+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    In a bar

That's the short version.

I actually knew Al through my brother. He was a friend of my brother's friends. But Al always seemed to have a girlfriend and I never paid much attention.

Flash forward to May 1991. My brother died at 26. I was devastated. I spent a lot of time with his friends, as we really needed each other. Al was unattached and we hit it off. However, my brother's friends were quite insistent that Al date me for the right reasons, since I was hurting and didn't need to be hurt otherwise. That was 12 years ago and Al and I are blissfully happy. (okay, an occassional fight now and then, but we have a great marriage). And my brother's friends and Al are the closest 4 guys can be to each other - the best of friends and my friends too!

I firmly believe my brother put us together. It was his final gift to me
    That's so sweet and sad at the same time.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I should probably mention that the first date with my wife, I got into a car accident. The second date, my car broke down in her driveway, and had to be towed out. The third date, I got a speeding ticket. And she still married me...
    and she doesn't work in the car insurance business?

I don't think your story is a snoozer, I like it - happy endings are always good

I just love reading these stories but I'm sorry about the hair fire. I can't stop laughing about "stop, drop and roll"

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    These stories are great! Mostly hilarious if not inspirational!

If any of you have been to Orlando- you are probably familiar with nickle beer night at Church Street Station. My wife and i beergoggled each other every week for an entire year with 5c beers, before she finally pawned me off on her friend... since she obviously wasn't interested, and her friend was hot- i dated her friend for awhile (until i found out that the friend also had a relationship with another woman- nuther story). We then met back up again and beergoggled for a few more months until she finally caved in to my unrelentless demands (see begging) for a real date. Dated for two years...

Okay so that's the boring part of how we met- the good part was the proposal...

Every year i run the Disney marathon- so i am running 26.2 miles with this ring in my hand- (i had let her sister in on the deal, so to make sure that i could find her amongst all the people at the finish line)- so about a 1/4 mile from the finish line- in front of all the thousands of people watching- i find her, and pull her out into the middle of the course- (get on a knee- which was quite difficult after running 26 miles) and propose to her- yes- we then ran hand in hand to the finish line (she was running like phoebe in friends- if you've ever seen that episode-pretty funny)...

btw- i missed qualifying for the Boston Marathon by 4 minutes... hmmmmmm.....

great story Quinn

I would think it would have been easy to get down on your knee after running that far... getting up however.....

My brother in law and his wife ran the Marine Corps Marathon last October. They both finished, but she said she wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Awww Quinn...what a great story!!! I can barely run to the basement for laundry, let alone a marathon! Way to Go!!

Al and I got engaged under the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree with thousands of people (well, maybe hundreds, it was only 10:23 a.m.) staring at us. I was floored

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok. not the lady I married but one I dated before...

When i went down to Antarctica in Oct. 92 I had to stop off in Christchurch New Zealand. There is a bar there that the americans all hang out in. I was there with one of the other guys in my group that was going south also. As we were standing at one end of the bar, Terry says "Hey Joe, check out the blonde at the other end". Well she certainly was great for the eyes. Great looking lady and imagine my joy when we found out she was the bartender coming on duty. So all night long I'm flirting and playing the game of get to know ya, well turns out she had the rep for always getting the last word in and fending off the advances of guys...till she met me. At one point she even went to the other end and asked the other bartender if he wanted to switch, except she told him that there was a guy and she couldn't get the last word in and was worried she was losing her touch. Well he said nope and told ever one else working that this ought to be good. So all night we are flirting, at last call I asked her if she was going to take me home, she said I couldn't handle it, So I asked why? She replied that she had two kids at home. I replied "take me home and you'll have three". Got her home number and she cooked me dinner the next night. We dated as I went through NZ for a year, and We still keep in touch, ten years later

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    That's a good line, joeguy. I'll have to remember that one.

Nice dog too. Is that a basset hound or a beagle?
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I met my husband at work. I was introduced to Mike on my orientation tour of the building, and was immediately smitten with him and his big green eyes. I tried everything I could to get him to notice me. I played dumb about computers, so he would have to come and help me with stuff. (His job is the ďhelp deskĒ computer network assistant.) I started visiting the water cooler closest to his desk so that I could stop by on my way back and talk to him. Nothing worked. I was too shy to go up and ask for a date, so I just prayed, and wore short skirts.

Ok, fast forward two months. As a graphic designer, I sometimes have to design large boards (24in x 36in) for the engineers to use during presentations. For one project in June, I had to do 26 boards for a presentation they were giving to the State DOT. We have a large color plotter (printer) that prints on 36in rolls of paper that takes about 20 minutes to print out one board. It was going to take me two days to print and mount on foam core all 26 boards, and they didnít finalize what they wanted until quitting time 48 hours before they needed to leave for the State capital, so I had no time to spare.

I came in early the next morning to get started on the boards. I sent them all to the print queue, and would walk down to the plotter about every 20 minutes to pull of a plot and get it ready to glue. Everything was going smoothly but as it always seems to happen around here, someone needed something right now, and I didnít get to check on the plotter for about two hours. As I rounded the corner of the cubicle I didnít hear any printing noises. To my horror, I found the plotter had stopped and there was ink dripping out of the front of it and down onto the pile of prints in the basket. I opened the cover of the printer to discover that it had run out of paper about a hour and a half before and proceeded to print about 7 or 8 boards onto the rollers of the printer. There was ink everywhere, and I didnít know what else to do but cry.

I was still fairly new at the company, and I hadnít made many friends yet. I told my boss about it and she told me to get Mike to help me. For the next five hours we talked and laughed and cleaned up ink. I have talked to him every night of the last since. That was two years ago last month. We got married last November, and I have never been so happy.

Oh, I asked him on our honeymoon why it took him so long to notice me. He said he thought I was just being friendly, but he did like the short skirts. Ha Ha
    Last edited by Harmoj; 08-05-2003 at 04:29 PM.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Short skirts are always a good start. Especially when you're a leg/ass man like me.

:stupid Single girls out there, take note.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

+ Reply to Thread