+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

All right all you happily betrothed, engaged, and/or shacked up or dating patrons of FORT..

Please tell all your fellow FORTers the story of how you met your current or past significant others/spouses/Mr. or Ms. Right Nows etc. Current stories, past stories, past loves, all are welcome. Chop chop , just give it up...we need entertainment here....

I'll start: Very dull, but I've met most of my significant others on the job or through school. I did, however, meet the coolest only-a-few-dates guy at a New Year's Eve Party, where he got completely wasted and I thought he was an icky jerk. But...a "good" friend of mine found out he was interested in me, knew him through someone, and passed my phone number on to him. When he called, I thought he was a different guy from the party, being that he was all sober, charming, and sane on the phone. When I met him and found out he was the roarin' drunk, I just bust a gut laughing. We both laughed...and he ended up being decent. Good times..good times..

And despite the title of the thread, they don't need to all be inspirational! Funny/bad/messed-up stories are welcome!!

Okay...your turn. Give it up!
    Last edited by Shazzer; 08-01-2003 at 04:58 PM.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Well, I once met a girl on an Odessey of the Mind team. It took me a month to ask her out. She said yes. We went out for a week. I found out that my best friend told her to go out with me. I dumped her. My friend made a move on her. She said no. I stood on the sideline trying to figure out how all of it happened... Ok, so maybe that isn't the most inspirational story ever...
    Last edited by Boredom; 08-01-2003 at 04:50 PM.

Amanda, if he is half as funny as you, you could sell tickets for people to just come hang out with you guys.

Cool (yet normal) story. I actually really appreciate the normal stories because they give hope to those of us who are still looking!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Amanda, if he is half as funny as you, you could sell tickets for people to just come hang out with you guys.

Cool (yet normal) story. I actually really appreciate the normal stories because they give hope to those of us who are still looking!

Yes, yes, I hope people post normal stories too! Wish I could remove the "inspirational" 2nd part of my thread title...

And Amanda...I already told you...but you are some kind of crazy, wack, mastermind of comedic genius! You might be Paulie's "evil genius" twin!

boredouttamind....that's a fine story..and isn't Odyssey for smarties? Way to go!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    He's so much funnier than I am. He makes me look like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. Thanks, though.

And Shazzer, I *like* the inspirational part of the title. Things can be inspirational even when they're mundane. I've been doing the stupid evil horrible Atkins diet lately, and I found a TON of inspiration in the $47 taste-like-crap-but-still-bear-some-semblance-to-chocolate-so-I'll-take-it candy bars.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    I've been doing the stupid evil horrible Atkins diet lately, and I found a TON of inspiration in the $47 taste-like-crap-but-still-bear-some-semblance-to-chocolate-so-I'll-take-it candy bars.
    I am familiar with the stupidity and horribleness of the Atkins diet. I am assuming you are talking about Endulge. I also found that the grocery store had some called "Carb Solutions" that were quite good.

Sorry, that was incredibly off-topic. Back to the love stories!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

My husband and I knew each other from work. We had a month long business trip in a trailer in the middle of the desert during which coworkers were trying to set us up, but I (we?) were too thick to notice. The whole gang would decide to go into town for a movie, and then at the last minute, one would be stuck in a phone call with his wife, another would have a headache, and so on, so just the two of us would end up going out. I thought nothing of it.

Then he called me at home and asked if I wanted to see a movie. I blurted out "you mean with you?!" because I'm quite slow-witted. He said "just as friends" which I believed. Did I mention I'm slow-witted?

We saw the movie, nothing romantic, no hand holding, no good night kiss. Fine.

The second date, he came over to my house and my dog was in heat for the first time ever and I had no clue how to deal with it. I put the dog outside before he came in. He stayed way too long. I couldn't hear the dog barking over the radio and from the front of the house. But all the neighbors could - they called the police on me. When the cops came I had no choice but to bring the dog in ... I really had no way to deal with the dog being in heat though ... I could put her in a crate but unless we were all asleep she would bark her head off. Or I could put her in something I had rigged up with an old pair of my underwear with a hole cut for her tail and a pad. But that's not really date material. Or coworker material.

So I did what any sane person would do. I brought her into the kitchen, had her sit down next to me, and I put my hand on her back, as if I was petting her, but actually holding her down with about 80 pounds of pressure so she couldn't move and reveal what I knew was a growing mess underneath her. I spent about an hour or so like that, not moving, repeatedly saying things like "well, it's getting late, I guess you'd better go now" and him just nodding - but not actually getting up and going. I maybe could have gotten up and sort of led him to the door - but I couldn't let go of the dog. Finally she broke free. Ugh.

There wasn't a single thing to say about it, we were both speechless. I chased the dog with a mop for a while. My foreign exchange student sat around the corner on the floor laughing so hard she was crying.

He left. He didn't call me. He didn't look me in the eye at work. The next week I mailed him a copy of the receipt showing I'd had the dog spayed - with no letter or return address. Now we are married - but we've never spoken of the incident, not once.

Um, I don't know if that's inspirational.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by blindart
    The second date, he came over to my house and my dog was in heat for the first time ever and I had no clue how to deal with it. I put the dog outside before he came in. He stayed way too long. I couldn't hear the dog barking over the radio and from the front of the house. But all the neighbors could - they called the police on me. When the cops came I had no choice but to bring the dog in ... I really had no way to deal with the dog being in heat though ... I could put her in a crate but unless we were all asleep she would bark her head off. Or I could put her in something I had rigged up with an old pair of my underwear with a hole cut for her tail and a pad. But that's not really date material. Or coworker material.

So I did what any sane person would do. I brought her into the kitchen, had her sit down next to me, and I put my hand on her back, as if I was petting her, but actually holding her down with about 80 pounds of pressure so she couldn't move and reveal what I knew was a growing mess underneath her. I spent about an hour or so like that, not moving, repeatedly saying things like "well, it's getting late, I guess you'd better go now" and him just nodding - but not actually getting up and going. I maybe could have gotten up and sort of led him to the door - but I couldn't let go of the dog. Finally she broke free. Ugh.

There wasn't a single thing to say about it, we were both speechless. I chased the dog with a mop for a while. My foreign exchange student sat around the corner on the floor laughing so hard she was crying.

He left. He didn't call me. He didn't look me in the eye at work. The next week I mailed him a copy of the receipt showing I'd had the dog spayed - with no letter or return address. Now we are married - but we've never spoken of the incident, not once.

Um, I don't know if that's inspirational.
    Thats pretty funny! but you're right I wouldn't call it inspirational

I've never had a significant other so I can't exactly participate in this thread.

My husband and I met at the mature age of five and four years old respectively. I don't remember if there were any sparks, but I doubt it.

After that we never exchanged a single word, though we saw each other at church at least once a week while we were in the same class for 14 years. Our parents were friends and they did things together. He dated all my friends, I dated a few of his enemies...still no words exchanged. Then we went our separate ways for two years after high school, and bumped into each other the summer he was 21 and I was 20 (I got a temp job for the summer at the same agency he was working for). Sparks finally flew, he proposed on our second date, I said no, he kept asking every night until I finally said yes (47th time is the charm apparently) and eight months later we were married--that was nine years (and three small sons) ago.

Funny thing--ever since we got married our parents don't get along anymore. And if someone had told me when I was 12 that I would someday be Mrs. Spegs, I would have thrown myself in front of a truck immediately.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I don't have one.

Either a story or a significant other.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast