+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

~*Perfect Princess*~ Blazingorchidlv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Hearing stories like these makes me somewhat glad to be a perpetually single hermit.
    I agree! Being single isnt all THAT bad now is it? It has its ups! U can do whatever u want and not have someone breathing down ur neck the whole time! lol

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'll probably just have to make something up about meeting her in a college bar and throwing up on her.
    My wife and I already do that. Our line is that We met in a business conference in Bangkok.... Works every time.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

My own story is still in progress, but I have an interesting story about my grandfather's older brother, my grand-uncle. I pieced together his story from parts of his diary and family folklore.

He served in the Chinese Nationalist Army in the 1930/40's. When Japan invaded Manchuria in northeast China, his battalion was sent to fight there. The Japaneses won most of the early battle so his division was at one time surrounded by the Japaneses near the Russian border. Somehow, his division received permission from the Russian/Chinese governments to hide in Siberia until resupply and reenforcement.

His division was encamped right outside a small city in Siberia. Because he was one of the few who spoke Russian in his division, he and some Generals often go into town for supply and official business. Afterwards, he often dropped by a cafe where a Russian/Polish blond hair blue-eyes young waitress/cashier worked. He found her exotic and stunningly beautiful. When there weren't many customers in the cafe, he was able to talk to her in depth. He found out she is from a town near the Polish/Russian border but is in Siberia because his father is a political prisoner at the labor camp. Most of their conversations were about Russian poetry, which they both love. Their romance soon blossomed from platonic to steamy....

Two weeks into the happiest days of his life, his division was ordered to reenter China and engage the Japaneses. He also found out her father will soon be released from prison camp and her family will be returning to western Russia. Despite promise to stay in touch at their tearful goodbye, they lost contact with each other due to fluctuating personal, national & international circumstances.

He survived the war against the Japaneses, rosed through the ranks in the army, but was killed fighting the Chinese Communists two weeks after becoming a General.

bill, that's got to be the most turbulent, moving, yet bittersweet story I've read in this thread so far. Imagine - romance set against the backdrop of history. It's so the premise for an love epic. (I'm thinking an Eastern version of "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" channeling a bit of Solzehnitzyn First dibs on Ang Lee as director!)

Too bad the Chineses Communists ruined things for your grand-uncle, eh? History is written by the victims. Coincidentally, my grandfather served in the Communist Army during the Civil War, but he was quite young then - certainly not a General.

Thanks, nausicaa, for the compliment on my family history or writing style.

Regardless of his rank, your grandfather may have been better off than my granduncle. (Similiar to it's better to have been a Union soldier than a Confederate general).
    Last edited by Bill747; 08-12-2003 at 07:38 AM.

Ah, finally back home with faster connection, and right away I get to tell you my favorite story It will be long no doubt, sorry, I try to shorten it.

I got a scholarship 10 years ago to study a year in a small private university in United States (I am from Finland). Well, just so happened, that couple weeks after starting the school year this handsome stranger came to sit across me at the Cafeteria for lunch. He was the next door neighbour of my friend, and he smiled so beautifully at me that I could not get a word out of my mouth the whole lunch.

Some days after that meeting he sent me a private message on computer, just to say hi. I sent one back, and day after day the responses got longer... He was sitting on his computer in the basement, I was upstairs. (So nerdy). Eventually we decided maybe we should meet, and we had these secret meetings (none of our friends had a clue about what was going on) around midnight at Art Annex (I was doing my sculptures late night there).

Then one night he asked if I would come to his room after we were done with our studies that night. I went, finally around 3 am he asked if I would go out with him, and since then we have shared living quarters.

So after my year in States, he first came as exchange student to St. Petersburg, Russia, which is only about 300 miles away from Helsinki where I lived, and he came to visit every other weekend and holidays. After his exchange year he moved to Helsinki to live with me, we lived there 7 years, then moved to Alabama, with 2 sons in the picture. Somewhere in between (after our friends had lost hope we ever would) we got married on a Valentines Day and threw a surprise party for our closest friends.

That is a very sweet story Tirlittan.

There are sooo many heart warming stories here I couldn't begin to mention them all. It sounds like so many of you are so happy and so in love which is so great to hear in today's world. To all of you:

INTERNET CHAT ROOM

Still trying to figure out how we're going to explain that to the kid!!

We met 4 years ago, talked on the internet for about 2 weeks, then on the phone (for an average of 7 hours per night) for a month and then met in person. We've never looked back and tomorrow is our 2 year anniversary!!! He is one of the sweetest men I've ever met and I can't believe that he liked me back!!!

I think it's kind of cool that so many people have met through the internet or dating services. It still has a bad stigma attached, but I don't see why.

In most cases, people have talked on the phone or online enough to decide if they want to get to meet each other. It's kind of nice that they already like the person before they see each other in person.

It's no worse than telling your kids you met in a bar - like my boyfriend and I did.

+ Reply to Thread