+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

What a great thread, Shazzer! And your hair story .
    Thanks for sharing all these great stories, everyone. It is so inspiring!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I wish mine was funny... or romantic.. or at least odd, but....

I was working as a receptionist and my husband was working as a manager for the same company. We had never met, as he worked at a location in Virginia, and I worked at a few of them in Maryland.
    The company had a 3-day “How To Answer The Phone” Seminar at a hotel. All the managers and receptionists had to attend.
    It turned out that we sat at the same table for dinner the first night and he offered me his jacket, as I was cold. After dinner he asked if I wanted to go for a swim so I said “Sure, I’ll meet you at the pool”.
    I go change, and head for the pool. He’s not there, so I decide to swim some laps. Half way through my 3rd or fourth lap I see him standing at the side, fully dressed. He had forgotten his swimming gear.
    I’m laughing, and we decide to just go get dessert at the restaurant.
    We started hanging out at the hotel during all the “down time”. Once he asked me to meet him at his room. His roommate let me in (He was the manager from one of my shops) and my future hubby came walking out of the shower in a towel. He claims he didn’t know I had arrived yet. I figure he just knew how fine he looked!
    When it was time to go home he walked me out to my car. I had locked the keys in it. He told me he had a tool to get them out, but not with him, so he had to give me ride home, about 40 minutes in the opposite direction. He picked me up the next day and took me to get my car.
    We’ve pretty much been together every available minute since then. That was 1984.
    It also turns out that he could have broken into my car with a regular hanger, which we probably could have found at the hotel….of course he didn’t know that I could have done it with a hanger too
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Figure I'd add that we were married in 87 so in September (on fluffs birthday) we will celebrate our16th wedding anniversary
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Personals... I've always considered that to be the last refuge of the desperate. And besides, you never know what you could end up with these days. I've thought about that myself, but can't bring myself to go through with it.
    Apple - are you talking about me?? Actually, I was seeing about three different guys off and on at the time. Which became interesting, because I had to get rid of all of them quickly and quietly....

But if you knew my husband and me, we are the very last people on the planet that you would expect had met through a personal ad.

Anyway, I utimately decided that God just has this really well-developed sense of humor. Mr. Bumpkin and I had each been praying privately that we would meet the right person. For it to have happend the way it did really went against our sensibilities.

Actually, I met quite a few people through non-traditional methods. I wouldn't completely discount personal ads or online methods. You have to be very, very picky. And while I didn't find a match, I made some really good friends along the way. And I have this whole cache of great blind date stories to tell!

And Shayla -- Yes - I *do* have the ad framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Which became interesting, because I had to get rid of all of them quickly and quietly....
    This made me think you tried to snuff 'em out with a pillow case or something ! J/k!

I've heard of other people meeting people online successfully, so Yellow, give it a shot, look at Libra and Bumpkin and others, all fine, wonderful ladies!

And Amanda and OneTVslave () I definitely think the story is much funnier in retrospect, now that I'm all safe and hairy again. And Amanda! Another hair fire! OMG! The 80's were dangerous for womankind everywhere! (Although my hair was all wigged out like that in the mid-90's *shakes head in shame*)
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

We always just laugh, because we met in a bar. We still hang out at that bar with a number of other couples who met there.

I'd been very, very single for about 3 1/2 years, in my early 30s, and was about to head off for a vacation to Hawaii with my best friend. She had never been, so we meet at The Brick to look over my family pictures from Hawaii and she mentions that she works in the same building and regularly talks to a couple of the guys over at the buddy bar.

They came over to talk to us, we implied that we were going to find lots of trouble in Hawaii! They mentioned protection and we said we were taking lots of sun screen. Ha, Ha, Ha. She told me the next day that one of the guys thought I was "The cat's meow". He was 20 years older than I, about to leave his wife because she made his life hell, but over all, a very nice guy.

So we brought them back a couple of cheap lei's each and met them at the bar with our pictures, I slipped my card in his pocket as he left, and things took off from there! We've been married two years in July.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Hearing stories like these makes me somewhat glad to be a perpetually single hermit.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Apple - are you talking about me?? Actually, I was seeing about three different guys off and on at the time. Which became interesting, because I had to get rid of all of them quickly and quietly....

But if you knew my husband and me, we are the very last people on the planet that you would expect had met through a personal ad.

Anyway, I utimately decided that God just has this really well-developed sense of humor. Mr. Bumpkin and I had each been praying privately that we would meet the right person. For it to have happend the way it did really went against our sensibilities.

Actually, I met quite a few people through non-traditional methods. I wouldn't completely discount personal ads or online methods. You have to be very, very picky. And while I didn't find a match, I made some really good friends along the way. And I have this whole cache of great blind date stories to tell!

And Shayla -- Yes - I *do* have the ad framed!
    Actually, I was talking about myself there. Didn't mean to make the shoe fit you as well. Oops.

Anyway, I've had my share of online meetings turned bad. Since I talk to more people online than I do in real life, it would make sense, I guess. Making that transition from online buddy to real life on can be... odd... at times, to say the least. I'll just say that most of the time, the expectations never quite mesh with the reality.

At least in my case. Your experience may be different.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Actually, I was talking about myself there. Didn't mean to make the shoe fit you as well. Oops.
    Apple, I was just kidding you! I didn't take offense.

I have met many people from online friendships in real life and, like you, the reality never quite meets up to what you imagined.

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    I'm too young for this thread, but I LOVE this guy.

His name is Matt. He's a little older thatn I am, but who cares? He's a Gemini, a red head, and he's 5'8". He's the funniest guy I've ever met. And he has the nicest eyes. They're just a gorgeous blue. I could stare at them for hours. I once had to hold his hand (it was before the play I was putting on and we sang a little song) and his hands are warm and soft. I'm in love.

We're good friends. He's really polite and sweet. If only I were older or he were younger.....*sigh*
    I was in love with a difficult man.

+ Reply to Thread