+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

Shayla, I hope everyone reads your sig line. I can't wait. (To see mars that close... the martians can stay there )

So... I LOVE all these stories, and promise to post mine tomorrow. It's not all that funny, but it's true
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I should probably mention that the first date with my wife, I got into a car accident. The second date, my car broke down in her driveway, and had to be towed out. The third date, I got a speeding ticket. And she still married me...

cali, August 27th, I think. Mars will appear six times larger than usual. But, I think Venus will still outshine it.

John, you are immensely fortunate that your wife doesn't believe in "bad signs." Or, perhaps it would behoove the two of you to take strolls. Tandem recumbent bikes? The tres romantic bus?

This is so nice! And it is proof that some relationships last for 10 years +! It's really nice to know love is in the FORT!

Geezz…this is really working…I’m feeling…veklempt (sp?) *sniff, sniff*

Yellow, it was really only fake offense, no real offense was taken, and it gave me an excuse to solicit more stories!

Man, do I love these stories! Shayla, you are sooo ballsy..I admire it! (I.e. I just meant that I would think about asking the man to my slide show…but the words wouldn’t necessarily make it out of my mouth)

And John, that is an odd little occurance. You remind me of two stories:

One of my best friend’s has a sister who went out with a guy she didn’t really like a whole lot, and on their first date, he was in a car accident. She was never planning on going out with him again, but after the car accident, she felt badly, and went out with him again. Now they’re married. (Very, very, happily, I might add.)

The second story John reminds me of is kind of a semi-date story, but still interesting. One of my best friends in the whole wide world is a guy who never had a serious girlfriend (lots of dating, but no steady girlfriend). Because of that, he used to ask me, his "bestest bud" to his company Christmas parties every year. Every single year, something terrible happened to us.
    First year: flat tire (mind you, we live in MN, where it is abysmally arctic in December/January, and you don’t want to be outside for any considerable length of time).
    Second year: He locked his keys in the car at the gas station just seconds from my house…with the car running!! We had to wait two hours or so for the cops to work on his car and unlock it.
    Third year: My hair caught on fire. Yes..it caught on fire! I was wearing hairspray, and I had really long hair, and we were leaning on a bar with all these little tea lights set up everywhere. Next thing I know, my friend is looking at me panicked and I feel very hot and he starts to wack my head and cries, “You’re on fire!!”. I freak out and all I can think about is Dick Van Dyke and his film strips about “stop, drop, and roll”. I head to the ground but the flames are distinguished by his furious slapping instead. The entire left side of my hair was burnt down to scalp or chin length. Had to have a serious haircut after that. Thank God my skin was okay!! Some major d*ckweed laughed and said, “oh! Michael Jackson!” as I headed to the ladies room in tears, with about a hundred women/strangers following me to console me.
    Fourth year: The Christmas party was at the MN zoo (yep, they have catered parties there) and the theme was “tropical”. Everyone was supposed to come dressed up as such. I wore a small, flowery, wrap-around skirt and a small top with a flower in my hair etc., my friend wore a big Hawiaan shirt and some shorts (note: this wasn’t really as bad as Officespace, I promise!) Turns out we were only one of about 10 couples out of 1000 who dressed up. It was winter, and I got leers all night, as I was severely underdressed. Needless to say, I felt a bit like a street walker (although, I must say it was extremely tasteful. But even so, ain't my company, right? Heh heh) Yes, this was the tamest, nothing severe that year, but I did feel stupid, was my humiliation not enough? After the fourth year, I stopped going and made him take my other friend (I tried to play matchmaker. It didn’t work for them, but they’re good friends now.)

My best friend still works at this company, and from time to time people say, “Do you remember that time when some chick’s hair caught on fire at the Christmas party?” and my friend has to say, “That was my date!” Ahhh…the memories live on…
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayla
    These stories are hilarious, better than TV!

BlindArt, you're a master of the understatement. I laughed my a$$ off reading your story. I have no a$$ now.

Bumpkin, wow! Do you still have a copy of the ad? (I'm imagining you have it blown up to poster-size and framed.) I've considered answering personal ads, but couldn't bring myself to do it. There have only been two that stood out, one in the Weekly and one online, but I didn't respond to them. One of my close friends is in a soulmate-quality relationship due to personal ads. His friends found the ad, thought it would be a perfect match, and pressured him to answer it.

I'm also not in a relationship, but have been in 4 long-term relationships and a few involvements. What do the kids call them these days? The previous generation called them "bunkies." That's a cute term.
    Oh, you mean a shack-up?

Personals... I've always considered that to be the last refuge of the desperate. And besides, you never know what you could end up with these days. I've thought about that myself, but can't bring myself to go through with it.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I should probably mention that the first date with my wife, I got into a car accident. The second date, my car broke down in her driveway, and had to be towed out. The third date, I got a speeding ticket. And she still married me...

Now that was worth staying awake for John!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    Third year: My hair caught on fire. Yes..it caught on fire! I was wearing hairspray, and I had really long hair, and we were leaning on a bar with all these little tea lights set up everywhere. Next thing I know, my friend is looking at me panicked and I feel very hot and he starts to wack my head and cries, “You’re on fire!!”. I freak out and all I can think about is Dick Van Dyke and his film strips about “stop, drop, and roll”. I head to the ground but the flames are distinguished by his furious slapping instead. The entire left side of my hair was burnt down to scalp or chin length. Had to have a serious haircut after that. Thank God my skin was okay!! Some major d*ckweed laughed and said, “oh! Michael Jackson!” as I headed to the ladies room in tears, with about a hundred women/strangers following me to console me.
    I'm sorry but that's funny. And, just to show you that I'm not malicious, I'll admit that it happened to me too.

I was trying to impress this bartender. Ugh, this is so embarrassing to remember, but I'll tell you guys anyway. I asked him for a "stoplight" shot. I can't remember what the green shot was, but the "yellow" was 151 (evil in liquid form) and the red was cinammon schnapps, which happened to be on fire. Now, if my friends were a) nice and/or b) smart, they would have told me that you're supposed to blow out flaming shots before you do them. I was 19 and in the bar with a fake I.D.; what did I know? So I go to do the flaming shot, and my 80's-relic-Aqua Net-infused hair goes up in flames. Some nice guy next to me starts beating me on the head before I even knew I was on fire. The bartender was NOT impressed, and I found a different bar to sneak into from that point on. Blah.

Oh, and I dated the guy who beat my hair into submission for the next few months.

These stories are great!
    But...owwwww.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

OMG Amanda!!!!!!!

Everyone has great stories!
    Who shot who in the what now?

+ Reply to Thread