". Twenty years later, we still walk around going, "anybody want hommie?" It gets pretty weird when we are in the supermarket and people overhear us arguing over what flavor "hommie" we want. We get alot of bizzarre looks with that one.

I love all of these!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Princess
    Well, I can't think of any phrases from home, but I have a story that cracks me up every time I think about it:
    A friend of mine was sitting quietly eating breakfast with his 4 year old son. His son was at least then known to be quite mischieveous. My friend was drinking coffee and his son was having bacon. Suddenly the son says out loud to himself: "Don't put the bacon in the coffee".
    (I think, anyway)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast