+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with pictures and resolution

Taz

Help with pictures and resolution

I was wondering if there was a way to change resolution on a picture.

I have a fairly expensive camera (about 400-500) but didn't know anything about resolution when I bought it. It doesn't have a very high resolution at all, is there a way i can bring them to my computer and change the resolution? IF there is, what website do i use? Or is there a program? Or do i need to spend more money and get another camera? Just wondering. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

You can't really increase the resolution well after the picture is taken. What model camera do you have? Maybe you have it set to a lower resolution or more compression than necessary?

Taz, try using the setup menu on your camera to change the image quality to "super-fine" or "large."

Taz
    The best it stinkin goes is 640 by 480..

Taz
    so i guess that means i need to buy a new camera if i want good quality 8 by 10s? How many pixels should i get? Is it more pixels the better?

I have always been told that you want to get 3.1 megapixels or higher...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Taz, I'm curious. What make and model is your camera? For that kind of money, it should do much better than 640 by 480! I remember seeing an ad for a Konica 4 megapixel camera that went up to 2300 by 1700, for 450 or 500 or something in that range.

If you're going to buy a new camera, I would look for a Nikon or Canon or something like that.

To answer your question: The more pixels, the better quality enlargements you'll get.

I used to have a Sony Mavica at my office - and you are right, the resolution is not very good, and never can be so long as it is saving to a floppy disk, as it's limited to 1.4 mb. I was able to use pictures from it for technical presentations (showing an engine in a powerpoint presentation), but it won't ever make good 8x10 size prints. For printing, the minimum you can go and get decent quality is 150 dots per inch - and that's pushing it a bit. Professionals would use 300 dpi usually. At 150 dpi, your 640x480 picture can print at just over 4x3 inches without losing visible quality. If you are using the pictures on the internet on a website or email, then 72pdi is the rule, so you can show them quite a bit larger and they will look fine.

There's a design forum that I help moderate, where someone has asked the same basic question, and gotten some interesting answers - some of what's in here may help you a bit if you want to try experimenting with software options.
    http://www.were-here.com/forum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

I haven't tried any of those methods. I've heard good things about the fractals program, and FriendsofEd has a great reputation.

Taz
    I wish i had been smarter when i had bought my camera a couple of years ago...

Darn things down to 297.00 at Walmart now! GRR!

I'm not sure what i'm going to do.

I really would like to get the CD Mavica 500 that has 5.0 megapixels and takes cd-r or cd-rw, BUT
    as many moving parts as it says it has...not too sure about it.

Does any other camera out there take the infolithium batteries?

+ Reply to Thread