+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Priceline.com

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I guess since I'm only going to be away for 3 days, I can't take the chance of a late night, early morning scenario.

It's weird, though. I live 8 train stops from the busiest airport in the world, and I can't find a decent direct freaking flight to Buffalo. They keep wanting me to stop over in places like Newark. Bah. I know Buffalo isn't exactly the metropolitan capital of the world, but it's not exactly Hayseedville. If I were going a little bit longer, I'd just drive.

Sorry, I'm all bitter about this.

*point of order - the the Chicago O'Hare is no longer the busiest airport in the world. Atlanta is now the busiest airport in the US, and the busiest airport in the world, I can't remember, but it's not in the US any more.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    *point of order - the the Chicago O'Hare is no longer the busiest airport in the world. Atlanta is now the busiest airport in the US, and the busiest airport in the world, I can't remember, but it's not in the US any more.
    I thought O'Hare regained the title in 2002. Eh, I dunno. There's a lot of filthy corrupt liars in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    I thought O'Hare regained the title in 2002. Eh, I dunno. There's a lot of filthy corrupt liars in this city.
    Here's an interesting article about 2002 airport statistics. I guess busiest could be defined by number of takeoffs and landings or by the number of passengers carried through, which I never considered. I wonder if anyone's posted statistics on which airport makes you sit on the runway and wait in line the longest? Then I could avoid it!!!!

http://in.news.yahoo.com/030215/137/215s3.html

Okay, I'll take a serving of crow for 1.

O'Hare has reclaimed its title as the World's Busiest Airport, with a close second by Hartsfield Atlanta, and a distant third by DFW Texas.

And interestingly enough, I also found out that the Eiffel Tower is the world's busiest pay attraction in the world, with an estimated 6 million visitors per year (by comparison, the Statue of Liberty only gets 2.5 million)

One thing that a lot of people don't realize when they book a hotel room online is that they are not guaranteed any certain room type. They get what the hotel has available. You can make a request but it is not guaranteed. When I go into work in the morning and we have oversold nonsmoking rooms I automatically change the internet reservations all to smoking. If you have five people in your room, you may still end up with a room that has one bed. It is there in the fine print when you make the reservation online. You are getting a substantial discount and in exchange you are expected to be flexible.

My biggest pet peeve with internet reservations has to be when people find out that the internet service has charged them more for the room than the hotel charges the internet service for the room. This is because internet services are not free. They are not voluntary organizations. They have employees whose families have to be fed. And it is not the customer who is paying the internet service. It is the hotel. When we are charging regular rates of $99 and you book online for $69 you are getting a large discount. The hotel will only get $49 of the money you paid. That does not mean you have paid too much. That's not $20 extra that you have paid. You have gotten a $30+ discount. That $20 is what the hotel has paid in order to have the internet service sell their hotel. Which means, by you making your reservation online the hotel is actually getting $50 less for the room than if you had booked through the hotel itself. That's why we make the stipulation that you must take whatever room we have available.

I hope that makes sense. I had this issue come up at work today. It comes up every once in a while and never ceases to piss me off.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12