+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Heh. Unfortunately, so am I.

Where are the hot girls, dammit?
    *ahem* Plenty of us *ahem, cough* around. Us gorgeous and amazing FORT ladies take offense...

Hey now, I'm single, too, and that shouldn't stop all you/us (haejin, yellow, etc.) single folks from posting a "story", even if it's an oldie. My story at the beginning of this thread is from many years ago. So, chippety chop, post it! (No pressure..... ) (And I'm sure you can find a nice juicy fruit somewhere in that orchard of yours, Yellow. )

I just have to say that I'm lovin' all these stories here (John, yours too). So fun to read!

Here, I'll resort to telling a story about someone else: A friend of mine was taking several university courses, and a design professor teaching classes nearby asked her to pose for him (for a portrait). Yeah, he was incredibly cute, and yeah, he was single, and yeah, he was close to her age, and yeah, it's such a cheesy line...but it worked! They've been as one ever since. (And yeah, it's so cliche', but it worked! - even though I have to say that I was a bit of cold water at the beginning, i.e. I thought this sounded sooooo cheesy of the guy, and I sort of told her he sounded like a dork for this and did she really WANT to date a dork? It was just soooo...cliche', and sooo obvious that he didn't need a model for his paintings and just wanted to ....well....but hey, she went for it and they're incredibly happy now, and I really like him and the bonus is that I get to make fun of him for this, and he laughs good-naturedly. )
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Ok, I'll share a story about someone I know too (she has a HUGE history in this by the way).

Last year, she finally got hooked up with a guy. She broke up with him a month later (I don't know the reason--commitment troubles maybe?). Then, around Christmas, she asked me to help her win back that guy.

Well, she did, and 2 weeks later they were ex's again. I think it was commitment issues too.

And then after they broke up, she began having a crush on someone 2 grades lower than her (when you're in the school I go to, it's a near crime to date someone not in your grade). She would do everything to get the guy to notice her, and even resorted to giving him a gift for Valentine's Day. Which the guy later threw away the card with her phone number. And so ends this story.

Next comes the guy-who-was-mentioned-above's older brother. And then she tries her best to hook herself up with him. But unfortunately, it ends in her saying "He is a mother****ing c**t."

And that's about all there is because we got into a fight over this other girl about who gets first rights to her friendship (I know, how stupid). I conceded, and I haven't heard a peep from the girl ever since (unless it's to copy my math answers or have me put her CD player in her backpack). It's been a little hard, trying to keep up with a former friend's love life.

Her love stories were very amusing, though. I don't know if the way I retold them gave them enough justice.
    Last edited by haejin; 08-03-2003 at 12:34 PM. Reason: To fix a typo

I met my husband at school, I was 13, he was soon to be 15.

We got married on New Years Eve 11 years later, ten years ago this year.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Here's a little love story for you... it involves one of my friends who got in a little bit of trouble.

My friend was at a party when this girl asked him out. He said maybe. She took it as yes. The next day, another girl asked him out. He said maybe. She took it as yes. The next day, the second girl caught him kissing another girl and got mad at him. Then she told a friend of hers, who told her friend, who happened to be the first girl. The next day, The second girl slapped him about 20 times, and the first girl wrote him a little letter that went something like this:
    I used to think that you were cool. It was nice knowing that we were going out. But how dare you wrap three girls around your finger at one time! I thought that you loved me, but I was wrong. You are a beast that cannot love, you mother******. I hope you go to hell, you (insert about 4 different curse words). Sincerely,
    Then she slapped him. The girl who he kissed also slapped him.

Ok, that really wasn't inspirational, but it was funny to see the poor guy suffer.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    [QUOTE=Shazzer]*ahem* Plenty of us *ahem, cough* around. Us gorgeous and amazing FORT ladies take offense...

Hey now, I'm single, too, and that shouldn't stop all you/us (haejin, yellow, etc.) single folks from posting a "story", even if it's an oldie. My story at the beginning of this thread is from many years ago. So, chippety chop, post it! (No pressure..... ) (And I'm sure you can find a nice juicy fruit somewhere in that orchard of yours, Yellow. )

QUOTE]

Well, no offense was meant, I can assure you. I was talking more to myself than to anyone else, just venting some frustration. I was talking with my best friend about this same thing the other day. We're both the same age (27), and he's been happily married for 2 and half years now, whereas I don't even have a girlfriend at the moment. It's hard not to get frustrated sometimes when I look around and all I see are couples.

Anyway, as for stories, I'm afraid I really don't have any. I haven't really had a serious relationship yet.

And boredouttamind, that dude got whatever he deserved.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    And boredouttamind, that dude got whatever he deserved.
    He really deserved what he got, considering he had cheated on two of them without them knowing. It's just funny to see this guy get what he deserves, since he's such an annoying person.

These stories are hilarious, better than TV!

BlindArt, you're a master of the understatement. I laughed my a$$ off reading your story. I have no a$$ now.

Bumpkin, wow! Do you still have a copy of the ad? (I'm imagining you have it blown up to poster-size and framed.) I've considered answering personal ads, but couldn't bring myself to do it. There have only been two that stood out, one in the Weekly and one online, but I didn't respond to them. One of my close friends is in a soulmate-quality relationship due to personal ads. His friends found the ad, thought it would be a perfect match, and pressured him to answer it.

I'm also not in a relationship, but have been in 4 long-term relationships and a few involvements. What do the kids call them these days? The previous generation called them "bunkies." That's a cute term.

To clarify above, the ones I've referred to as "involvements" weren't playmates or anything. They just didn't last more than several months (and, in some cases, several weeks). Good intentions and whatnot. Let's see. I think I'll tell you all about how my second boyfriend and I hooked up.

When I was 20 and still in college, I used to regularly visit the college library, not to be studious. My dorm was across the street from it. In retrospect, I think every kiss from that era was borne out of the library aisles. But that's another story.

Anyway, each day I stumbled over to the periodicals section, procured a paper, and proceeded to steal the daily crossword from the library. If I didn't have time, I'd just tear one out and stuff it in my pocket or down my pant leg, held in place only by underwear elastic.

One day I sat in periodicals, my back turned to the librarians' counter, and filled out those little grey crossword boxes. In my sunken chair, head lowered to the page, I barely noticed the dude who asked, "Is that the NY Times?" I nodded. He feigned disbelief.

Embarrassed, I said, "That's a nice shirt." It was one of those busy patterned shirts that guys wore then, like tropical shirts, only less conspicuous. I suppose that shirt compliment was a sign to begin conversation. He said that he hadn't washed it yet, because his laundry basket was stolen. I suggested he cart his laundry to the machines in pillowcases or in a sack made out of a bed sheet. He said he'd try that. I invited him to go on a walk with me, and he declined, on account of all the work he had to finish that evening. I told him I was giving a slide presentation that Monday and invited him to attend.

At the time I was starting to date a different guy, but it was new and we weren't committed to one another. He didn't show up to the slideshow, but the Clueless About Laundry Guy (CALG) did. At about 10:30, when the slideshow ended and I had finished packing up, I ambled over to the library to read and do homework. CALG appeared through the electronic doors, and I thanked him for attending. He expressed his enjoyment of the presentation. He made a type of googly-eyed look. Either he was contemplating arson, or he was interested in me. So I invited him to go on a walk again and we did. We walked to the bay and kissed under a dead tree, in which lived several ospreys.

It was a loving and fun relationship. CALG transformed into the CAMPUS STREAKER. That was amusing. One evening he rode a bicycle through campus naked and wearing only a cape.

We remained together for two years, and he followed me out to the West Coast. Then we broke up on tax day, 1997. It was an amicable break-up, and we still stay in touch.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    mr. gracie and I were penpals and I knew he was the one even before I'd ever seen him. When we finally met, it took me two weeks to convince him I was the one and two week after that we got married. It was a month to the day after I graduated from high school. Kind of impulsive, but when it's right, go for it. It seems to have worked out we're still married after 35 years.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Gamer Chick & Principal bearwme1's Avatar
    I met mine on the telephone. I was calling to rent a truck to move another friend who was unhappy with her boyfriend back home to Wisconsin. He answered the telephone and was laughing. I though that was cute. We had a short conversation and I put in a reservation for the truck, but said I would call back to confirm it. He called me the next day and everyday after that after I got home from work. We talked on the telephone for about 3 months before we met for lunch at his job. We got married a year later and have been married 11 years yesterday. He was my best friend then, and he's my best friend now.

+ Reply to Thread