+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

Awww moon, that's so sweet. I remember those times when I was young. Cherish them. They are fantastic feelings.
    Who shot who in the what now?

What a great thread! So many great stories.

It's a long story, so you may want to grab a drink.

I had almost given up on relationships. I had recently ended a long term relationship with a guy that I thought I'd be with forever. I was approaching 30 and felt that I wasted too much of my 20s in deadend relationships.

Frustrated, one of my counselor friends, had suggested that I write a list of qualities that I wanted in a mate and a list of qualities that I NEEDED in a mate. For example, I might like a guy with a great job, but it isn't something I needed. Anyhow, I made the list and tucked it away.

For about a year and a half I didn't date anyone seriously. No one really captured my interest and I was beginning to think that all the guys I met were single for a reason.

Last New Years, I was tempted to stay at home. A bunch of girlfriends talked me into joining them. The holidays are a bad time if you're single and we decided to just blow off some steam. As a joke, we all wore red underwear. Apparently, there is a tradition that red underwear on New Years brings you luck in love.

We went out to a neighbourhood bar and were dancing on the dancefloor. A group of guys were dancing close by and they started dancing with us. One of them caught my eye and we started talking a little bit. I had told him a few times that I came with my friends and I was going to leave with my friends and he was fine with that. There was no pressure, just a lot of laughs and fun and at the end of the night, he asked me for his phone number. Despite him being younger than me, I gave it to him anyhow, figuring he'd never call me.

He did and we ended up going out. I was a little nervous because at this time, we had discovered there was more than a bit of an age difference. On the day we first went out, I found the list I made detailing what the qualities I needed/wanted were. There was no mention of age. That list was always in the back of my mind.

We ended up having a great time and started seeing more and more of each other. Soon it was almost everyday. He had every single quality on the list. He was driven, compassionate, funny, good looking, thoughtful, etc, etc. But he was still younger than me and I was convinced it wouldn't work. He disagreed. Things have managed to work out great.

We're now living together and things are going extremely well. I'm in the relationship I've always dreamed of. We're equals and partners in every sense of the word. I can't predict the future, but the plan is to get engaged once he completes his police training. (A little over a year away)

Now if only I can get him to appreciate hockey....

Now THAT is a wonderful story Miss F. Congrats!

That is a sweet story, indeed, Miss F.

And you hair-fire women cracked me up.

I have a fire story to tell, but it's not really romantic. I'll save it for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhora
    Now THAT is a wonderful story Miss F. Congrats!

Wow...wonderful story Miss F! Truly inspirational...nice, nice, nice.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Leo
    Premium Member
    I have to agree, that was a very inspirational story.

As for me, I have none to share - no significant other for now.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Oh Miss F, I love your story. It's truly romantic.
    Anyway I also hope that my future significant other appreciates soccer or at least is a soccer fan too.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    One thing I got from Miss F's story:

Maybe I should try older women. I've always liked younger women and have never been interested in older women. Maybe it's time for that to change...
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Actually, if I could give any advice to people that are single and want to find someone, do the list thing. Once you decide what it is you need in a relationship versus what you want, you'll have a clearer idea.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    In a bar

That's the short version.

I actually knew Al through my brother. He was a friend of my brother's friends. But Al always seemed to have a girlfriend and I never paid much attention.

Flash forward to May 1991. My brother died at 26. I was devastated. I spent a lot of time with his friends, as we really needed each other. Al was unattached and we hit it off. However, my brother's friends were quite insistent that Al date me for the right reasons, since I was hurting and didn't need to be hurt otherwise. That was 12 years ago and Al and I are blissfully happy. (okay, an occassional fight now and then, but we have a great marriage). And my brother's friends and Al are the closest 4 guys can be to each other - the best of friends and my friends too!

I firmly believe my brother put us together. It was his final gift to me

+ Reply to Thread