+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Phrases from Home

I can think of many that are commonly used in my homeland but would confuse the heck out of people here.

A prime example is when I was in the chat room the other day telling everyone I was "cream crackered".
    "That's Numberwang!"

Man, I bet that felt good, Fluff! Do you need a cigarette afterwards?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Down south we have a phrase to tell when something has spoiled.We just say it "has gone to the bad".

My oldest son couldn't pronounce his aunt Sandra's name so he called her Sandoo.The name caught on so well that even the people she works with call her that now.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

labtech
    If someone you really like is in a bad mood and you know they are the kind of person you can pick with you tell them " you better straighten up or I'm gonna take you out in the parkinglot and kick yo ass". This is very popular in the little town I work in. There are some very unique people there and you can tell that most of them have had their a$$ kicked or they definitely need it!!!!

Milk is delivered to your doorstep daily in England (if you want it).

My mum used to hear the milk float and say "here comes the milkman", one of my brothers thought that the milk was called milkman.
    We've all called milk "milkman" ever since.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Another one that's big (esp. in the South, AFAIK) is "Coke". If you're going to get some kind of soft drink/cola to drink, it doesn't matter if it's Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, etc....you always say, "I'm gonna go get a Coke" or "Does anyone want a Coke?"...

It's "pop" out here, Lobeck.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It's "fizzy" in Liverpool.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I also recall when I was out West several years ago, hearing the term "pop" for anything without alcohol. Here on the east coast, if you say you are going for Coke, you can safely assume they are planning on inhaling it, not drinking it!

It's "pop" here, too, but during my time in Florida, I had to learn to say "soda". Now I still call it soda most of the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast