+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Priceline.com

Priceline.com

I'm wondering if any of you have ever used priceline, and, if so, with what results. I'm not sure how I feel about not knowing my flight times before booking, but if there really is the opportunity to save tons of money, I suppose it'd be worth it.

So...any of you ever tried this site?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Amanda, I have used Priceline for groceries -- which rocked, but they don't do it anymore.

For hotels you can't beat it! For rental cars too!

But I have never tried for airline. I definitely don't think that I could give up control over connections. Plus you don't get to pick the time of day you leave, so you could lose a day or 2 if your departure is really late and your return is really early.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I've tried it once, Amanda, and with taxes and everything, it wasn't that great of a price. Like BF said, you can't pick time of day which really irritates me. And also, once you give your price, if they find it then you bought it. I like to know more specifics before actually giving the ok.

I've enjoyed using Orbitz.com and Travelocity.com I think they give good deals. I planned my whole Vegas trip last summer using Orbitz.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Fade to black
    I've used Priceline a number of times, I just set my minimum price dirt cheap. I figure if I'm going to sacrifice the departure and arrival times, they better make it worth my while. If they reject my bid, I go to other sites (Expedia and Travelocity) that offer pretty good fares.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Oh I've used Expedia too. All three (Obitz, Expedia, Travelocity) are about the same. I like the control of it.
    Who shot who in the what now?

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    years ago and I mean years ago. I joined some travel club called Encore, last year when I went to my ,1000,000th class reunion I used them, they looked at what priceline would do and beat them by $50.

I only use expedia and nwa.com (I fly Northworst).

I use Expedia to find the flight numbers I want, because their system is friendlier. Then I take those flight numbers and buy them from nwa.com because I get an extra 500 miles each way, and I can check in over the internet the day before I leave, and print my boarding passes.

I'm highly amused whenever I hear one of those NWA commercials. I always think of the old rap group...and wonder if the airline execs have heard the other acronym.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Amanda, also try Hotwire.com.

I have never used it, but I've heard they have good prices, and unlike Priceline, you get to see the details I think before you purchase.

So my personal advice is to stay away from Priceline on the air travel portions, but use them for everything else. For hotels you don't get to pick the chain, but you can pick the specific area and a star level, so that's enough control for me. We have used it several times and I've been surprised at how dirt cheap I've gotten hotel rooms.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

My only problem with using those services is that I try to use the same airlines/chains/car rental places, so I get the discounts/upgrades/miles.

I only fly NW, I only stay in Choice Hotels (Holiday Inn chain), and I only rent from Hertz. Unless I absolutely have to change, I don't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast