+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: How you met your significant other: the inspirational "teary-eyed" thread

Oh, this thread is so fun to read. You all have such cute stories! Sadly, I have nothing to add. Seriously. I have never had a significant other. My longest 'relationship' lasted a couple of days....and that was in middle school.
    Goodness, am I ever a sad case :mad:
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I think it's kind of cool that so many people have met through the internet or dating services. It still has a bad stigma attached, but I don't see why.

In most cases, people have talked on the phone or online enough to decide if they want to get to meet each other. It's kind of nice that they already like the person before they see each other in person.

It's no worse than telling your kids you met in a bar - like my boyfriend and I did.
    I actually hesitate to tell my children, if I wind up haveing any how my wife and I met. My wife's family is overseas, and as bad as it sounds here, it sounds worse over there. almost along the lines of mail order brides.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I think it's kind of cool that so many people have met through the internet or dating services. It still has a bad stigma attached, but I don't see why.

In most cases, people have talked on the phone or online enough to decide if they want to get to meet each other. It's kind of nice that they already like the person before they see each other in person.

It's no worse than telling your kids you met in a bar - like my boyfriend and I did.
    I agree. I know two people who met their significant others online and are getting married (one who had a wedding earlier this summer). I saw a recent NY times article where it said it was becoming more and more socially acceptable. Anyhow, lovely stories, everyone. So fun to read.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Very nice stories indeed About the internet relationships, it used to be penpals before chatrooms took over. I know a person who met her husband through an international penpal service (not a dating service, just normal innocent school/college penpals), and they have been happily married over 20 years now. One just can not plan these things, you never know where or when you meet the right person.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    Very nice stories indeed About the internet relationships, it used to be penpals before chatrooms took over. I know a person who met her husband through an international penpal service (not a dating service, just normal innocent school/college penpals), and they have been happily married over 20 years now. One just can not plan these things, you never know where or when you meet the right person.
    I did that for several years up to and including my college graduation. After a while though, some of them.... how does one say, you get attached to people, when you two have started pouring your hearts into the letters.

or is it just me?
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

My wife and I met in college. We lived in the same dorm my junior (her sophomore) year. It was the year of Stanford's Centennial Celebration, and the RA's on our floor had planned for everyone on our floor to go to the big gala event in the Quad together. When it came time to head over, the only people on the whole floor that showed up were her and her friends and me and my friends. I'll always remember that she balanced on one foot when she leaned across the hall to shake my hand. Found out later she was a dancer. Aha.

We all walked over to the Quad together, and I immediately noticed that she was the funniest woman I'd ever met. I was doing double- and triple-takes to check her out every time she opened her mouth. Her roommate at the time knew right away that I was interested. My wife, though, claims she didn't notice. She did, however, notice how funny I was, as I tramped through the bushes beside the sidewalk because there wasn't enough room to walk next to her on the sidewalk itself.

At the Celebration itself, she stood right behind me to watch the show. I was very aware of her presence there. It was awesome. At the end of the Celebration, they put on probably the greatest display of fireworks I've ever seen. I always like to say "There were fireworks on the night we met."

After overcoming the relationship complexity of my roommate taking an interest in her first, we started dating about a month or less after we first met. A year and a half later, I flew to Paris to spend a weekend with her while she was studying there for a quarter. I brought a ring with me, and I proposed to her under the Arch de Triomphe on Valentine's Day.

Our 10th anniversary is a week from Thursday.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Awwww, Paulie, that is so cool !

Paulie, that is such a sweet story...you can tell you really feel strongly towards your wife (that and in the engagement ring thread). Awwww....what a cute couple! (And I love that you two are a comedy duo, I know several couples like that, and they are soooo much fun to hang out with, and they tend to last a loooonnngg time. )

I just have to reiterate that I love reading everyone's stories. So fun...and so moving. Thanks!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

This is such a cute thread!

My story is not as exciting as some, but I'll post it anyway.

Basically, we met in a "forced" set up. My friend had been trying to introduce me to this guy for months. I kept saying no, because from what I heard and his pictures (yes, she even showed me his pictures) just didn't appeal to me. From an objective point of view, he was a hottie but just not my type. So time went by, he started dating another one of my friends briefly and I forgot about him since I starting dating someone else.

For some reason, my friend didn't like this date. So she got us together one Friday without letting either one of us know we'd be there. I was pissed off at my friend for lying but there were other people there so I behaved and tried to have fun. In the end the whole group got drunk went to a club where I passed out. He took me home but nothing happened after that. I didn't really care since I was dating someone else and found the drunken incident rather embarrassing.

Anyways, fast forward a few months to a Saturday, my whore of a friend Gina got drunk and started flirting with my date. I just thought it was the booze, but found out the next day that they had a one night stand a few days ago. Yep, my life was turning into a soap opera. I was so upset ... not in a heartbroken way, but in a turning-into-hulk-angry kinda way.

Vowing never to talk to them again, and deciding they weren't worth sulking about, I went to work on Monday looking fabulous (well, the best I could do). And guess who I ran into in morning subway ride - the forced set up guy! We had a nice talk and exchanged numbers and the next day he asked me out and since then my life has turned into a happy sitcom (second season, btw)

+ Reply to Thread