+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

Well I met my husband in a frat house, was walking around looking for a friend of mine and met him. Of course had to get rid of my boyfriend at the time (that took 3 months but hey)

The oddest way I met someone was through a window. I was 17 visiting my sister for the winter carnvel weekend at the college she was at. She dumped me. So I was wandering around at 11pm trying to figure out what to do when this guy started yelling out the window at me. From 5 floors up. We had a nice little talk (yell) and then he yells "stay there, don't move" A few minutes later he came bounding out the door (because he was worried I was going to leave) and asked me out to a midnight movie. We dated for a few weeks but no real sparks...he devolped a thing for my best friend instead.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    spegs, AmandaG, blindart, wonderful stories! Loved reading them.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I met my wife at work, back when we were 17. Dated for 4 years or so, got married at 21, and nearly 12 years later, here we are. *taps everyone on the shoulder to wake them up*

One Sunday afternoon I was incredibly bored and my dating life was in a drought .. so I sat down with the Personal Ad section of the Tennessean and circled a few ads.

One seemed very typical of personal ads, (loves the theatre, dinner, moonlight walks .. yadda, yadda) except that it mentioned he was a Christopher Reeves look alike.

At the time I read the ad, Chris Reeves had *just* had his accident (and my disclaimer is that at the time we had no idea how serious his injuries would be), so I responded to his ad and made some lame joke about the connection in my voice message

My husband told me much later that the ad I saw was the very last of a three week run. He had several responses, but had never called any of the girls back. But there was just "something" about my voice.

He called me and we met for coffee. At the end of our second date he kissed me. After that I couldn't get rid of him. We married six weeks later.

We had our first date 8 years ago yesterday. And folks still go, "no way" when we say that we met thru a personal ad. Heck. I do too.

Blindart - your story had me snorting coffee on the monitor! That is a scream! I love it!

Well this won't surprise any of my fellow hockey "Forters" but when I was 15, I was waiting outside the Montreal Forum to stalk hockey players (some people might call me a groupie,but really it was just to meet them and take pics with them- I love meeting celebs)anyways...this guy was reading the newspaper and I asked him if "my man" was in the paper, with a strange look (understandibly so) he said "who is your man and I said "Claude Lemieux". He looked and said "no".

Seeing as meeting players was my Saturday hobby(and his too obviously)
    I saw him regularly outside the Forum and we'd say "hi" and started talking from there, which lead to dating for 10 years, getting engaged, now married for 3 years and 2 beautiful children. (There was a year break-up in between that 10 years to "test the waters" I guess,but we realized there was no better match out there for either of us)

And that folks is my story-my hockey "Fort"ers aren't surprised by this I'm sure! lol

Ok not like it's a major thing at this point in time, I've only been dating my current signifigant other for just over a month but heck I might as well contribute.

I'd just recently been told by the guy I was seeing that he wanted to be "just friends" (conveniently about two days after he met this girl while his band was out playing a gig and she was all the heck over him all night and he introduced me to her as "just another one of our groupies" but anyways, I digress...). I was sitting here at home bored out of my skull and feeling sorry for myself so I decided to give the online personals another shot after several not so fruitful experiences in the past. About a week after setting up an ad I got this really nice email from a guy that was out of the norm for ones I normally had been getting.....he actually talked about himself and asked questions and wasn't just full of b.s. about me being so beautiful in my pictures and here's his phone number/what's mine and all that mess. We emailed and did AIM chats for a couple of weeks and met in person just about a month ago for dinner. Honestly I wasn't sure how things were gonna go after that one date cause I tend to be pretty quiet when I'm getting to know people, but apparently it went pretty well cause we're going on a month worth of dating and I'm still having a great time with him. He's really been a breath of fresh air for me compared to many of the guys that have tried to chat with me from past ads...they are always pushing the first day to meet/talk on the phone, and I'm not about all that rushing...this one left it all in my hands for when I was comfortable with doing these things and was more than patient waiting.

Ok so it's not some great love story or anything just yet, but there are some good ones out there in the online personals if you can dig thru the mush to find them!!

I have no story to share. Nor do I have any significant other. I'm friends with a lot of hot guys, though...

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I met my wife at work, back when we were 17. Dated for 4 years or so, got married at 21, and nearly 12 years later, here we are. *taps everyone on the shoulder to wake them up*
    Ungh...wha...what did you say, John?

Just kidding! That's a good way to have it happen. Nice stories, everybody! Blindart...

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by haejin11377
    I have no story to share. Nor do I have any significant other. I'm friends with a lot of hot guys, though...
    Heh. Unfortunately, so am I.

Where are the hot girls, dammit?
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

+ Reply to Thread